VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Not forgetting “There's a Ghost in my House” and possibly “Mr Pharmacist” too

Ghost peaked at number 30 , their  biggest hit , Victoria their second biggest at 35 was a Kinks cover version 

Yep , definitely warrants 8 minutes on a show about 80’s music , it would be like including Gustavo Bartelt in a greatest villa 11

Edited by tonyh29

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Ghost peaked at number 30 , their  biggest hit , Victoria their second biggest at 35 was a Kinks cover version 

Yep , definitely warrants 8 minutes on a show about 80’s music 

I think when weighed up as a view on importance, and the latest episode was on alternative 80s, and therefore aside from The Smiths, who also featured, The Fall could be seen as the most important alternative band of the 80s. If you weren't into alternative music then it may be met with a shrug. I think Costeau Twins and Bauhaus were also featured, rightly, as these were part the the 80s alternative. If anything it would have been weird if The Fall weren't featured. 

The previous episode was on unique voices and if you have to fill an hour long show on voices of the 80s that were a little different, I would like to see reasoning why Mark E Smith wouldn't be in it and who would be instead. As it goes the next episode is hip hop to house. The Fall should be absent as sadly Coldcut/The Fall's telephone thing is from 1990. 

Edited by Seat68

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

FFS you lot, don't get me started again on the worst music decade ever. 

Oh, and "Bingo Master's Breakout"? 

Two swans in front of his eyes
Colored balls in front of his eyes
It's number one for his Kelly's eye

Released in 1978 for the record 

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Two swans in front of his eyes
Colored balls in front of his eyes
It's number one for his Kelly's eye

Released in 1978 for the record 

Well, there ya go. It's never going to be my special subject on Mastermind. 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Yep , definitely warrants 8 minutes on a show about 80’s music , it would be like including Gustavo Bartelt in a greatest villa 11

Ghost and Mr Pharmacist were also covers

But judging the cultural impact of The Fall on 80s alternative music by chart placings is just a wee bit silly

In fact denying the cultural impact of The Fall is also a little silly

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bickster said:

You even got Bob Dylan wrong yesterday :mrgreen:

Yeah. And tbh I wouldn't have got that quote under any circumstances. It was from the "Together Through Life" album, which I (unlike many Dylanistas) actually like quite a lot - but mainly for the music, not the words. I could reel off complete lyrics from the 65-75 era, but from about 1997 (Time Out of Mind) onwards, he started writing songs which were way too long, with rather verbose and unfocused lyrics. I still like his general style, but he really could do with an editor. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ghost and Mr Pharmacist were also covers

But judging the cultural impact of The Fall on 80s alternative music by chart placings is just a wee bit silly

In fact denying the cultural impact of The Fall is also a little silly

There is more to cultural impact than appealing to a few rabid left wingers in a  student union hall , to suggest otherwise is a little bit silly  (The chart positions of their cover versions was to help highlight this lack of cultural impact  )

if we are talking 80's and cultural impact on alternative music  then Siouxsie and the Banshees  were more influential than The Fall and they didn't get a mention  

The only thing Mark E smith had going for him was that he said "I don’t like Northern people " :) 

So as per the thread title  ,  8 minutes across 2 shows about the Greatest music decade is wrong didddily wrong  

15 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I had no idea It Ain't Over Til It's Over was a Lenny Kravitz original. Always assumed it was a cover of a classic from the 60s or 70s.

Any other songs that sound like covers, but aren't?

Sunshine on a rainy day by Zoe. I always thought it was a cover, it wasn't but I still don't believe it. 

• Like 1

Â