Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

37 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Is there any national side that would not even have space for Sancho on the bench?

England's depth in those positions is ridiculous...

Which makes it all the more frustrating that we don't make the most of this fantastic squad

Thought we did fairly well yesterday, even though we didn't create bags of clear cut chances we were still deserved winners. I can't recall Pickford being tested? Mings and Stones were fantastically solid and didn't put a foot wrong.

Phillips was fantastic and MOTM. The two disappointments were Walker (nervy and abysmal in first half and couldn't even complete a five-yard pass but did a lot better in the second and surprisingly was good defensively) and Kane who I'm convinced is carrying an injury or not fit.

I think there's a place in that team for Jack though, I hope he starts against the Jocks on Friday.

Also, why the hell does Southgate always insist on doing something weird with his team selections and playing players out of position?! It's not Trippier's fault (I think he did very well actually considering he's a natural right-footer) but when you've got two quality LB's in Chilwell and Shaw in the squad to play a right-back there is very strange indeed. There were a few times a left-footed player would have whipped a dangerous, first-time cross across the box with their left whereas Trippier obviously had to keep turning back onto his right foot. I'd probably move Trippier to RB and bring Chilwell or Shaw in at LB.

Edited by wedge
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Genie said:

Look at this pair of fine examples

62-A02138-096-C-47-B5-88-B7-C613-E1-E02-

The photographer taking a cheeky photo of the girls arse is quite funny though 

Not sure why you're bashing fans for celebrating a goal? When Villa score do you just politely clap whilst still seated or something?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, wedge said:

Not sure why you're bashing fans for celebrating a goal? When Villa score do you just politely clap whilst still seated or something?!

True, because a notch up from clapping in your seat is rolling around on the closed section of seating like a pair of fat pricks so pissed you can’t stand.

Yesterday was a great advert for many English football fans doing what they do best. 

There was also a report yesterday of an English fan falling from one of the stands onto concrete and had to be rushed to hospital.

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

True, because a notch up from clapping in your seat is rolling around on the closed section of seating like a pair of fat pricks so pissed you can’t stand.

Yesterday was a great advert for many English football fans doing what they do best. 

There was also a report yesterday of an English fan falling from one of the stands onto concrete and had to be rushed to hospital.

I've seen a few of your comments which are incredibly generalising and sneering. There's absolutely no doubt there are some England fans that behave disgracefully but the same can be said of every single nation/domestic club side in the world. You're tarring an entire nation's fanbase with the same brush, were you at Wembley yesterday then or just judging people that you've seen on TV (a couple out of 22,500)? Would you do that with any other nation's fanbase/population?

Have you ever been to a Villa away game when we've scored a late winner or something? I've ended up 2-3 rows in front of where my allocated seat was, does that make me a 'fat p*** so pissed I can't stand?' I'd rather see everyone going mental after a goal is scored than a reaction similar to if Andy Murray has just won a point at Wimbledon to be honest but maybe that's just me!

Do you know the reason why the fan fell from the stands or are you just guessing and trying to align it to your previous comments? Would seem a bit silly to do that, it's highly possible someone had an adverse reaction to the heat or something etc? I genuinely haven't read into it so have no idea hence why I'm asking.

Edited by wedge
  • Like 3

It wasn't a couple out of 22,500

There was a large portion of the crowd yesterday that was noticeably bladdered after a day out on the piss in the sunshine 

If I was there I would no doubt be the same, i was the same in 2016, where the French properly mugged us off and didn't want us there, treated us like utter words removed and we in turn just behaved like utter words removed 

But the booing draws more attention to the crowd and the stereotypes of English football fans, a lot of the footage of the crowd lived up to the stereotype for better or worse 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It wasn't a couple out of 22,500

There was a large portion of the crowd yesterday that was noticeably bladdered after a day out on the piss in the sunshine 

If I was there I would no doubt be the same, i was the same in 2016, where the French properly mugged us off and didn't want us there, treated us like utter words removed and we in turn just behaved like utter words removed 

But the booing draws more attention to the crowd and the stereotypes of English football fans, a lot of the footage of the crowd lived up to the stereotype for better or worse 

If you weren't actually at the stadium yesterday I can't see how you can factually determine that 'a large portion' were 'noticeably bladdered', you're just going on a very small percentage that you've seen and cast aspersions on based on watching on TV. Again, you may be absolutely right but unless you were physically inside the stadium your comments are an assumption.

Again, you're generalising - there will have been many that did behave like utter words removed but also many that didn't and unfortunately it's those that don't that get bracketed and labelled with the ones that do and I think the tone of some of the posts on this topic in this group do very little to help that.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying you or Genie are incorrect so don't take it the wrong way, I'm just playing devil's advocate really and suggesting you may not (on this occasion) be totally factually correct and may be making assumptions based on your previous personal experiences which is understandable.

Edited by wedge

Just now, wedge said:

If you weren't actually at the stadium yesterday I can't see how you can factually determine that 'a large portion' were 'noticeably bladdered', you're just going on a very small percentage that you've seen and cast aspersions on based on watching on TV. Again, you may be absolutely right but unless you were physically inside the stadium your comments are an assumption,

Again, you're generalising - there will have been many that did behave like utter words removed but also many that didn't and unfortunately it's those that don't that get bracketed and labelled with the ones that do and I think the tone of some of the posts on this topic in this group don't help that.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying you or Genie are incorrect so don't take it the wrong way, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate really and suggesting you may not (on this occasion) be totally factually correct and may be making assumptions based on your previous personal experiences which is understandable.

