Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

7 hours ago, Wurzel said:

I would not be surprised if Jack didn't get a start. In fact I'm not even sure he will make a subs appearance. Southgate just doesn't rate him. Not saying I'm bothered, I want to see a fresh Jack for the start of next season, but the subs today were baffling. The game was calling out for Jack to create a second and Southgate didn't even consider it even though Mount was completely ineffective. I cannot see how this England team can win this with this manager.

we'll beat scotland to confirm our place in the next round, then southgate will rotate heavily for the czech game including giving jack a start. that will be all we see of him.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

He probably won’t make the bench next match and will be one of the 3 sitting out

Wouldn’t surprise me at all. Sancho did his stint outside of the squad - Jack next. 

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

I honestly barely celebrated the goal. We aren't doing anything different, playing players like Sterling who struggle desperately in possession. Then you have Jack who doesn't get a single minute, with even the terrible Rashford coming on.

First time in my life I'm struggling to get behind an England side, and it's because I have a dislike for Southgate. I don't like his indirect and hesitant answers to questions, and I don't like his selections. If he persists with this yeah we might get through the group, but we will be brushed aside by any top side.

Feel like I could have wrote this.

I get the 'get behind the team' mentality we should all have, staying positive etc but I'm just not convinced by us. We narrowly beat an ageing Croatian side. As soon as we come up against a half decent team we'll be out.

• Like 1

I find the reaction a bit nauseating, the BBC headline “Southgate got the big calls exactly right” being a prime example.

A right back at left back was madness, when he has 2 quality left back options. Why does he persist letting Kane play deep in midfield? A complete waste. Jack not getting a single minute. Rashford out of form coming on. Sterling shouldn’t have started. Walker was appalling.

If he’d have got the big calls exactly rights we’d have blown that poor Croatia team away by more than a single goal.

Our media never learn.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I find the reaction a bit nauseating, the BBC headline “Southgate got the big calls exactly right” being a prime example.

A right back at left back was madness, when he has 2 quality left back options. Why does he persist letting Kane play deep in midfield? A complete waste. Jack not getting a single minute. Rashford out of form coming on. Sterling shouldn’t have started. Walker was appalling.

If he’d have got the big calls exactly rights we’d have blown that poor Croatia team away by more than a single goal.

Our media never learn.

I don’t mind it - they’re just drumming up support whilst we’re at home. If we win games, it really doesn’t matter what team is put out there. The questions will come if we lose - and that would be irrelevant of the team that is fielded.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I don’t mind it - they’re just drumming up support whilst we’re at home. If we win games, it really doesn’t matter what team is put out there. The questions will come if we lose - and that would be irrelevant of the team that is fielded.

It’s too late then though isn’t it. If we’d have finished the game yesterday 0-0 or a loss there would have been some time to sort out the obvious holes in the plan. I think 1-0 with Sterling scoring it was a really bad outcome in the grand scheme of things.

I assume Gareth will continue with this weird team selection policy until we play someone good and he gets bitten on the arse.

If England get beat by a better side then that’s just football. 
If we go out with Tripper at left back, Sterling and Rashford on the field, Kane in CDM, Jack on the bench then it will be yet another tournament completely wasted by poor management.

I just wish the media would temper their enthusiasm a little and keep things in perspective. If we’d have beaten France 1-0 then sure, go nuts.

Edited by Genie

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Drumming up support, building the belief, getting fans to acknowledge that this is a good team... 

... All so they can smash him down afterwards when we inevitably fail... 

Lets see how much of a genius he is in the 2nd round vs Germany, France or Portugal 

We've got a long way to go

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Drumming up support, building the belief, getting fans to acknowledge that this is a good team... 

... All so they can smash him down afterwards when we inevitably fail... 

Lets see how much of a genius he is in the 2nd round vs Germany, France or Portugal 

We've got a long way to go

Don’t doubt it. I’m just not really bothered whether they go with “Southgate gets big calls right” or “Southgate chooses shit lineup and gets lucky” - the end result will be the same whatever happens. 

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Harry Kane as predicted egotistical shocking performance has raised no worries. It was the most obvious and shittest part of Englands day 

Alex Ferguson for example would bench him for that 

When the alternative is DCL I don't think there's any way you can bench Kane. Should really have taken Bamford or Watkins as a genuine option to replace Kane. I just don't see how DCL fits into the way that England want to play the game.

3 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

When the alternative is DCL I don't think there's any way you can bench Kane. Should really have taken Bamford or Watkins as a genuine option to replace Kane. I just don't see how DCL fits into the way that England want to play the game.

He'd actually play as a striker which would be a good start

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nicho said:

This all day, world class striker dropping in and trying to get ball off Phillips. Stay up front, run the line and wait for your chance.

There was one point where Phillips was deep to take the ball off Walker and there was Kane right by him near our own 12 years box!?! Kane was a massive weak link. Possibly England's worst player yesterday.

• Like 1

Kane coming deep works at Spurs as he has Son making runs behind him. Scotland will be far more tenacious than Croatia so you need to be busy against them. Kane coming 40 yards deep to pick the ball won't trouble them at all. Sadly if he continues to play like that, then I can only see Southgate picking Rashford and Sterling alongside him.

• Like 1

Â