Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

Just now, rbcuk said:

And that warrants saying he was excellent? Even his goal he miss hit the shot 

Scoring the only goal in a tight game = excellent. That's not difficult to grasp. Sterling has been bang out of form but he raised his game in an England shirt, I imagine because it gives him something he can't get at club level. GS is vindicated. But we still want to see Jack, surely he'll get the nod at some point against SJM. 

Personally it was a good and professional performance from England, after we scored I was quite comfortable in the feeling we'd see the game out.

Croatia are not a poor team and will still do some damage in this group and don't forget they were in a World Cup final only a few years ago.

A pity not to see Grealish but it was the correct decision.

Thought Mings was great.

And Phillips, take a bow son. Looks a fine player.

Rashford is dog dirt, should not be anywhere near a place in the England team. But he plays for Manure so there you go.

Why do the pundits refer to Mings playing in big pressure get for the first time so often?

Surely it's the same for some of the others but not a problem or mention of it for them.

Always some hidden agenda with some if these pundits.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Why do the pundits refer to Mings playing in big pressure get for the first time so often?

Surely it's the same for some of the others but not a problem or mention of it for them.

Did Coady ever get this? It is very strange, though no doubt it has something to do with not playing for one of the scum teams (and not being considered to be 'destined' to play for one of them).

By contrast, the way they talk about Maguire you'd think he was Nesta, Maldini, or John Terry.

Edited by His Name Is Death

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

So what you are saying is one mistake and you are out. As in results are key. 

I agree.

We won.

I agree.  I’ve said that’s great, I’m looking at the next game now.  We can’t afford to have that many chances next time or in latter stages and expect a win.  Against a poor/subdued Croatia we didn’t get Foden and Mount involved and Kane was non-existent.  Against bigger teams it will be harder so we need to figure how to get them in the game.

Delighted you are focusing on one game! Yes great win! Woohooo! Happy now?

• Like 3

Just now, Jareth said:

I didn't see any particular weakness or inexperience anywhere in the team, no dodgy players at all. For the first game, against that opposition, and a bloke from Leeds only just promoted getting MOTM - this is a huge huge start to a tournament. 

I saw a lot of poor performances today.

Phillips and Mings were the standouts but Kane and Mount fell way short of expectations.

Playing a right back on the left hindered our attack as Trippier always stopped to switch onto his right foot and although he scored the vital goal, Sterling was wasteful in the attack, giving the ball away constantly and failing to beat his man.

Walker also had a shocker.

So there is plenty to review and improve upon.

It’s not a bad thing to identify areas to tweak and alter and that was far from a fluid and cohesive performance. 

England can certainly (and should) play better - no one can be entirely happy with that game other than the win. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Scoring the only goal in a tight game = excellent. That's not difficult to grasp. 

It is for me... 

He was OK, the ball over the top to him tactic isn't playing to his strengths so unfair to judge him on, it was a 6 or 7 out of 10 performance from him

Was just OK + a goal

Didn't think Foden or Mount were rated higher either none of them really put a stamp on the game and said they have to start vs Scotland 

That's the great thing about this squad there ls so many attacking options, we're not reliant on anyone, wouldn't be surprised to see sancho start vs Scotland in place of foden 

Jack will be the last one to get minutes 

Mings superb, did everything right and 100% switched on. If he can take that mindset into next season I’ll be over the moon. 

Phillips MOTM, he’s now a £50m player all day. 

Sterling did the job with his chance but think we’d have been far superior over the course of the game with Jack there. 

Amazing that Southgate took four right backs and it was our weakest position! I’d be looking at Trippier there next game with an actual LB at LB. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I agree.  I’ve said that’s great, I’m looking at the next game now.  We can’t afford to have that many chances next time or in latter stages and expect a win.  Against a poor/subdued Croatia we didn’t get Foden and Mount involved and Kane was non-existent.  Against bigger teams it will be harder so we need to figure how to get them in the game.

Delighted you are focusing on one game! Yes great win! Woohooo! Happy now?

So is it about winning or performance? 

I re-read your posts about 10 times and I’m still not sure what you are saying.

You said you cannot make mistakes (ie losing) but say that we need to find balance in the team during the group stages. If you do the latter you risk the former.

I’m not saying we should be happy clapping that performance, but maybe, just maybe we can find solace in the fact we **** Won? 

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I saw a lot of poor performances today.

Phillips and Mings were the standouts but Kane and Mount fell way short of expectations.

Playing a right back on the left hindered our attack as Trippier always stopped to switch onto his right foot and although he scored the vital goal, Sterling was wasteful in the attack, giving the ball away constantly and failing to beat his man.

Walker also had a shocker.

So there is plenty to review and improve upon.

It’s not a bad thing to identify areas to tweak and alter and that was far from a fluid and cohesive performance. 

England can certainly (and should) play better - no one can be entirely happy with that game other than the win. 

All those defenders you're pointing out, kept a clean sheet - Kane lacked anyone creating for him, hopefully we see Jack come in - for a tournament opener against that opposition England played very well - bodes really well IMHO. 

11 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

In the last 2 years Mings played a Villa /blues derby, playoff final and carabao cup final. What an amateur 🙄

• Like 1

Just now, LondonLax said:

I believe this is the first time England have won their opening game at the Euros. That Southgate’s a bit of a genius eh?

We have never seen a group stage in this comp where we're not going into the second game shitting it. Massive confidence after today. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jareth said:

All those defenders you're pointing out, kept a clean sheet - Kane lacked anyone creating for him, hopefully we see Jack come in - for a tournament opener against that opposition England played very well - bodes really well IMHO. 

Only if we learn from the inadequacies of today’s game.

Croatia offered nothing, other than Peresic testing an out of sorts Walker. 

You say Kane lacked anyone creating anything for him - clearly that needs looking at and cannot be ignored. That alone shows the frailties in Southgate’s tactics and selections. 

Despite the win, we did not play ‘very well’ but got the important win.

if we play the same way against Scotland I’ll be disappointed. 

It’s pretty clear to me that we need to find ways of optimising the time we have the ball in the areas where our strengths lie.

We need better ball retention in the final third and someone who can bring in our quality wide players.

Kane was dropping deep to try and help, but he’s no false 9. 

Mount for all his strengths was not helping in this regard. We were hitting him long and he was not winning any 50-50’s. 

Jack would have really helped there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Only if we learn from the inadequacies of today’s game.

Croatia offered nothing, other than Peresic testing an out of sorts Walker. 

You say Kane lacked anyone creating anything for him - clearly that needs looking at and cannot be ignored. That alone shows the frailties in Southgate’s tactics and selections. 

Despite the win, we did not play ‘very well’ but got the important win.

if we play the same way against Scotland I’ll be disappointed. 

We'll learn a lot for sure from GS's selection against Scotland - I am hoping he uses the squad properly. I think he might though, he's won today's battle about Trippier and Sterling after all. 

Just now, Jareth said:

We'll learn a lot for sure from GS's selection against Scotland - I am hoping he uses the squad properly. I think he might though, he's won today's battle about Trippier and Sterling after all. 

Has he though? The left side offered very little in attack and Sterling scored when he moved centrally. 

(are you Jermaine Jenas btw 😉

Â