Emile Smith Rowe

Nigel

17 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

A couple of thoughts about this:

Is Smith-Rowe a CAM? my theory was Buendia would play in that position with Traore on the right and Grealish left side.

Is the Smith-Rowe bid a smokescreen for someone else?

Or is Smith-Rowe a backup to Grealish if the latter has injury problems?

Don't get me wrong, taking Arsenal's young talent would be good business but I just know nothing about Smith-Rowe.

i think it could be any of:

Grealish - ESR - Buendia

ESR - Grealish - Buendia

Grealish - Buendia - ESR

tbh.....i think if those 3 did play, they could just start on paper in X/Y/Z position, but just end up roaming, interchanging and causing absolute mayhem.

• Like 1

Smith Rowe would play as the No.10, that's where he played all last season and Grealish played on the left for us, doesn't really make sense to swap them around. If we wanted to move Grealish into the middle we would be trying to sign a left winger, Smith Rowe is someone who has played most of his career centrally.

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Grealish - ESR - Buendia

ESR - Grealish - Buendia

Grealish - Buendia - ESR

tbh.....i think if those 3 did play, they could just start on paper in X/Y/Z position, but just end up roaming, interchanging and causing absolute mayhem.

I think it'd be more like this too. All three would probably have a defined starting postion, but they'd be trusted to communicate and move around at will, which would be a nightmare to defend against, and would increase the service to Watkins dramatically.

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

A traffic cone would be better

I mean I understand Barkleys form fell off a cliff after his injury and the Covid shutdown, but do people really think he was absolutely useless during his entire time at the club? He was a big part of the 7-2 win over Liverpool, scored the winner at Leicester, nabbed an assist away at Arsenal and scored the winner at Southampton. That's 6 to arguably 12 points we may not have secured without him. If a traffic cone can secure us more points then that then we need to switch tactics immediately.

• Like 1

i think he would play as a no10 but would move round like Grealish does.

If we played a 2/3 in midfield we would be so much better than a 3/3.

We need a link from defence to attack, too many times last year we looked like a 5 / 5 formation.

Luiz   ???????

Buendia  ESR   Grealish

Watkins

19 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Grealish - ESR - Buendia

ESR - Grealish - Buendia

Grealish - Buendia - ESR

Just roaming around, chilling with Ollie and scoring goals for fun. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Carew was our biggest signing since Collymore imo given he wasn't washed up when we got him (unlike Pires, Ginola, Schmeichel who are biggest names we've signed in last 20 years based on their reputations in the game). Was going to add John Terry to that list but would've been unfair as he did play well for us for the season, difficult to judge though as we weren't premier league then.

Darren Bent would also be close to top, just frustrating he was right signing, wrong time.

I'd say Merson before Carew. JPA and Luc Nilis even. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, useless said:

Smith Rowe would play as the No.10, that's where he played all last season and Grealish played on the left for us, doesn't really make sense to swap them around. If we wanted to move Grealish into the middle we would be trying to sign a left winger, Smith Rowe is someone who has played most of his career centrally.

Then why do you think Percy has said he will play on the left of the attacking 3?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

I think it's probably just his opinon or guess as to what might happen.

I’m not sure Percy does ‘opinion’ in this context, but I can’t be arsed to hunt out the quote!

I do suspect Grealish wants to play central and this could be integral to any conversations regarding his new contract. I also don’t see the transition from playing central of an attacking 3 to playing on the left of an attacking 3 being as difficult as imagined. But we shall see.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Thanks 2

I could foresee us playing with a pretty fluid attacking midfield. We already know that Jack can float about the pitch even if he's ostensibly on the left, Buendia I doubt is going to play particularly rigidly either, so another attacking mid coming I'd anticipate is going to be expected to moving around the pitch as and when needed too.

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

Buendia is a class player whos proven how good he is over the last few years, ESR might turn out to be the next Franny Jeffers for all we know.

I'd rather get the better player than a signing that just upsets a group of fans, buts thats just me - I'm more interested in what happens on the pitch than "my **** is bigger than yours" statements

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Arsenal fans are without a doubt coming on here watching and reading your views lol.

Hey Arsenal fans. We'm considerably richer than yaw. 

And Grealish is staying right here. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

This constant clamour for Jack to play in the middle baffles me.  Literally every single time he's played there he's looked less effective than he does on the left.  Literally every time.  Why do people keep suggesting this is completely beyond me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

This constant clamour for Jack to play in the middle baffles me.  Literally every single time he's played there he's looked less effective than he does on the left.  Literally every time.  Why do people keep suggesting this is completely beyond me. 

image.png.7fefa22a0b7717aeb01cc285d4ed6bc1.png

This.  Stats above include England appearances.  Jack is much more productive on the left.

I think the "Play Jack Middle" discussion comes from a couple of things:

1. He plays better there in FIFA 21 because he doesn't have pace to be a great on the left in the game
  2. Traditionally the number 10 plays in the hole, so it's a common misconception that your most creative player will play best in that spot.  

1 hour ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I mean I understand Barkleys form fell off a cliff after his injury and the Covid shutdown, but do people really think he was absolutely useless during his entire time at the club? He was a big part of the 7-2 win over Liverpool, scored the winner at Leicester, nabbed an assist away at Arsenal and scored the winner at Southampton. That's 6 to arguably 12 points we may not have secured without him. If a traffic cone can secure us more points then that then we need to switch tactics immediately.

For every game you point out where he won us points, there is a game where his total lack of effort cost us points.

Traffic cone is is an apt description.

31 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Just playing devils advocate, but could it not be a case of Jack would look better playing in the middle if he had better and more creative players on each side of him on the wings (ie Buendia & ESR). If teams are also going to double up on him in the middle it leaves a more space for the aforementioned creative wingers on the flanks. 

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Just playing devils advocate, but could it not be a case of Jack would look better playing in the middle if he had better and more creative players on each side of him on the wings (ie Buendia & ESR). If teams are also going to double up on him in the middle it leaves a more space for the aforementioned creative wingers on the flanks. 

either way, aren't these nice problems to have.