VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

1 hour ago, Xann said:

:D You've saved it.

The 'Thriller' album is a Quincy Jones production, an actual music god.

Thriller was a great album but Bad was the one from my childhood. Just listening to it now on Spotify. I know all the songs word for word still!

Apart from 'Leave Me Alone' as that was never included on the cassette release I had. 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Bringing the thread down a notch or two no doubt, but as pop songs go, Beat It, by Michael Jackson is near perfect. Especially when the guitar solo kicks in. 

This is my **** sweet spot. Since you been gone by Kelly Clarkson rinses this.

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

What have you got against vocals? 

I'm not particularly into instrumentals in the pop/rock field, but completely opposite with jazz and classical, where I don't want to hear any singing. 

I hope there are exceptions, like this gem.  Although it would be very good as an instrumental, you can't tell me the vocals don't improve it.

• Like 1

Early 80’s I used to go over my mate’s house to sit their all broody and intense and listen to Jam albums.

His sister would insist we had to share turntable time with her and through the course of an afternoon she’d play everything off Thriller.

I absolutely fancied the pants off her, and she knew it.

That bloody Jackson album had decent tunes on it, and I had to sit there pretending it didn’t AND not staring at her. Multi tasking.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

Off The Wall takes the number one MJ album spot for me. Rock With You is a perfect pop song. 

Indeed, whilst playing with naked children.

15 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

Off The Wall takes the number one MJ album spot for me. Rock With You is a perfect pop song. 

That following Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough is a cracking start to the album. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, il_serpente said:

I hope there are exceptions, like this gem.  Although it would be very good as an instrumental, you can't tell me the vocals don't improve it.

Yes, granted. But I tend to count the Billie Holliday/Sarah Vaughan/Ella Fitzgerald (or Frank Sinatra/Mel Torme) stuff more as 1940s pop than true 'jazz'. It's OK. But I don't want to hear vocals with bebob/hard bop/post bop/fusion. 

• Like 2

Grew up listening to him, my parents were divorced and my dad would make 6-8 year old me jacko mixtapes so will always have a soft spot for him but struggle to listen to him now 

Think I might even prefer the Jackson 5

Cant deny what he was though, both good and bad 

Bad is his best album, no filler on there

This is top American session player Louis Shelton; he played on the 'Off the Wall' LP plus many other iconic guitar parts. For guitarists on here he also played the solo on Lionel Richie's 'Hello'. Quite a tasty played I hope you agree.

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yes, granted. But I tend to count the Billie Holliday/Sarah Vaughan/Ella Fitzgerald (or Frank Sinatra/Mel Torme) stuff more as 1940s pop than true 'jazz'. It's OK. But I don't want to hear vocals with bebob/hard bop/post bop/fusion. 

When I was a kid Cleo Laine was still on the scene, and would be on the TV once in a while.

The music would start up, Cleo would start up, ‘she bab de bap dee bop dee doo bee dooo yaaaaaaa shiggle iggle piggle….’

all over the top of some Alexis Korner or whoever

• Like 1

On 18/11/2021 at 21:44, bickster said:

I'm awaiting a Discogs backlash from the My Bloody Valentine devoted

I've just uploaded a photo of six art prints that were included in my copy of Loveless, I can find absolutely no mention of them anywhere online.

Six photo prints essentially of the album images plus 2 more similar so they clearly belong with the album

I can't decide whether I'm a bit like Chocolate Factory Charlie finding the golden ticket or I'm completely missing something obvious

It'll lead to gnashing and wailing and I'm not sure whether the photo should have been uploaded but at least I might get an answer to my question

Here they are anyway

IMG_1300.jpeg

As predicted, there is much wailing going on

• Haha 1

On 19/11/2021 at 23:05, mjmooney said:

What have you got against vocals? 

I'm not particularly into instrumentals in the pop/rock field, but completely opposite with jazz and classical, where I don't want to hear any singing. 

I have nothing against vocals,its just that instrumental is my favourite.I get the impression that you like guitar music,if that is the case,check this out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I have nothing against vocals,its just that instrumental is my favourite.I get the impression that you like guitar music,if that is the case,check this out.

The inspiration for Fleetwood Mac's 'Albatross'. It's OK, but I still prefer guitars as an accompaniment to singers.

Â