Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

12 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think it has more to do with ppl overreacting to him losing the ball and being outmuscled on a couple of occations early in the season. He had a full PL season before and performed really well. Never any doubt that he would this time as well. 

This is spot on. He didn't appear out if thin air when we signed him. He was already confirmed to be an excellent player. Anyone making their judgements on his ability from one or two unsuccessful passes or an unlucky dribble attempt were obviously going to be wrong.

Edited by YouUnastanFren
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, WHY said:

I’m starting to warm to him more as a person. He looks happier and isn’t throwing his hands around as much as he was. I’m guessing this goes hand in hand with playing better. He’s improved since Gerrard came in. It’s like Deano didn’t know what to do with him. Now he looks like he has a purpose in the team and is getting clear instructions on what to do. 

I think that’s unfair on Deano.  It’s not like deano was telling him to get dispossessed.

It takes time for most players to settle and find their rhythm.  It takes time to reach the appropriate fitness levels.  It takes time to develop an understanding with new team mates.  You can’t pin that on Deano.

• Like 1

If he keeps this up, he’ll be our POTS. He’s getting fitter, sharper and his all round attitude is infectious. It’s one thing having skill, it’s another having that desire and drive to put your body on the line and run around non stop! 

What a player. 

• Like 1

As I thought, previously posted stats comparing EB with JG were out of date

Most recent stats including yesterday:

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/player_comparison.cgi?request=1&sum=0&comp_type=by_type&dom_lg=1&spec_comps=big_5&player_id1=66b76d44&p1yrfrom=2021-2022&player_id2=b0b4fd3e&p2yrfrom=2021-2022

Consider the fact that EB isn’t in a team who play with cheat mode on.. and have 80% possession in most games…. 

2 minutes ago, Thug said:

As I thought, previously posted stats comparing EB with JG were out of date

Most recent stats including yesterday:

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/player_comparison.cgi?request=1&sum=0&comp_type=by_type&dom_lg=1&spec_comps=big_5&player_id1=66b76d44&p1yrfrom=2021-2022&player_id2=b0b4fd3e&p2yrfrom=2021-2022

Consider the fact that EB isn’t in a team who play with cheat mode on.. and have 80% possession in most games…. 

A better comparison would be Buendia at Villa VS Jack at Villa

27 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

A better comparison would be Buendia at Villa VS Jack at Villa

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/player_comparison.cgi?request=1&sum=0&comp_type=by_type&dom_lg=1&spec_comps=big_5&player_id1=66b76d44&p1yrfrom=2021-2022&player_id2=b0b4fd3e&p2yrfrom=2020-2021

Long way to go for him to be anywhere near Jack’s level if you’re  comparing to Jack of last year.  He’s 7 assists and 3 goals off Jacks tally of last year.  Not inconceivable with almost half a season to play, but there’s still a lot of catch up left in other stats in progressive passing and ball carrying.  Jack of last year was phenomenal, possibly the best player in the league.

(But the original question was how the two were comparing THIS year)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thug said:

I think that’s unfair on Deano.  It’s not like deano was telling him to get dispossessed.

It takes time for most players to settle and find their rhythm.  It takes time to reach the appropriate fitness levels.  It takes time to develop an understanding with new team mates.  You can’t pin that on Deano.

I’m not having a dig at Deano, just my observation. I do think Gerrard has had a positive impact on him and the rest of the team for that matter. 

15 minutes ago, Thug said:

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/player_comparison.cgi?request=1&sum=0&comp_type=by_type&dom_lg=1&spec_comps=big_5&player_id1=66b76d44&p1yrfrom=2021-2022&player_id2=b0b4fd3e&p2yrfrom=2020-2021

Long way to go for him to be anywhere near Jack’s level if you’re  comparing to Jack of last year.  He’s 7 assists and 3 goals off Jacks tally of last year.  Not inconceivable with almost half a season to play, but there’s still a lot of catch up left in other stats in progressive passing and ball carrying.  Jack of last year was phenomenal, possibly the best player in the league.

(But the original question was how the two were comparing THIS year)

You can make a solid argument that Jack Grealish between August 2020 and December 2020 was the best half-season from any winger in Premier League history. 

Hardly a fair fight. 

• Like 2

Buendia is doing really well and his statistics and those of Greal-hiss aren't too far apart, they both have two goals and Buendia has one more assist...

OK Buendia has played a couple of matches more but statistics of note:

Through Balls

Buendia 12     Greal-hiss 1

Tackles 

Buendia 24     Greal-hiss 12

Big Chances Created

Buendia 4       Greal-hiss 2

As Buendia likes to challenge and is quite successful at it one might argue currently, this season he is the better all-round player.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Buendia was everywhere against Everton, amazing.

He's going to get most VT MOTM game votes this season. No doubt in my mind. I'm so happy he's found his rhythm and looks like he's loving it here

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Not sure why we are comparing Buendia to Grealish.

Buendia was bought as Barkley's replacement - talk about an upgrade!

This is a good point. Although, while it may have been the case originally, Grealish leaving meant Buendia was the one player around who had the qualities to plug that gap. We put way too much pressure on him to begin with that we never should've put on him at all.

I'm glad to see he's thriving now. Long may it continue.

Â