VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

The king of the riff is now dabbing his hand at men’s colonge. No doubt I’ll add it as a stocking filler for Xmas. He’s also released a bit of an instrument/video for its release . Scent Of Dark is the name of the bottle. 

sod that at that price, it can stay on the shelves 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

RPM

Vintage hifi and records in Bearwood, Brum.

spacer.png

could be handy as the amp I’m currently using is just beginning to splutter when I change the volume so is due a service

That’s Richard March from Pop Will Eat Itself

• Like 1

Watching Get Back, the Beatles documentary and the pre amble begged a question. America is historically a tough nut to crack but during the 60s the British invasion seemed to find easy success out there, The Animals, The Beatles, Herman's Hermits, The Stones. Why? Obviously the songs form part of this but why was the time right? How did success come, apparently, so easy?

32 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Watching Get Back, the Beatles documentary and the pre amble begged a question. America is historically a tough nut to crack but during the 60s the British invasion seemed to find easy success out there, The Animals, The Beatles, Herman's Hermits, The Stones. Why? Obviously the songs form part of this but why was the time right? How did success come, apparently, so easy?

I think part of the reason is US "popular" music at the time was so culturally different to that of the UK. The US was all folk / soul / funk / country / bubblegum pop / Rock n Roll until the British Invasion. Sure bands like the Kingsmen had occasional Garage Rock hits but it wasn't really mainstream as such. It took the BI in 1964 for the US to even catch on to it's own blues inspired white musicians. Thats what the BI did really it started the convergence of the UK / US music scenes which whilst still not exact replicas are very close these days.

Anyway, stop watching that filth

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

American pop had descended into bland pap. It was ripe for something with a bit more edge. The British beat groups suddenly reminded them of what they'd forgotten about - Chuck Berry, Little Richard et al. And The Stones added the black blues stuff (Muddy Waters and so on). 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I think part of the reason is US "popular" music at the time was so culturally different to that of the UK. The US was all folk / soul / funk / country / bubblegum pop / Rock n Roll until the British Invasion. Sure bands like the Kingsmen had occasional Garage Rock hits but it wasn't really mainstream as such. It took the BI in 1964 for the US to even catch on to it's own blues inspired white musicians. Thats what the BI did really it started the convergence of the UK / US music scenes which whilst still not exact replicas are very close these days.

I have stopped watching that filth. It's been quite interesting (not for you) seeing suggested songs that made it on to solo albums. Will return to it tomorrow I think. 

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think you're fighting a losing battle here. Several of my friends who are solidly of the 80s/90s generation have watched it, and are absolutely raving about it being the best thing they've seen for years. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I think you're fighting a losing battle here. Several of my friends who are solidly of the 80s/90s generation have watched it, and are absolutely raving about it being the best thing they've seen for years. 

I believe it features Pull McCarthourse swinging like a monkey and it features Yoko Oh No!

Would you believe me if I said the Emperor had some new clothes?

The B**tles were a conspiracy to empty the minds of future generations. Brian Epstien was a neo-liberal agent

• Haha 1

Just looked up the US Billboard Hot 100 for year end 1963

Skipping over the fact that the 73rd biggest selling single in the U.S. was Rolf Harris’ Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport, there is a decent spread of artists in there:

Beach Boys

Stevie Wonder

Bobby Darin

Jan & Dean

Martha & The Vandellas

The Ronettes

Ray Charles

The Crystals

Jackie Wilson

Marvin Gaye

The Impressions

Johnny Cash

I’d have been listening to a fair bit of that in about 1980.

But yeah, the majority, just like here, then and now, was pap.

I think we kid ourselves that all the kids were ever hip. 

I think we had a virtuous circle for a while there where both sides of the Atlantic fed off each other. But even then there would have been great geographical and cultural swathes of the US that would have been radically different to each other, from San Fran, to Nashville, New York to New Orleans.

• Like 1

I finally added my variant of Loveless by My Bloody Valentine to Discogs today, predictable bun fight as a result.

If you think I'm a pedantic word removed, go to Discogs and find the real pedants.

There are two variants of the deluxe version of the latest audiophile quality re-release. The one most people have with printed inner sleeves and the version I somehow got with plain inner sleeves but 6 art prints instead.

After some amiable discussion over the last couple of weeks in a forum post, it was decided that a new variant should be added, I did that today.

I added that the only way to distinguish between the two versions when unopened was by weight and included the weight of both versions in the notes for both versions. This was after various members weighed their versions to provide consensus

Cue some knobhead objecting to the addition of the weights to the release notes (release notes are where stuff not visible on the actual physical release are placed) saying they shouldn't be there because they aren't part of the release and you can tell the two versions apart by the inners and the prints. Totally ignoring the entire previous discussion about how to distignuish between the two versions UNOPENED. A discussion was then had about whether people would go to shops with scales...

• Haha 1

Things that you wouldn't ordinarily have bought, but you did because lockdown was boring, it was two in the morning and you weren't sober.

It does make me laugh.

It's like Animal from the Muppets getting political.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Xann said:

Things that you wouldn't ordinarily have bought, but you did because lockdown was boring, it was two in the morning and you weren't sober.

If you told me it was an obscure DIY post-punk outfit from 1978....

Hell it could even be on the Nurse with Wound list

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I have stopped watching that filth. It's been quite interesting (not for you) seeing suggested songs that made it on to solo albums. Will return to it tomorrow I think. 

Look out for the road to marrakesh 

There's loads of tid bits in it, gets better as it goes along as I think I got more used to what it was all about plus I started playing football manager on the side at the same time 

There's some great bits in the last episode 

Spoiler

Heather in the studio and seeing Paul with her, her yoko impression 😂

• Like 1

Â