Dwight McNeil

tomav84

Have nothing against the kid but there’s better value out there for the money Burnley would want. Buendia is a good example, Burnley would want more than what we paid Norwich for him and no way is McNeil better than Buendia. 

If we’re after a classic winger we already have one in Ashley Young, granted he’s 36 and not 21 but he can cross a ball better than most and if we want to go that way we could move Grealish inside and have Young and Targett on the left.

Some strange comments on this thread.  lot of people not really rating him.  Think he's an outright old fashioned winger not worth the 30 odd million we'd need to pay.

I've always rated him and think when I've seen Burnley he's been a class or two above the rest of their team.  he's only 21 which still surprises me.  he's not a winger in the old fashioned Tony Daley since as he's more skillful than pacey and could easily play elsewhere in midfield or in a 3.  he is clear better than el ghazi but I expect I'll get a few protests on  that one.  I think he'll cost 40m tbh as Burnley won't want to sell, but I'd love him here especially if Jack leaves.  Will be a world class player in a season or two imo.

• Like 2

I'm not so sure he would cost the £40-£50 million that some are suggesting, and doubt he would cost more than Buendia if I'm honest. Burnley seem to have to sell in order to bring in new players, and he's one of their few saleable assets - Dyche may well feel that with around £25 - £30m to spend he could plug a few gaps in their squad. All speculation of course based on nothing but a hunch

13 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

I'm not so sure he would cost the £40-£50 million that some are suggesting, and doubt he would cost more than Buendia if I'm honest. Burnley seem to have to sell in order to bring in new players, and he's one of their few saleable assets - Dyche may well feel that with around £25 - £30m to spend he could plug a few gaps in their squad. All speculation of course based on nothing but a hunch

They had a £31m bid for Tarwoski last summer from West Ham and they turned that down. Like most premier league teams they have enough money not to have to sell anyone they don't want to. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, villa89 said:

They had a £31m bid for Tarwoski last summer from West Ham and they turned that down. Like most premier league teams they have enough money not to have to sell anyone they don't want to. 

That was last summer. Covid has significantly depressed the market even further since. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That was last summer. Covid has significantly depressed the market even further since. 

Also don't they have new american owners? Might show their ambition, or lack off, this window.

Dyche will probably keep Burnley up until the end of time and the new owners might just want to skim off money from a couple of player sales.

2 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

Some strange comments on this thread.  lot of people not really rating him.  Think he's an outright old fashioned winger not worth the 30 odd million we'd need to pay.

I've always rated him and think when I've seen Burnley he's been a class or two above the rest of their team.  he's only 21 which still surprises me.  he's not a winger in the old fashioned Tony Daley since as he's more skillful than pacey and could easily play elsewhere in midfield or in a 3.  he is clear better than el ghazi but I expect I'll get a few protests on  that one.  I think he'll cost 40m tbh as Burnley won't want to sell, but I'd love him here especially if Jack leaves.  Will be a world class player in a season or two imo.

strong statement this and think it's probably where most have reservations  about this potential signing

i don't think you'll get many disagreeing that he's better than el ghazi, but i think we can improve on anwar for much less than 40m

2 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

Some strange comments in this thread? There is now.

He's an old fashioned winger but he's not an old fashioned winger.

We'd need to pay 30m but we'd need to pay 40m.

World class in a season or 2?

No offence mate but you're having a Weston.

3 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

2 goals and 6 assists in a 442 in 3000 minutes. Traore got what 7 and 7 in near  2/3rds the minutes and many reckon he's not good enough. If  McNeil signed for us last season and had 8 goal involvements in 3000 minutes many would want him shot from a cannon. Totally overhyped player

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Also don't they have new american owners? Might show their ambition, or lack off, this window.

Dyche will probably keep Burnley up until the end of time and the new owners might just want to skim off money from a couple of player sales.

New American owner that borrowed to purchase the club and then saddle it with debt in a similar fashion to the Glazers from my understanding? Doesn't seem they're intent on turning Burnley into European challengers if that's the case. I haven't looked into it personally though so shouldn't comment but I will anyway as the global trend seems to be chat shit about what you know little of. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

2 goals and 6 assists in a 442 in 3000 minutes. Traore got what 7 and 7 in near  2/3rds the minutes and many reckon he's not good enough. If  McNeil signed for us last season and had 8 goal involvements in 3000 minutes many would want him shot from a cannon. Totally overhyped player

If McNeil played with the likes of Grealish, Watkins etc then perhaps his stats would look far better than with Burnley.

