VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

16 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I had no idea It Ain't Over Til It's Over was a Lenny Kravitz original. Always assumed it was a cover of a classic from the 60s or 70s.

I agree. Would have sworn it was a Smokey Robinson number. 

• Like 2

So, what is a music snob?

Is it worse than being a music Nazi? Stalking the threads seeking out anyone that doesn’t have strictly c of e tory mail reading taste only acquired by having a large nobly stick up your arse for several decades? If it ain’t on the Vera Lynn Greatest War Hits CD then it ain’t no good. 

The last few records I’ve acquired, some Dutch shoegaze, some Brazilian rhythms, a bit of Jamaican dub, a Welsh language record, Primal Scream, The Beach Boys, a country album, some more dub and some disco remixes, oh and a charity album of covers of SFA tunes..

Hopefully, this makes me a music snob. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

While I wouldn't want to find myself inadvertently defending The Fall, there is also more to cultural impact than success in the pop charts. Taking my preferred era of the late 60s/early 70s as an example: who had the greater cultural impact - Lulu or The Velvet Underground? Tom Jones or Jethro Tull? The Marmalade or Neil Young? It all depends what you mean, and who you are. 

yeah I understand that and chart success only really came up because people reeled off a list of their "hits"  .. but to claim cultural impact , surely it  means it has to impact more than 8 people in a dark room with cheap beer and an Ernesto Guevara poster   ..

The fall may have influenced a few musicians , but there are plenty of more influential musicians that didn't get a mention and that was partly what prompted  my post in the first place 

17 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

yeah I understand that and chart success only really came up because people reeled off a list of their "hits"  .. but to claim cultural impact , surely it  means it has to impact more than 8 people in a dark room with cheap beer and an Ernesto Guevara poster   ..

The fall may have influenced a few musicians , but there are plenty of more influential musicians that didn't get a mention and that was partly what prompted  my post in the first place 

The whole current post-punk "revival"... Idles, Shame, Parquet Courts hell, even the Sleaford Mods, it's all The Fall

If there's one band from the '80s that has influenced "alternative" music more than The Fall I'd be amazed to find out who it is.

Sonic Youth, Happy Mondays, Steve Albini, The Pixies, LCD Soundsystem, The Teardrop Explodes, Echo and the Bunnymen, Pavement... this list really is never ending

Hell I can even get from The Fall to Moby in one band (The Passage not that its relevant)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Is it worse than being a music Nazi? Stalking the threads seeking out anyone that doesn’t have strictly c of e tory mail reading taste only acquired by having a large nobly stick up your arse for several decades? If it ain’t on the Vera Lynn Greatest War Hits CD then it ain’t no good. 

The last few records I’ve acquired, some Dutch shoegaze, some Brazilian rhythms, a bit of Jamaican dub, a Welsh language record, Primal Scream, The Beach Boys, a country album, some more dub and some disco remixes, oh and a charity album of covers of SFA tunes..

What’s the Dutch shoegaze? I’ll check that out!

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm struggling how we went from grumbling that The Fall got 8 mins on a TV show to the Daily Mail and Vera Lyn

but , listening to that music is fine .. constantly condemning anyone else's taste in music (unless its Queen ,obviously)   would make you a music snob

32 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

I don’t think I’d even heard of the genre previously.

Thanks but not heard of shoegaze? That does impact on your music snobbery ;) 

Edited by cyrusr

9 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Thanks but not heard of shoegaze?

My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Ride, Cocteau Twins, Jesus and Mary Chain, Chapterhouse, Pale Saints....

So called because you can't dance to it so in a club people used to move from side to side slowly and stare at their shoes (which were invariably pointed chelsea boots or similar with black drainpipe trousers). 

Goth for pussies :mrgreen:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, bickster said:

My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Ride, Cocteau Twins, Jesus and Mary Chain, Chapterhouse, Pale Saints....

So called because you can't dance to to so in a club people used to move from side to side slowly and stare at their shoes (which were invariably pointed chelsea boots or similar with black drainpipe trousers). 

Goth for pussies :mrgreen:

I know what shoegaze is, @chrisp65 was suggesting he wasn’t aware of it!

But yeah goth for pussies sounds about right! Wait until people get introduced into Blackgaze!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â