Dwight McNeil

tomav84

I like him, hes played in hard knocks team in Burnley and made a lot of appearances for someone who is 22. 

We want quality but we also need to play smart. I think hes the kind of player who can kick on a few gears in his own ability but also when surrounded by better players/tactics.

The question is where he fits in our tactics. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

We don't play the expensive wingers we currently have, I'd rather we didn't bring in more of them to compete for spots on the bench 

They haven't often been fit to be selected and when they have they haven't made too much of a case to stay on the field. I wanted McNeil last season and if we could shift the wingers that we have and don't play, then I still think McNeil could do a job for us on the left. Could we do better? If we had £50m+ to spend on that position and the player would also be willing to join us, quite possibly. If we would be in the market for a winger, he could be one that would be available at a reasonable price and would probably be up for the challenge of playing for the proper claret & blues.  

21 hours ago, PaulC said:

Probably the one player they have with any quality 

He isnt even the best attacking player in the Burnley squad. Cornet and Weghorst are both better and would probably pick Lennon as well

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Craigy1874 said:

Weghorst?! are you being serious?

He is a very good player if used right. Just because he is 6"6 people assume he is a targetman and they just launch long balls at him

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He is a very good player if used right. Just because he is 6"6 people assume he is a targetman and they just launch long balls at him

I thought he was excellent at Wolfsburg , he’s sort of like Libor Kozak.

Weghorst scored 59 and assisted 20 goals in 118 appearances in the Bundesliga, that seems like good going to me. He's only been with Burnley a few months, so probably harsh to judge him on that, especially also as coming into a struggling team, 2 goals and 3 assists isn't even that bad, if you look at his goals and assists contributions they've all come in games that Burnley have won or drawn and in all but one instance, they wouldn't have taken any points at all if it wasn't for a goal or assist from him, and that one exception was when they beat Brighton 3-0, a game in which he got a goal and an assist.

As for O'Neill I think he's a good player, but we already have some good options in the wide forward/No.10 area, so if we're to sign another should be a significant upgrade on what we already have.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, useless said:

Weghorst scored 59 and assisted 20 goals in 118 appearances in the Bundesliga, that seems like good going to me. He's only been with Burnley a few months, so probably harsh to judge him on that, especially also as coming into a struggling team, 2 goals and 3 assists isn't even that bad, if you look at his goals and assists contributions they've all come in games that Burnley have won or drawn and in all but one instance, they wouldn't have taken any points at all if it wasn't for a goal or assist from him, and that one exception was when they beat Brighton 3-0, a game in which he got a goal and an assist.

As for O'Neill I think he's a good player, but we already have some good options in the wide forward/No.10 area, so if we're to sign another should be a significant upgrade on what we already have.

Yep, Weghorst definitely falls into the 'he's 6' 6" and therefore is a target man' category, in much the same way Peter Crouch was assumed to be based on the fact that he was tall. People just see a big man and think, lump it up and let him win it. He is actually quite adept at dropping deep, linking play and using clever movement to get on the end of moves. At least he was at Wolfsburg.

As for O'Neill, he was decent in the 80's at Forest, however based on the fact he managed used for a few years about 15 years ago and is now in his 70's, I'm going to pass on him as a No. 10/wide forward.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

Yep, Weghorst definitely falls into the 'he's 6' 6" and therefore is a target man' category, in much the same way Peter Crouch was assumed to be based on the fact that he was tall. People just see a big man and think, lump it up and let him win it. He is actually quite adept at dropping deep, linking play and using clever movement to get on the end of moves. At least he was at Wolfsburg.

As for O'Neill, he was decent in the 80's at Forest, however based on the fact he managed used for a few years about 15 years ago and is now in his 70's, I'm going to pass on him as a No. 10/wide forward.

Give the old boy a game, he's brought his shirt....:cheers:

Ireland boss Martin O'Neill will not reveal why he has a fondness for the  number 31 | Daily Mail Online

9 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Why are we touting a left-footed, predominantly left-sided winger as potential competition for our right back?

Isn't he an inverted winger, left footed and plays on the right?

I possibly haven't paid enough attention to him.

Anyways, the job of getting down the wings and getting crosses in is for the full backs in our system - he's not a full back so there's no point in considering him - I compared him to Cash to point out the peculiarity of him being talked about as a potential signing - we'd either have to change the system or force him into a position he's never played.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Isn't he an inverted winger, left footed and plays on the right?

I possibly haven't paid enough attention to him.

Anyways, the job of getting down the wings and getting crosses in is for the full backs in our system - he's not a full back so there's no point in considering him - I compared him to Cash to point out the peculiarity of him being talked about as a potential signing - we'd either have to change the system or force him into a position he's never played.

He has started playing more on the right this season and last but has played about 80% of his career games at LW/LM.

Ah ok, but there was another post saying he would be competition for Cash as well so it just confused me as to why he would ever be considered for RB. He has played a bit at 10 as well and does press relatively well (considering he plays for Burnley) so could be considered a potential option (if the price was right) as one of the two tens in that system. A lot of adaptation/training would be required though IMO. However we are heavily stocked in that area and I think there are other more pressing areas of the pitch that we need to add to before coming back to the winger/inside forward/10 positions. 

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

He has started playing more on the right this season and last but has played about 80% of his career games at LW/LM.

Ah ok, but there was another post saying he would be competition for Cash as well so it just confused me as to why he would ever be considered for RB. He has played a bit at 10 as well and does press relatively well (considering he plays for Burnley) so could be considered a potential option (if the price was right) as one of the two tens in that system. A lot of adaptation/training would be required though IMO. However we are heavily stocked in that area and I think there are other more pressing areas of the pitch that we need to add to before coming back to the winger/inside forward/10 positions. 

I assumed the poster who said he'd be competition for Cash was just saying that to highlight Gerrard's previous bias towards a more narrow formation.

22 hours ago, Craigy1874 said:

Weghorst?! are you being serious?

I've always thought he's looked very very good when I've seen him play, I'd definitely take him at Villa, ahead of McNeil for sure. He was an upgrade on Wood 

Â