VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

18 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Blimey the BBC6 music top ten albums of 2021 is way off my tastes this year despite liking and listening to 6music most days.

Out of their selection, I like the Jane Weaver album despite it being her most ‘poppy’ opus to date and whilst Idles are ok, the album has only been out for a few weeks and doesn’t warrant a top 10 slot. 

As for Little Simz… great musical compositions marred by awful rapping. Not my party at all… 

I wrote out a fairly lengthy critique of Little Simz and how this album fails and it's predecessors fail due to her being a shit rapper. Then I deleted it as I was obsessed with how dreadful she is on Venom which isn't even on this album. She is dreadful but as she is a young female, British rapper, she gets a free pass. Venom, not from this album, really is a lesson in bad delivery and bad production of a great idea. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

On 25/11/2021 at 12:00, mjmooney said:

Oh, right. Possibly worse still. I think you have to pay extra to get Disney on Amazon, don't you? 

I believe i saw a review  the other day that said you can sign up for a free trial on Disney + that will give you access to all 3 parts of this 

long as you cancel within the month then you essentially can watch it for free , just the aggro of signing up , bit that's negated by the satisfaction of knowing you are pissing Bicks off 

• Thanks 1

Ruge: "Yes especially going back to the 60s and 70s . A lot of the rock bands from that era drew influence from a wide range of music . Maybe that’s the case for later decades too".

It's why I always liked Led Zeppelin much more than Sabbath and Purple. Yes, hammerhead riffing, but also blues, UK folk, US folk, funk, reggae, country, rockabilly - all in there. 

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Ruge: "Yes especially going back to the 60s and 70s . A lot of the rock bands from that era drew influence from a wide range of music . Maybe that’s the case for later decades too".

It's why I always liked Led Zeppelin much more than Sabbath and Purple. Yes, hammerhead riffing, but also blues, UK folk, US folk, funk, reggae, country, rockabilly - all in there. 

Yes , zeppelin took a lot more into their music, which set them above most if not every other rock band . Sabbath were more jazz influenced than zeppelin I think and it came out more in their music. Purple had more classical elements than the other two, but I agree both those bands were more one direction than zeppelin. Sabbath did more trippy things than the other two which I liked . 

Just now, bickster said:

Zep > Sabbath > The Purp

Sabbath >Zeppelin > Purple 

I have my moments with each particular one where I listen to them more than the others . All three were so different sound wise and band members wise. All three were great. 

• Like 3

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Sabbath >Zeppelin > Purple 

I have my moments with each particular one where I listen to them more than the others . All three were so different sound wise and band members wise. All three were great. 

Yep it's just my taste. I like elements of all three but thats the order of the three for me.

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Gospel>rhythm & blues>jazz>gospel

Apart from the fact that gospel's in twice (deliberate circular argument?), I can't reconcile this one. 

For me, r&b>gospel, but jazz is just... different. 

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Apart from the fact that gospel's in twice (deliberate circular argument?), I can't reconcile this one. 

It makes more sense when you know the speech by Jesse Jackson that Primal Scream used at the start of Come Together.

26 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It was deliberately circular, yes. I’ve played Bitches Brew a few times in the last couple of weeks, I wouldn’t want to try and rate it above or below some Staple Singers or Ray Charles, The JB’s or Aretha Franklin.

I’ve got a few records on the El Paraiso label (one of those beautiful labels you can buy something utterly unknown because the label is the sign of quality), the band Causa Sui are probably as close as I get to old fashioned ‘rock’ with heavy guitars. But the guys in the band, such as Jonas Munk, then go off and do folksy albums and jazz albums, and you can hear the references to each of them in their different pieces of work.

As much as I dislike much of the hippy movement, I may have become a musical hippy. 

Although, as an aside, the office know that I will often have music on the computer or in the pool car, or in a man bag at the side of a desk. It might be some 60’s stuff like the Kinks, or some German electronica, Welsh bands committing the crime of singing in Welsh, or Best of Rolling Stones, or some wah wah pedal guitar from the Sahara. Because of this, someone in the office who ‘only’ like Springsteen regards me as the musical snob.

It baffles me, but it also throws some little bit of light on to people voting for Brexit.

• Like 1

Â