Dwight McNeil

tomav84

9 minutes ago, Thug said:

52D77315-5E23-47BB-98FA-C7FA18348A3A.jpeg

Whats does SCA mean?

Dont think its as simple as just comparing player to player, you have to consider that one team finished 11th, with enough points to usually get you 7th) and the other finished just above the drop zone.

Also the teams style of play, for example the same set of players struggling under Bruce suddenly became very attacking and dominating games under Smiths tactics.

Sean Dyche is more similar to Bruceball, I bet Jacks stats under the 2 managers were extremely different in the same season under Bruce and then Smith.

I'm not sure there's a fair way to compare players in differing scenarios using stats, but using my eyes I see El Ghazi as wasteful and McNeil being good under pressure with a fine passing range. I think you put McNiel in a better team (one that likes to attack) with better players around him and you see his stats improve tenfold. 

• Like 1

The thing with McNeil is he’s good at what he’s required to do at Burnley, which is in a limited and rigid set up.

Does he have more to offer but unable to currently highlight his full skill set/ability?

Maybe our scouting network believe he is capable of much more and therefore worth a punt. I imagine he also has the personality traits desired by the club. 

I don't know much about him as a player, but from what i've heard he seems to be a hard worker. Maybe thats what we are after. Someone who puts the graft in... like Ollie does. 

• Like 2

His name sounds like he's MON's German son born in Scotland. No thanks! Bring me an Emi or a Jordan. They just sound more sophisticated.

The only Neil I want to hear down the Villa is the Diamond fella belting out Sweet Caroline.

• Haha 1

He's a Coutinho and a Griezmann.  Costs so much to buy him it is just a non starter. Will never live up to the bag.

You just entertain these ones. If you're Martin O'Neill you do but a sensible club knows there is absolutely zero value in this one.

Avoid. Avoid. Avoid 

• Like 1

We could cash in on Jack and buy McNeil and Abraham. Maybe use the leftover money on a centre mid like Will Hughes.

Watkins Abraham

Young Hughes McGinn McNeil

Targett Mings Konsa Cash

Martinez

4-4-2, bring back the O’Neill days. That’s the Villa I want to see.

Spoiler

John Cena Reaction GIF by WWE

Edited by a m ole
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

Replacing Grealish with McNeil is like replacing your house with a brick!

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

It would like selling your Ferrari and getting a shed.

Well, Grealish is irreplacable isn't he? He created more chances per 90 minutes than anyone else in the league last season, most fouled player by miles, dribbles up the pitch and relieves pressure, on and on and on. He's one of the best players in the league, ergo one of the best 50 or so players in the world. Whoever we buy to replace him is going to be a brick or a shed in comparison. 

The question the club faces is what to do if and when he leaves. One thing we could do is try to buy a player in their prime, who has some of the same attributes but just not as good as Jack. The good thing about that is that you get a player in their prime; the bad thing is they might only be good for 2 or 3 seasons, and even if they are good for longer, you rapidly end up having to decide whether to offer them an expensive new contract as they get around 30. Another option is to buy a player who is younger, not as good, but maybe has more potential, not necessarily to be as good as Jack (who will be after all), but maybe to be better than the other guy you could have replaced him with. 

Now clearly, Dwight McNeil is a type 2 signing. I'm not saying he's the best type 2 signing; maybe there are 21 year olds from Europe or S America who are better players, who would accept a contract from us without CL football, who we would be confident would settle in England and do well in the PL. But you can see that the temptation for clubs with McNeil is he has potential, we already know he can play well in England, he doesn't need to settle. And above all that, he has played A LOT of top-flight football for a player of his age. In fact, not many players got to 100 PL appearances before McNeil will do; the list will be Fabregas, Rooney, Sterling, Richards, Milner, Cattermole, Rashford, Ward-Prowse, Lennon, Ronaldo, Lukaku and maybe Henderson. He'll get there faster than Walcott, Dele Alli & Gabby, among others. Those aren't all winners, but that's not bad company! The fact that he'd played a lot of senior football by a young age was one of the attractions of Konsa as well. 

31 minutes ago, a m ole said:

We could cash in on Jack and buy McNeil and Abraham. Maybe use the leftover money on a centre mid like Will Hughes.

Watkins Abraham

Targett Mings Konsa Cash

Martinez

Hide contents

What’s going on with Cena’s hair?!

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Watkins Abraham

Targett Mings Konsa Cash

Martinez

Reveal hidden contents

NURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

If it includes shot creating actions for yourself then I rest my case

Take a look at the table again.

AEG created 3.07 shot scoring chances per 90 minutes.

1,68 from a direct pass to a colleague

0.5 from a pass from a dead ball

0.22 from dribbling

0.34 from shooting (and then a rebound to another player I’m guessing)

0.34 from being fouled

This is separate from his 3.5 odd shots per game.

In an attacking sense statistically this is a no contest.

BUT Dyche sets his wingers up like this, because their chap on the other wing has similar stats.

but you asked for the stats, and I gave them to you.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Thug said:

Take a look at the table again.

AEG created 3.07 shot scoring chances per 90 minutes.

1,68 from a direct pass to a colleague

0.5 from a pass from a dead ball

0.22 from dribbling

0.34 from shooting (and then a rebound to another player I’m guessing)

0.34 from being fouled

This is separate from his 3.5 odd shots per game.

In an attacking sense statistically this is a no contest.

BUT Dyche sets his wingers up like this, because their chap on the other wing has similar stats.

but you asked for the stats, and I gave them to you.

That's accross his whole career? I would like to see Premier League stats only, more comparative.

Last season he must have had something like 27 pot shots ( or trickles into goalkeeper hands) per 90mins 😊 

Edited by Czarnikjak

Anyone in the Burnley squads stats are thraped in my eyes as Dyche pushes them above their station year in - year out, so there's every chance he'd come here & his stats may even drop. 

It reminds me of when we bought that awful striker from Brentford who ended up pledging his alegiance to SHA and being crap for them also after a falsely encouraging start. He was highly rated in a team that was over-reaching at the time in that division (although they reinvested the money they robbed off us very well) and this somehow feels like a premier league version of those events.

Edit: Scott Hogan that's who i'm on about...says it all i'd practically forgotten his name already.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

Â