James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

IF there's truth in the interest, I can't see Southampton agreeing at £30m, or being generally easy to deal with. A quick glance at the VVD deal is indicative. 

They'll rebuff early approaches and the only way it happens is if JWP says he wants to go, at which point they'll make our lives miserable for 2 months before agreeing to an inflated deal with a big upfront fee plus add-ons etc.

This feels like a major stretch, can't see it really. The cost would be massive, he's a good player but not the style of midfielder we need to add for that cost too. His free kicks would be great though. 

The only way I see this happening is if he is seething about not making the England squad, knows next year is probably his last chance to go to a World Cup and decides he wants a move to a team challenging. None of the Sky 6 are going to want him or play him in a majority of games, leaving the likes of us as his best chance to make it happen.

Playing with Mings, Grealish, Watkins would certainly help the England cause too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, avfcDJ said:

Never heard of that account, are they reliable?

They are just amplifying the initial puff piece. Part of the circle jerk. It's a Twitter account probably run by a teenager

39 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Spin it the other way, we're buying players to convince him to stay 

And we're not buying cheap... This is one hell of a sales pitch that we mean business 

Yep, You don't bridge the gap on the so called elite by spending pennies or farting around. The club have been trying to get it into peoples heads for a while now that the owners are ambitious. I'm still gobsmacked by the amount of people that still aren't listening. Including our own. 

• Like 3

Just now, est1874 said:

I can tell you really enjoy the summer transfer window.

I love it. Loved the Buendia link and thought it was legit chance. This however is a poorly written speculative puff piece and it's already 8 pages long so I'm out. Have fun in here

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Who would he conceivably replace in the starting XI?

McGinn. Similar stats except at dribbling (and being fouled) where he is worse. Much better ball retention than Mcginn though and averages 65 passes a game. Our highest is at 45 ish. So hopefully signing him would improve our possession game and keep us ticking over. Plus aside from scoring goals from set pieces he scored more goals from open play than Mcginn did this season as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s not just direct free kicks that he brings but great delivery on corners and indirect freekicks too, you could be talking 10+ additional goals a season potentially.

It is like we are taking a 'moneyball' approach to it. What don't we do? Be a threat from set pieces. How to remedy that? Buy the best dead ball expert in the country. 

I like it. 

Still can't see it happening though

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'm angry about bullshit rumour with obvious speculative wording i.e. no substance. I get pissed off with the countless made up Grealish to leave Villa articles, don't you?

Not really. 

This guy doesn't seem to have a history of just writing made up stories about transfers. 

I can't see it happening but maybe this guy has heard something off someone he considers reliable. 

I just don't get the anger.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

I love it. Loved the Buendia link and thought it was legit chance. This however is a poorly written speculative puff piece and it's already 8 pages long so I'm out. Have fun in here

bad boys ii GIF

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

It is like we are taking a 'moneyball' approach to it. What don't we do? Be a threat from set pieces. How to remedy that? Buy the best dead ball expert in the country. 

I like it. 

Still can't see it happening though

Yeah it kinda is.

We need to score goals? Buy the best goalscorer in the Championship (Watkins)
We need more creativity? Buy the most creative player in the Championship (Buendia)
We need better set-pieces? Buy one of the best set-piece takers in the country.

I like it too. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Is it 100% record!? That’s good going. 

100%. I believe in recent memory it is McCormack, Hourihane and somebody in our first season back in the PL. Might have been Drinkwater. 

So I don't guarantee they will be any good. 

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Nice link, I just can't see it happening. 

We didn't buy Sanson not to play him. 

To be fair, we bought him because the price was right and we were in the middle of the Bodymoor Heath covid outbreak. I'd say he was bought in as cover just incase and for squad depth. 

50 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

The last player we signed from Southampton turned out pretty good. Get it done even though it does feel like a complete nothing article. 

Hassan Kachloul?

Thought he was rubbish

Edit.. Matt Targett, just realised!

Edited by Junxs

With the amount of free kicks jack wins, JWP would be in double figures just on free kick goals. 

it's a massive stretch. He's "one of their own" and will see us as their competition for "best of the rest".

As with VVD they'd hold us for at least 60m. Just not going to happen imo. 

Â