Euro 2020 : Quarter finals

BOF

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

This is what annoys me.

So Grealish is basically only going to be used when Southgate needs him to get the team out of the shit.

This is how it is this time, unfortunately. Hopefully Jack can make himself more of a presense for WC. I feel like he's a bit of an outsider in this team.

Just now, jjaacckk91 said:

How did Ukraine get this far in to the tournament, even when Pickford gifts them a golden chance they don't even get close to making anything happen

With how the tournament works really, they lost two out of three group games which people missed. Sweden missed plenty of chances and would've been a tougher match up for England given they're better defensively and mobile and quick front three.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

With how the tournament works really, they lost two out of three group games which people missed. Sweden missed plenty of chances and would've been a tougher match up for England given they're better defensively and mobile and quick front three.

Good points. Sweden also has a really good record against England. 

Just now, KAZZAM said:

Pickford looks shaky everytime he's involved. 

Rarely makes errors in major tournament though so bucks the trend of every England keeper in last 20 years so far.

Average at club level but one of those who steps up for the national team.

1 hour ago, Tegis said:

For us outsiders, this thread will be by orders of magnitude more entertaining than the game :D

Still entertaining thread 👌

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I didn't catch the Sweden game but I can't believe this team beat Sweden.

The Sweden I saw in the group absolutely mauls this team, isak and forsberg looked fantastic.

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

That is a factual statement.

But look at the teams they have had to beat to do that. That was why the Germany win was so big - it was the first decent country Southgate has actually beaten in tournament football. Although a pretty poor vintage for Germany.

In the past tournaments we have gone out to Brazil, Portugal, Italy, a good German team. Southgate has never come up against a team like that (apart from Croatia at the 2018 WC) and he lost. You can only beat what is put in front of you but I do think he's been lucky with the draws he's had.

In past tournaments you have also gone out to teams like Iceland or failed to make it out of the group entirely. 

In the entire history of tournament football your country had only made the semifinals twice before Southgate arrived. Once in the WC in 1966 and once in the Euros in 1996.

Southgate has doubled that total in the two tournaments he’s managed. 

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

Yep, let in 3 to a pretty poor Dutch side, lost to Austria, and beat North Macedonia by just 1 goal

Then got through with a last min winner against 10 man Sweden

We have definitely lucked out with the draw, but you can only beat what is put infront of you

Â