Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

Just now, Okonokos said:

Why?

Played solid. Never in danger. Good interceptions and defensive play.

Also didn't think Croatia was shit. Not as good as 3 years ago, but hardly shit.

• Like 1

Just now, Okonokos said:

Why?

I thought the team picked was designed to dominate midfield which really is Croatia's strength and we completely snuffed them out, with Phillips in particular excellent.  It wasn't really the game to go all out attack, just solidly starting the tournament getting 3 points in the hardest group game.

• Like 1

Just now, osmark86 said:

Played solid. Never in danger. Good interceptions and defensive play.

Also didn't think Croatia was shit. Not as good as 3 years ago, but hardly shit.

We were never in danger because Croatia never created anything. We let them dictate the pace of the game for large parts but fortunately they didn't have any creativity in the final third. We can't let a better team dictate the pace the same way as 100% we'll be punished.

We also were poor in the final third. Never really looked like scoring.

• Like 4

I couldn't disagree more with the notion that a win automatically justifies the manager's decisions. I think it's an insane position to take. If we set up and play like that against any remotely capable team, we'll lose. So much attacking talent in the team and we couldn't get anything going at all.

• Like 1

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

I thought the team picked was designed to dominate midfield which really is Croatia's strength and we completely snuffed them out, with Phillips in particular excellent.  It wasn't really the game to go all out attack, just solidly starting the tournament getting 3 points in the hardest group game.

This basically. Completely shut Modric out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Okonokos said:

We were never in danger because Croatia never created anything. We let them dictate the pace of the game for large parts but fortunately they didn't have any creativity in the final third. We can't let a better team dictate the pace the same way as 100% we'll be punished.

We also were poor in the final third. Never really looked like scoring.

Honestly don't think it'll work in the playoffs myself, but it worked great today. Give England's defense and midfield a little credit. Phillips and Mings were excellent.

3 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I couldn't disagree more with the notion that a win automatically justifies the manager's decisions. I think it's an insane position to take. If we set up and play like that against any remotely capable team, we'll lose. So much attacking talent in the team and we couldn't get anything going at all.

Exactly my sentiments. It's baffling how people think a win justifies a mangers tactics/selection. Imagine if we played like that against say France.

• Like 1

Surprised how Lineker and co  are drooling over this. 

We did the job, well done but I didnt think the performance was great at all. 

Croatia were poor for them and maybe we subdued them, it's hard to judge but the game overall lacked quality. 

Sterling's goal was really good but I thought Sterling had a very patchy game at best. 

Kane wasnt in the game. 

We didnt get the ball enough to Mount or Foden. 

I thought Phillips had a great game. 

Defence were solid without really being tested. 

Best I could say is that it was a professional performance without being impressive. 

Whatever Lineker and co are talking about was a different game to the game I watched.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Â