He's got a good few years experience now and is still only 21. We've seen how much our management team can bring on and improve players. Targett, Konsa, Jack and more have significantly improved over the last few years. 

Judging a player by stats alone is short-sighted. It might get you fantasy football points but in an actual game, a lot of the time, there is a player who's doing the work to set up an easy assist for a team-mate, that goes un-noticed and not rewarded with points. 

It's also worth considering how he could increase output playing in a different formation, a more advanced role etc. 

Moneyball/stats approach has some benefit but it isn't a rule and it excludes a lot of important factors. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

New American owner that borrowed to purchase the club and then saddle it with debt in a similar fashion to the Glazers from my understanding? Doesn't seem they're intent on turning Burnley into European challengers if that's the case. I haven't looked into it personally though so shouldn't comment but I will anyway as the global trend seems to be chat shit about what you know little of. 

That's certainly what I read as well, at the time of the takeover, dunno if anything has happened since then to change that impression. 

12 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

But it's not any more..It's gone mad.

A 19 year old Sterling or however old he was would be touted for £100m if City wanted him from Liverpool today

For 40-50m I'd still be expecting a guy mid 20s who's played a few international tournaments and is regular, key player in major league and also played a few seasons in europa or CL.

Not sure that figure range just stretches to potential which is still largely with McNeil. Newcastle signed Saint Maximn for 20m or so two years back and he'd played in the Bundesliga and in europe for Nice IIRC so that's more type I mean, Traore himself very experienced in those competitions and he was under 20m.

Just over a decade ago we signed likes of Milner and Downing for 12m and Downing had been to a world cup.

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

I read that too at the time. The first paragraph of the guardian article went like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/02/burnley-us-takeover-has-left-club-90m-worse-off-and-loaded-with-debt

Heady recent wins at Liverpool and Arsenal have helped keep Sean Dyche’s Burnley team eight points above the Premier League relegation zone, but at Turf Moor the air is still clearing over a £170m US takeover which has used the club’s own money and loaded it with debt.

I also heard an interview with Matt Slater (seems like an expert on football finances - writes about it a lot at least) where he drew clear comparisons between the two takeovers but would wait to make a final judgement on the Burnley takeover.

Of course, it all depends on how this debt is structured and so on. An unplanned relegation could fook them up big time though.

None of his stats suggest he is better than El Ghazi, just because he is British and younger it seems people get over excited. He's looked ok when he's played against us, but nothing special at all. Admittedly that is small sample set of matches to have watched him in.

Obviously depends heavily on what the cost would be. Definitely for me the most uninspiring link so far and only resurfacing because Everton apparently want to sign him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I read that too at the time. The first paragraph of the guardian article went like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/02/burnley-us-takeover-has-left-club-90m-worse-off-and-loaded-with-debt

Heady recent wins at Liverpool and Arsenal have helped keep Sean Dyche’s Burnley team eight points above the Premier League relegation zone, but at Turf Moor the air is still clearing over a £170m US takeover which has used the club’s own money and loaded it with debt.

I also heard an interview with Matt Slater (seems like an expert on football finances - writes about it a lot at least) where he drew clear comparisons between the two takeovers but would wait to make a final judgement on the Burnley takeover.

Of course, it all depends on how this debt is structured and so on. An unplanned relegation could fook them up big time though.

I remember now. Simon Jordan mentioned this a few months ago on talkshite. Apparently the owners raised the initial 30m to push the sale through then took a loan out to cover the rest over a 10 year period. Left them with an annual deficit that needs balancing. Pretty scummy.

26 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

None of his stats suggest he is better than El Ghazi, just because he is British and younger it seems people get over excited. He's looked ok when he's played against us, but nothing special at all. Admittedly that is small sample set of matches to have watched him in.

Obviously depends heavily on what the cost would be. Definitely for me the most uninspiring link so far and only resurfacing because Everton apparently want to sign him.

I thought he looked good and on another level to El Ghazi, tbh. El Ghazi's scoring record was great last season, but he didn't have that much more to his game for me—McNeil seems more than at home in the Prem from the times I've seen him play. And he's only young too.

• Like 1

Â