Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

Neville on today's game....

“I thought Southgate managed that game unbelievably today… our biggest asset is our manager.” 

They really have been told to be positive regardless. I hated the way Graham Taylor was treated but we have to take them to task,  we need to approach games more aggressively, more offensively, we have the talent. It's like getting villalad to conduct the London Philharmonic, they will make a noise but it will sound awful.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

There was one possible moment but Perisic ran into the brick wall I mean Tyrone Mings.

I thought their best chance was the ball dropping between pickford and walker and perisic not gambling on it, he just kind of looked at it and then realised he'd **** up afterwards 

If he dangled a leg he might have poked it past pickford 

But when that's your best chance you know you've been shit 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Neville on today's game....

“I thought Southgate managed that game unbelievably today… our biggest asset is our manager.” 

They really have been told to be positive regardless. I hated the way Graham Taylor was treated but we have to take them to task,  we need to approach games more aggressively, more offensively, we have the talent. It's like getting villalad to conduct the London Philharmonic, they will make a noise but it will sound awful.

I though our main tactic was seemingly balls over the top to sterling

That's not a tactic that will win us anything 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I though our main tactic was seemingly balls over the top to sterling

That's not a tactic that will win us anything 

You mean passing it around 40 times in your own half and the  hoofing it down the channel ain't a good tactic?

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

You mean passing it around 40 times in your own half and the  hoofing it down the channel ain't a good tactic?

It kept Burnley up so surely it's good enough?

Just now, rodders0223 said:

It is but not when sterling is your winger 😉

He's not winning any kind of aerial battle is he, there were plenty of times when he did actually get in over the top but then even he wanted to slow it down come on to his right and try and play football 

We don't have a single chalk on the boots winger who will just run and cross all day 

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I thought their best chance was the ball dropping between pickford and walker and perisic not gambling on it, he just kind of looked at it and then realised he'd **** up afterwards 

If he dangled a leg he might have poked it past pickford 

But when that's your best chance you know you've been shit 

Surprising as Rebic-Kramaric-Perisic isn't a bad front 3 at all, plenty of mobility and players who can finish off a chance.

Possible England may play a team in knock outs with much weaker forward line than that e.g. Sweden so very good for team confidence to get a clean sheet from that and not be tested too often.

• Like 1

I don't think England were terrible, and there's a lot to be said for just grinding out a win to start off the tournament. But I find the reaction to the performance in the media perplexing, with pundits saying we looked very very good, it was an impressive performance, etc. Certainly it's a great result but the performance itself didn't at all get me excited for future games.

Looking at the draw -- fair enough saying we'll improve and Grealish will work his way into things as the tournament goes on, but if we win our group we could go from playing Scotland and Czech Republic to France. We need to start stepping up our performances and find our best group of players soon or we might find it's suddenly too late for that. Still time for it but need to see a lot more against Scotland.

• Like 1

We beat a poor Croatia team. The real acid test will come when we play a good team.

On the plus side it's 3 points, we kept a clean sheet thanks to Mings who was excellent, and we have something to build on.

I'm sure Grealish will get a chance to shine at some point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The only chance Jack will get is getting off the bench when we  are about 2 nil down and expecting him to magic up a reaction.

Jack is not really a impact player. Either he is the main man in the side or he will hardly play. I think we know the answer to this.

Maybe that's why Southgate didn't bring Jack on today. The man's a genious!

Harry Kane as predicted egotistical shocking performance has raised no worries. It was the most obvious and shittest part of Englands day 

Alex Ferguson for example would bench him for that 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

If only there was a striker available for selection that could run non-stop and put Croatia’s defence under pressure constantly.

I just can’t think of one.

Watched the game with a nose mate who said he couldn't believe Watkins didn't get in the squad as he runs defenses raggid. Also said Jack should be starting games as well or at least getting half hour as he carries the ball and takes defenders out by drawing them on this creating space for others.

I would not be surprised if Jack didn't get a start. In fact I'm not even sure he will make a subs appearance. Southgate just doesn't rate him. Not saying I'm bothered, I want to see a fresh Jack for the start of next season, but the subs today were baffling. The game was calling out for Jack to create a second and Southgate didn't even consider it even though Mount was completely ineffective. I cannot see how this England team can win this with this manager.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Harry Kane as predicted egotistical shocking performance has raised no worries. It was the most obvious and shittest part of Englands day 

Alex Ferguson for example would bench him for that 

This all day, world class striker dropping in and trying to get ball off Phillips. Stay up front, run the line and wait for your chance.

I honestly barely celebrated the goal. We aren't doing anything different, playing players like Sterling who struggle desperately in possession. Then you have Jack who doesn't get a single minute, with even the terrible Rashford coming on.

First time in my life I'm struggling to get behind an England side, and it's because I have a dislike for Southgate. I don't like his indirect and hesitant answers to questions, and I don't like his selections. If he persists with this yeah we might get through the group, but we will be brushed aside by any top side.

6 hours ago, Wurzel said:

I would not be surprised if Jack didn't get a start. In fact I'm not even sure he will make a subs appearance. Southgate just doesn't rate him. Not saying I'm bothered, I want to see a fresh Jack for the start of next season, but the subs today were baffling. The game was calling out for Jack to create a second and Southgate didn't even consider it even though Mount was completely ineffective. I cannot see how this England team can win this with this manager.

He probably won’t make the bench next match and will be one of the 3 sitting out

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Well done England, done the job. Please stop trying to steal Don't Take me Home from us though!

It’s not our song originally is it?

Also the song makes absolutely no sense when you’re playing at home anyway.

Â