VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Just now, Seat68 said:

Genuine question. My turntable is a pile of dung, and I am considering replacing it but unsure where to start. The budget isn't big at all so any guidance would be welcome. 

Is £300 big or not big?

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The upper end but if setting cheaper did just as good a job. Mine is poor and time to change it. 

You can pick up decent old decks on Gumtree. There's a Pioneer PL12D (mkII) near me in Formby for £150 as an example (I think thats a tad over priced tbh)

New there's the Project Primary E at about £180, The Rega Plannar 1 at £275 both of those are decent and good value

• Thanks 1

I used to be considered a bit of a music snob or that my tastes were a little bit niche by a few former colleagues. “Mark only likes NME bands…” would be the cry (that also dates it somewhat).

This was on the back of me being partial to the first few Editors albums. Very obscure.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Genuine question. My turntable is a pile of dung, and I am considering replacing it but unsure where to start. The budget isn't big at all so any guidance would be welcome. 

Gumtree for a punt. Richer Sounds for something new around £200.

Or a really good second hand shop I know that does national postage if your interested, they’ve always got stuff and you can phone them up and discuss budget.

You don’t have to spend fortunes.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Gumtree for a punt. Richer Sounds for something new around £200.

Or a really good second hand shop I know that does national postage if your interested, they’ve always got stuff and you can phone them up and discuss budget.

You don’t have to spend fortunes.

If you could PM me their details that would be great. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure if any of that kind of stuff gets the black Friday treatment, should be sales in most places come the end of the month though 

Nah, even January sales are absolutely minimal. It’s not one of those technology things where new models are introduced every year. In fact a lot of the budget decks have been in existence for over a decade with very minor updates.It’s still a very niche market.

They are making Technics SL1200s pretty much to a very similar design to the MK 2s even though it’s on Mk7 or 8. The big upgrade on those was from 1 to 2 which was when they made it more robust for DJs

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I used to be considered a bit of a music snob or that my tastes were a little bit niche by a few former colleagues. “Mark only likes NME bands…” would be the cry (that also dates it somewhat).

This was on the back of me being partial to the first few Editors albums. Very obscure.

The Back Room still gets a spin, every now and then.  Them's good listening, baby!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Specifically request elliptical cartidges; it's the only way to keep your Hüsker Dü records in near-mint condish.

• Like 1

On 09/11/2021 at 12:57, chrisp65 said:

So, what is a music snob?

Definitely was a feature when I played but usually involved name dropping top American session players. For instance ; if the bass player didn't know who Victor Wooten or Stanley Clarke were , they tended to be sneered at by those who did. Likewise a drummer who didn't know Jeff Porcaro (RIP) , Steve Gadd , Dave Weckl et al , received the same treatment. Not good really but went on.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, veloman said:

Definitely was a feature when I played but usually involved name dropping top American session players. For instance ; if the bass player didn't know who Victor Wooten or Stanley Clarke were , they tended to be sneered at by those who did. Likewise a drummer who didn't know Jeff Porcaro (RIP) , Steve Gadd , Dave Weckl et al , received the same treatment. Not good really but went on.

It was originally more just a tired and emotional response to the self appointed music snobbery police. Ironically, one recently described one genre of music as ‘shit’. Music is music, whatever floats your goat. 

‘Music is music’ is my fave of all time quote.

But then, in reality its not in the slightest bit important but it is ‘interesting’. I do sometimes think there’s a whole ‘type’ of person that either doesn’t have any particular interest in music, or has taste in music that for whatever reason they perceive as ‘not cool’ and their defence mechanism is to brand others as problematic. But then, I like football and I’m interested in a few teams from a few countries, I’ve got a tub full of programmes, I used to write a fanzine, and I’ll go traditional bantz with fans of other teams. But I’ve never been called a football snob. Yet…

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It was originally more just a tired and emotional response to the self appointed music snobbery police. Ironically, one recently described one genre of music as ‘shit’. Music is music, whatever floats your goat. 

‘Music is music’ is my fave of all time quote.

But then, in reality its not in the slightest bit important but it is ‘interesting’. I do sometimes think there’s a whole ‘type’ of person that either doesn’t have any particular interest in music, or has taste in music that for whatever reason they perceive as ‘not cool’ and their defence mechanism is to brand others as problematic. But then, I like football and I’m interested in a few teams from a few countries, I’ve got a tub full of programmes, I used to write a fanzine, and I’ll go traditional bantz with fans of other teams. But I’ve never been called a football snob. Yet…

I used to be called a snob, if I ever talked about 7" that came in folded paper sleeves and polythene bags put out by small labels from Bristol. You favour that over stadium sell out bands, you get called a snob. You have the same reverence for out and out pop singers or million selling country artists, even though you talk about them the same, enjoy them the same, even with all that. The former makes you a snob, the latter means you have shit taste in music. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I agree. 

Except hip hop. Hip hop is shit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Something for everyone tonight across BBC4 and Sky Arts. I use the word everyone in a broad sense but the often repeated Johnny Cash behind prison walls, on Sky Arts followed by Cum on feel the noise, not as it may imply a Slade retrospective but a feature on metal. BBC has a documentary on Keith Jarrett followed by some jazz. Nice. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Something for everyone tonight across BBC4 and Sky Arts. I use the word everyone in a broad sense but the often repeated Johnny Cash behind prison walls, on Sky Arts followed by Cum on feel the noise, not as it may imply a Slade retrospective but a feature on metal. BBC has a documentary on Keith Jarrett followed by some jazz. Nice. 

Might watch the Jarrett. 

On 09/11/2021 at 17:53, Mark Albrighton said:

When my band used to rehearse in a damp basement in Ladywood the band in the room next to us was apparently Editors.

They clearly did a better job of being a band than us...

• Like 1

John Goodsall of Brand X has apparently passed away.

I know jazz rock fusion isn't a hugely popular genre, and the addition of Phil Collins in the band makes them even less palatable by many, but they really made some stunning music. The first two albums in particular are fantastic.

Â