VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

On 03/12/2021 at 11:24, chrisp65 said:

RPM

Vintage hifi and records in Bearwood, Brum.

spacer.png

could be handy as the amp I’m currently using is just beginning to splutter when I change the volume so is due a service

I see he has a Ferrograph F307 amp on the third shelf from the bottom - I've just been and dusted mine!

I still think they are a thing of beauty.

• Like 1

Billboard’s year-end album chart features no new rock records for 2021, with Queen’s 1981 Greatest Hits compilation listed as the genre's biggest-selling LP over the past 12 months.

The four-decade-old title appears at No. 23 in the Top 200. Only five other rock releases highlight the first 100: Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours (1977), Journey’s Greatest Hits (1988), AC/DC’s Back in Black (1980), Nirvana's Nevermind (1991) and Metallica’s Black Album (1991).

Last year, only Ozzy Osbourne cracked the top 200 with a new rock album — and barely, as his Ordinary Man landed at No. 199.

Ultimate Classic Rock

https://www.billboard.com/charts/year-end/2021/top-billboard-200-albums/

There was a Grohl in 2021 too.

Given how much Disney now owns, there's a pretty wide range of stuff on Disney+. Not sure how much music related content there is though.

The Beatles documentary was enough to actually get me to listen to some Beatles albums at last (my dad was of that era, but he never was into them, so they weren't in my music sphere as a kid and when I got older I just never bothered to delve into the Beatles back catalogue).

They're alright.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Given how much Disney now owns, there's a pretty wide range of stuff on Disney+. Not sure how much music related content there is though.

The Beatles documentary was enough to actually get me to listen to some Beatles albums at last (my dad was of that era, but he never was into them, so they weren't in my music sphere as a kid and when I got older I just never bothered to delve into the Beatles back catalogue).

They're alright.

Early stuff doesn’t do anything at all for me.

They get more and more interesting as they get closer to the end.

and for anyone interested….

Happy Christmas

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Usually the case if you're not of the appropriate generation. I literally grew up with them as my soundtrack - I was ten when they had their first pop hits, and the final rooftop concert was on my fifteenth birthday. Perfect synchronicity. It's a cliché, but you really did have to be there to fully 'get' it. 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Usually the case if you're not of the appropriate generation. I literally grew up with them as my soundtrack - I was ten when they had their first pop hits, and the final rooftop concert was on my fifteenth birthday. Perfect synchronicity. It's a cliché, but you really did have to be there to fully 'get' it. 

It’s a time period I’ve retrospectively been really heavily in to.

The Small Faces are right up there in my fave bands list and I can listen to early stuff, or late stuff. But then, you’d have to say there had been a world of musical evolution from about ‘62 to the start of the Small Faces in ‘65. From the get go you can really hear that mod groove in SF that was never ever there with the Beatles that always just sound like radio pop to me.

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

there had been a world of musical evolution from about ‘62 to the start of the Small Faces in ‘65. 

Absolutely correct. Although the Merseybeat bands added a new slant, 62/63 was still rooted in that Brill Building innocent pop milieu. I still enjoy a very occasional dip into that era for pure childhood flashback nostalgia. But you're dead right that - largely thanks to the relentless push of The Fab Four - 1965 was far more sophisticated, and open to a more progressive (in its widest sense) range of music. It's why I always date the start of what I consider the true golden era to 1965. But watching the montage of early clips at the start of 'Get Back' last night, I still got an atavistic adrenaline rush from the likes of "Please Please Me" and "She Loves You". It may not sound like earthquake material now, but it was then. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

and for anyone interested….

Happy Christmas

spacer.png

I've enjoyed Rubber Soul and Revolver. And obviously I know the iconic songs (I've been in a group drunkenly seeing Yesterday on the way back from the pub), but rest has been pretty shrug worthy.

Oh and that's the worst popular Christmas song. I hate it.

I've been thinking of the kind of stuff we'd have on the car on long journeys when I was a kid. Of what I can recall it was a pretty eclectic mix - Cat Stevens, Kenny Rogers, Louis Armstrong, The Move, the Righteous Brothers, the Beegees, ELO, Mungo Jerry, a lot of Motown and 60s/70s soul stuff, Status Quo a lot of 50s/60s country stuff... Not really much of the classic big name bands really.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I still got an atavistic adrenaline rush from the likes of "Please Please Me" and "She Loves You". It may not sound like earthquake material now, but it was then. 

