Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Surely a win is a positive?!?

First ever opening game win against World Cup finalists and a clean sheet. 

The hypocrisy in this thread is hilarious, if this was a Villa performance against good opposition, the reaction would be completely different. 

• Like 2

Probably been said, but Kane dropping so deep is driving me mad. The game was crying out for someone to play on the shoulder and hate to say it, but Watkins would have loved playing in that first half today. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

It could've easily gone against us, we created virtually nothing.  This could so easily been 0-0 but thankfully we nicked the win.  So yes it worked but I would argue inspite of the selection and tactics somewhat and Southgate was a little bit lucky.  Those amounts of chances could've easily resulted in no goals scored.  Great to get the result but Southgate need to improve their thought process if we are to progress against bigger teams in the knockout stages.

If this had been a Villa game, a lot on here would've been happy with the win but criticised the performance and Smith...seems very different with England which blows my mind a bit

If this was a Villa game, there would be just the same level of vitriol. Just the same. 

While I get the criticism of the performance, no one can enjoy a win anymore, for club or country.

Honestly i’m sick to death of negativity, regardless of how justifiable (or otherwise) it may be.

3 minutes ago, jim said:

First ever opening game win against World Cup finalists and a clean sheet. 

The hypocrisy in this thread is hilarious, if this was a Villa performance against good opposition, the reaction would be completely different. 

I agree with what your saying, but Villa is a mid table PL team. England has THE best footballers on the planet.

So I guess expectations differ.

• Like 2

Great start to the Euros! We should go from strength through strength. I hope to see some flexibility from Southgate moving forwards I’m just not sure we will see it. Phillips and Mings the two best players. Not just with my Villa specs on - apart from the goal I’m not sure Sterling did anything. Foden hit the post but was otherwise anonymous. Mount was anonymous as well. I hope we see Grealish as he would take the game by the scruff of the neck. 

As long as we improve and learn with every performance I can forgive the disjointed showing today 

on paper, Croatia was the toughest on the group games and we’ve got the win and kept a clean sheet.

However that performance would not get us through the knockout phases against a half decent team.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

At least let’s wait and see. 

With respect, only on villatalk can a win generate so much hate.

I’m not pretending we played well, but at least we’re going into the next game in control of the group, and not absolutely having to win.

£5 to VillaTalk if he changes the system for the next game. There is absolutely no way the team he picked today was based on the opposition. I think saying that is giving Southgate way too much credit.

Of course it's good to win and I've not seen any "hate" on here. Just some people who can see that if we play remotely like that against a top team then we'll be in trouble.

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

If this was a Villa game, there would be just the same level of vitriol. Just the same. 

While I get the criticism of the performance, no one can enjoy a win anymore, for club or country.

Honestly i’m sick to death of negativity, regardless of how justifiable (or otherwise) it may be.

but one mistake and you are out of the tournament, it's literally that a fine line in International competition.  Nobody remembers/cares about the group games or early knockout out phases, that's about finding the balance in the team.  If we dont sort out issues now we wont progress far.  This type of performance against bigger teams wouldve seen us out IMO.

In terms of the Villa, it's different because you play over a season and there are many other/different factors in my mind

In terms of England, this is a short window of one of the best generations of footballers we've had for a very long time.  You have to win, be very critical of issues of performance, improve and fix for 5 days later for the next game.  There is no time to be sentimental...

• Like 1

Just now, theboyangel said:

As long as we improve and learn with every performance I can forgive the disjointed showing today 

on paper, Croatia was the toughest on the group games and we’ve got the win and kept a clean sheet.

However that performance would not get us through the knockout phases against a half decent team.

I didn't see any particular weakness or inexperience anywhere in the team, no dodgy players at all. For the first game, against that opposition, and a bloke from Leeds only just promoted getting MOTM - this is a huge huge start to a tournament. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Also to be fair, I'm one of the most positive Villa fans and defend Villa on here more than most.

In terms of England we are arguably one of the top few most talented squads in this championship so expectation is so much higher.

A win is a win, and I was impressed with Phillips, Mings, and Mount. Sterling, goal aside, simply doesn't offer as much as Jack on current form.

That being said, England opening games are usually nervy affairs and hopefully we'll improve in the next game. I saw nothing that changes my mind that we'll lose against the first decent team we meet.

Just now, nick76 said:

but one mistake and you are out of the tournament, it's literally that a fine line in International competition.  Nobody remembers/cares about the group games or early knockout out phases, that's about finding the balance in the team.  If we dont sort out issues now we wont progress far.  This type of performance against bigger teams wouldve seen us out IMO.

In terms of the Villa, it's different because you play over a season and there are many other/different factors in my mind

In terms of England, this is a short window of one of the best generations of footballers we've had for a very long time.  You have to win, be very critical of issues of performance, improve and fix for 5 days later for the next game.  There is no time to be sentimental...

So what you are saying is one mistake and you are out. As in results are key. 

I agree.

We won.

Â