Dwight McNeil

tomav84

43 minutes ago, sne said:

I don't watch enough Burnley games to say and when I have I've not really noticed McNeil much as far as I can remember. Know he had a good game against us this season.

Am I right in thinking that he's more of a traditional winger, left footed who plays on the left. Good at crossing. The type we've so far not really used under Smith?

He is used that way by Dyche as Burnley play more old-school football with wingers getting crosses in for Wood.  I don't see any reason why he can play on the right cutting inside. I think he is a decent player and can see why Dean would like him. 

• Like 1

Position on this the same as earlier in the summer - think he’ll be a cracking player but wouldn’t pay £40m+ for him and Burnley will want more than that. The Downing comparison a few posts ago was meant as an insult but probably accurate in terms of style of play, but more to his game defensively than SD ever had.

23 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Depends how much stock you put in that whispers guy on twitter, but he's claimed we were only interested when we got an enquiry for Jack 6 weeks ago, but that we've not moved forward at all with it since.

None at all.

We wouldn't entertain selling Jack and McNeil is one of the most unsuitable replacements I could imagine if we did. I would much rather play Louis Barry or Phiogene-Bidace there as they at least have promise to be top players and we already have them.

25 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

He is used that way by Dyche as Burnley play more old-school football with wingers getting crosses in for Wood.  I don't see any reason why he can play on the right cutting inside. I think he is a decent player and can see why Dean would like him. 

Is he worth the fee he would cost if he's "decent" thou?

Even at £25m (which I think he'll cost a lot more than) he's as expensive as some really, really good players from mainland Europe are rumored at. 

Maybe it's because I've not watched him enough but this is one rumor I'm not excited about, at all.

2 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Seems like I'm one of the few who really rates this lad and would be very happy if we signed him, with him on the left, Jack moving Central and Buendia on the right I think we'd cause problems for any team. Puts a shift in and would bring something different from our other wide options, with El Ghazi and Traore excellent rotation players.

I rate him as well, I'd like to see him in a Villa shirt.

I think buy him, move Jack back center and have Buendia on the right.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Not just a LW but can play left Midfield also, so he reallys knows the game on the left flank, I've a feeling he'd link well with Target.

He'd be a much better upgrade on Ghazi as well.

Just now, Dave-R said:

Not just a LW but can play left Midfield also, so he reallys knows the game on the left flank, I've a feeling he'd link well with Target.

He'd be a much better upgrade on Ghazi as well.

How is he better than El Ghazi?

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

Faster, trickier, smarter on the ball for a start. Then he can dazzle multiple opponents at once. At Villa he would shine i think and Smith would improve him. If Ghazi and McNeil faced off, McNeil would have Ghazi number I reckon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

Faster, trickier, smarter on the ball for a start. Then he can dazzle multiple opponents at once. At Villa he would shine i think and Smith would improve him. If Ghazi and McNeil faced off, McNeil would have Ghazi number I reckon.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want El Ghazi starting for Villa, but I dispute all things you just said. I doubt he's faster, trickier or smarter. I've never seen him "dazzle multiple opponents" although I'm not a Burnley fan, but his output is very average.

El Ghazi has just scored 10 goals, despite not being a starter for a fair amount of the season. Also, I definitely would not be moving one of the most effective left wingers in the league to accommodate a very average one. 

Maybe I'm being harsh, but I haven't seen anything remarkable from McNeil. Or even above average.

• Like 1

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

Having read a page or two in this thread,  I’ve come to the  conclusion that Dwight McNeil is a slow, crap, winger that we’ve got no chance of buying for less that £50m. 😉

I'd say its 50/50

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

All El Ghazi ever does is cut inside and shoot, and occasionally one will fly onto the top corner and everyone thinks hes amazing for a few weeks.

I find him the most frustrating player in our squad, theres a reason we are looking for players in his position. So many times you see someone free who he can square the ball to for a good chance but he messes it up getting tackled trying to cut inside or blasting it into row z. The frustrating thing is that he shows glimpes of composure (for example when taking penalties) but he lacks this compsure in open play for some reason. If he could learn to calm down in attacking situations he might see what the better players see, but he always seems to be in a rush without realising whats going on around him. I'd love to see his chance creation stats as I believe they will be extremely low.

Dwight McNeil actully has the ability to pick passes out and I think he is one of the best at mid to long range passers in the league, rarely loses possession and is quite tricky as well. 

Dont think hes quick as El Ghazi, but he definitely a better footballer, of that theres no doubt. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guess It's me not paying attention much to him or Burnley. When they play is usually the time I rather choose to watch Italian, German, French or Spanish football.

10 minutes ago, Junxs said:

All El Ghazi ever does is cut inside and shoot, and occasionally one will fly onto the top corner and everyone thinks hes amazing for a few weeks.

I find him the most frustrating player in our squad, theres a reason we are looking for players in his position. So many times you see someone free who he can square the ball to for a good chance but he messes it up getting tackled trying to cut inside or blasting it into row z. The frustrating thing is that he shows glimpes of composure (for example when taking penalties) but he lacks this compsure in open play for some reason. If he could learn to calm down in attacking situations he might see what the better players see, but he always seems to be in a rush without realising whats going on around him. I'd love to see his chance creation stats as I believe they will be extremely low.

Dwight McNeil actully has the ability to pick passes out and I think he is one of the best at mid to long range passers in the league, rarely loses possession and is quite tricky as well. 

Dont think hes quick as El Ghazi, but he definitely a better footballer, of that theres no doubt. 

52D77315-5E23-47BB-98FA-C7FA18348A3A.jpeg

• Like 4

Â