I would add that the TV crew played to the narrative, like how they pick out the pretty women when the South American teams in the world cup, or pick out the nutters caked in orange when Holland play, Friday night I had a chuckle at the Italians happily smoking in the stadium 

The cameraman was on the agenda of find me the piss head who will have sunburn tomorrow 

And that from living abroad is exactly what they think of us, not always negative, sometimes funny 

• Like 1

Gareth Southgate, sure came out with a selection only he could have done.....The popular opinion was quite different.

but to be fair to him, he got his win and the confidence boosting, clean sheet.....His decision was vindicated by Sterling scoring, and Jacks reaction was "gold dust" for his PR team.....He is the pin up boy of English Football and his off the field behaviour is doing him no harm at all....His name is mentioned in just about every promotion or advertising shot and pundits can't wait to mention his name....his time will come in this tournament and it might be just when we need him.

I was disappointed for Jack, but it might turn out to be a blessing in disguise, saving him for the big games....Ty was immense and surely silenced the doubters, that was a top drawer performance.

We have to give Gareth the benefit of the doubt and in some ways might turn out well for us Villa Fans ( why burn him out) and England fans who keep their powder dry, and use him sparingly.

Its difficult to criticise team selection after a win and clean sheet.....but Jack will get his moments of that I am sure.

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

I would add that the TV crew played to the narrative, like how they pick out the pretty women when the South American teams in the world cup, or pick out the nutters caked in orange when Holland play, Friday night I had a chuckle at the Italians happily smoking in the stadium 

The cameraman was on the agenda of find me the piss head who will have sunburn tomorrow 

And that from living abroad is exactly what they think of us, not always negative, sometimes funny 

Now that I absolutely do agree with.

Judging by watching on the TV yesterday, there weren't any Croatia fans at Wembley over the age of 35 and male!!

44 minutes ago, wedge said:

I've seen a few of your comments which are incredibly generalising and sneering. There's absolutely no doubt there are some England fans that behave disgracefully but the same can be said of every single nation/domestic club side in the world. You're tarring an entire nation's fanbase with the same brush, were you at Wembley yesterday then or just judging people that you've seen on TV (a couple out of 22,500)? Would you do that with any other nation's fanbase/population?

Have you ever been to a Villa away game when we've scored a late winner or something? I've ended up 2-3 rows in front of where my allocated seat was, does that make me a 'fat p*** so pissed I can't stand?' I'd rather see everyone going mental after a goal is scored than a reaction similar to if Andy Murray has just won a point at Wimbledon to be honest but maybe that's just me!

Do you know the reason why the fan fell from the stands or are you just guessing and trying to align it to your previous comments? Would seem a bit silly to do that, it's highly possible someone had an adverse reaction to the heat or something etc? I genuinely haven't read into it so have no idea hence why I'm asking.

Did you not hear the hundreds or thousands booing the Croatian national anthem? How many other teams have you seen subject to that?

Did you not hear the hundreds or thousands booing the anti-racism ? How many other teams have you seen subject to that?

Did you not hear the hundreds or thousands booing the Croatian team having possession? How many other teams have you seen subject to that?

Did you see many other nations fans rolling around like the image above after a goal?

Have you heard about any other fans falling off stands?

Its not all the fans and I never said it was all of the fans. It’s also not a small pocket of bad ‘ens that’s all clubs have either.

2pm kick off. I do wonder how the Scots have navigated around that one - "Aye, I'll be working from hame today, and probably tomorrow".

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

Did you not hear the hundreds or thousands booing the Croatian team having possession? How many other teams have you seen subject to that?

Come on man, that happens in so many games. It lasted for about ten minutes 

• Haha 1

I love it when VP does that to away teams. Can remember a game years back v Chelsea when think a couple of poor ref decisions went against us and we just booed Chelsea on the ball non stop for five minutes.

We won that day.

I agree with the other stuff but that seems a bizarre thing to call fans out for. When Wales play Turkey on Wednesday their 30k fans will be whistling like mad everytime they get on the ball.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

Did you not hear the hundreds or thousands booing the Croatian national anthem? How many other teams have you seen subject to that?

Did you not hear the hundreds or thousands booing the anti-racism ? How many other teams have you seen subject to that?

Did you see many other nations fans rolling around like the image above after a goal?

Have you heard about any other fans falling off stands?

Its not all the fans and I never said it was all of the fans. It’s also not a small pocket of bad ‘ens that’s all clubs have either.

Turkey fans literally booed the Italian team constantly when they were on the ball on Friday mate come on! This isn't tiddlywinks.

I disagree with booing of the knee personally.

You think that booing of the anthem was bad, wait until GSTQ is playing on Friday and the Jocks boo it as they do to deafening levels every time. 🤣

5 minutes ago, Giro said:

Come on man, that happens in so many games. It lasted for about ten minutes 

How often do you get all the things on the same day at the same game? I agree, booing the oppositions early possession in isolation isn’t such a big deal. Combine it with all all the other behaviour and it’s clear why our reputation is so poor. 

This is the problem, English football fan culture.

You get a ticket, get hammered, behave like a word removed throughout, maybe a scrap if someone is up for it. It’s just what following England is about it seems. No big deal.

Edited by Genie

Â