I love loads of their songs from early years and later years. Those early pop songs still come across great and I can only imagine how powerful they were back when they first came out. That album they released a few years ago, was it 21? Loads of their hits shows you how much great songs they had . Bit lightweight overall for me, but you can’t help but singalong .

Disney plus also has summer of soul which is really really good

There's a Taylor swift folklore doc on there and a Rick Ruben interview with McCartney, at some point I'll watch hip hop uncovered 

They've put a lot of stuff on it in the last year 

I've still got to finish 1971 on Apple 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Disney plus also has summer of soul which is really really good

There's a Taylor swift folklore doc on there and a Rick Ruben interview with McCartney, at some point I'll watch hip hop uncovered 

They've put a lot of stuff on it in the last year 

I've still got to finish 1971 on Apple 

I watched Summer of Soul on a plane ride a few weeks ago.  I was obviously a little young to know about it at the time, but I'm surprised (though not really!) that I'd never heard of the concert until this film came out.  I was well aware of Woodstock within a few months of its occurrence.

I quite enjoyed the Nick Cave shows last night on BBC four.

Obviously I’ve been aware of a couple of the more well known songs and he (and the bad seeds) are often cited as an influence by bands I listen to, but for whatever reason I’ve never made an effort to get into their stuff. Can’t give a good reason why. I want to say that there’s a lot to digest there’s an impenetrable quality about them, but then that hasn’t prevented me with liking the Floyd.

Anyway, rectifying that now I’m gonna start basic with the “lovely creatures” ‘84 - 14 best of and go from there.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I've mentioned Nick Cave on here before, because he's somebody I really feel I should like, but somehow I never quite get it. Same as usual last night - it was... OK. But that's all. A bit Tom Waits, a bit Scott Walker, a lot Leonard Cohen. But after a while, very samey. Gloomy piano chords and declaiming lyrics that rely heavily on lists and cultural name-drops. Not many decent tunes. Didn't hate it, didn't love it, eventually switched it off. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Obviously I’ve been aware of a couple of the more well known songs and he (and the bad seeds) are often cited as an influence by bands I listen to, but for whatever reason I’ve never made an effort to get into their stuff. Can’t give a good reason why. I want to say that there’s a lot to digest there’s an impenetrable quality about them, but then that hasn’t prevented me with liking the Floyd.

Anyway, rectifying that now I’m gonna start basic with the “lovely creatures” ‘84 - 14 best of and go from there.

Same here. Yes, I watched that last night and enjoyed it and I’ve been through the same thought process AND went and got Lovely Creatures when it came out.

’Into My Arms’ is just the most stunning piece of art.

In fact, whisper this quietly, ‘Best Of’ might be the close to the only one you really really need.

Could I also suggest some…. Grinderman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I've mentioned Nick Cave on here before, because he's somebody I really feel I should like, but somehow I never quite get it. Same as usual last night - it was... OK. But that's all. A bit Tom Waits, a bit Scott Walker, a lot Leonard Cohen. But after a while, very samey. Gloomy piano chords and declaiming lyrics that rely heavily on lists and cultural name-drops. Not many decent tunes. Didn't hate it, didn't love it, eventually switched it off. 

I may ultimately feel like that once I’ve digested a bit more, but there was enough I heard last night that I enjoyed and there’s sufficient acclaim around him/them that I feel having something by them, even if it’s ultimately just a career best of, is probably a worthwhile purchase.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

spacer.png

On my 23rd Birthday (a long time ago) my good lady wife bought me Murder Ballads on CD after a friend mentioned it might be something I'd enjoy. At first I didn't really know what to make of it, but then after a few listens the music, the lyrics, and Nicks emphatic delivery of them (Stagger Lee...oh my word) began to click.

He's been one of my ever present musical heroes since then. I adore him.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Chris is a bit wrong on this one. Nick Cave for me is an artist that a greatest hits is just the tip of the iceberg. His albums are very much consistently good. Kicking against the pricks, the Good Son, Tender Prey, he is the master of wholly great albums. I adore The Good Son and if I had never heard a Nick Cave song and someone said it was a greatest hits, I would believe them. 

Yeah, well you were were **** wrong starting the **** best of 2021 thread so **** early.

• Haha 3

Â