VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

10 hours ago, Seat68 said:

BBC has a documentary on Keith Jarrett followed by some jazz. Nice. 

I' m sure all music fans will want to know that Jarrett sued Steely Dan for copying one of their numbers . The SD song 'Gaucho' sounded suspiciously like one of his numbers and he sued; think he won and some liner notes included him in the credits.

re. Brand X  - yep they were tasty and it is a  damn shame that Phil Collins was such a good drummer; it detracted from the fact that he is a pratt.

9 hours ago, il_serpente said:

I've always  liked Robert Cray

Massively talented. Not a flashy player, but he was never about guitar heroism. But it's his singing voice that for me, makes him so good. Pure soul.

• Like 1

I like the music of the late 50s early 60s but my favourite type of music is instrumental ( wich is from any era ) Check out " Theme from a summer place " Percy Faith,"Stranger on the shore" Acker Bilk and for the singing type 50s/60s music check out "Unchained melody" by the Righteous Brothers > below.

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

I like the music of the late 50s early 60s but my favourite type of music is instrumental ( wich is from any era ) Check out " Theme from a summer place " Percy Faith,"Stranger on the shore" Acker Bilk and for the singing type 50s/60s music check out "Unchained melody" by the Righteous Brothers > below.

When you were a teenager, right? 

I'm awaiting a Discogs backlash from the My Bloody Valentine devoted

I've just uploaded a photo of six art prints that were included in my copy of Loveless, I can find absolutely no mention of them anywhere online.

Six photo prints essentially of the album images plus 2 more similar so they clearly belong with the album

I can't decide whether I'm a bit like Chocolate Factory Charlie finding the golden ticket or I'm completely missing something obvious

It'll lead to gnashing and wailing and I'm not sure whether the photo should have been uploaded but at least I might get an answer to my question

Here they are anyway

IMG_1300.jpeg

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm awaiting a Discogs backlash from the My Bloody Valentine devoted

I've just uploaded a photo of six art prints that were included in my copy of Loveless, I can find absolutely no mention of them anywhere online.

Six photo prints essentially of the album images plus 2 more similar so they clearly belong with the album

I can't decide whether I'm a bit like Chocolate Factory Charlie finding the golden ticket or I'm completely missing something obvious

It'll lead to gnashing and wailing and I'm not sure whether the photo should have been uploaded but at least I might get an answer to my question

Here they are anyway

IMG_1300.jpeg

I am not going on a blue Monday style hunt for my wife's copy but I am pretty sure there weren't any prints. Hers is an original issue 

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I am not going on a blue Monday style hunt for my wife's copy but I am pretty sure there weren't any prints. Hers is an original issue 

No, this is the remastered repress that reached the shops a couple of weeks ago. Not the original version

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

We tend to think that the music that was around when we were teenagers was the best. 

1999 - 2005 definitely had it's moments and I have a lot of fond memories but I certainly don't think that!  A lot of the 'new' music I was listening to would make most posters on here wince.

I think for every year I went into my teens I would delve another decade into the past.  The introduction and development of streaming/downloading certainly made that a lot easier to do.

Thank Paul McGrath for Young, Springsteen, Orbison etc... The closest thing I had to a hero like that was Ashcroft though I do still maintain he's incredibly gifted.

21 hours ago, mjmooney said:

When you were a teenager, right? 

Thats right but the music I like goes from "The battle hymn of the republic " from the American civil war to the instrumental versions of "Black velvet" and "Riders on the storm"

I am sure there are other bands who have a longer patch where they released nothing but fantastic albums but The Fall for me between 1982s Hex Induction Hour all the way through to 93's The Infotainment Scan is a hell of a long rich run. I suspect for some pre HIH and post TIS are of excellence as well, I just prefer that period. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Thats right but the music I like goes from "The battle hymn of the republic " from the American civil war to the instrumental versions of "Black velvet" and "Riders on the storm"

What have you got against vocals? 

I'm not particularly into instrumentals in the pop/rock field, but completely opposite with jazz and classical, where I don't want to hear any singing. 

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am sure there are other bands who have a longer patch where they released nothing but fantastic albums but The Fall for me between 1982s Hex Induction Hour all the way through to 93's The Infotainment Scan is a hell of a long rich run. I suspect for some pre HIH and post TIS are of excellence as well, I just prefer that period. 

Pink Floyd, 1968 - 1977 maybe close

REM, 1983 - 1994

But that's just me and my love of obscure music so ignore that but the wildly poptastic combo Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds might just have managed a run between 1984 and 2008

• Like 2

Just now, bickster said:

Pink Floyd, 1968 - 1977 maybe close

REM, 1983 - 1994

But that's just me and my love of obscure music so ignore that but the wildly poptastic combo Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds might just have managed a run between 1984 and 2008

Would agree on that but I would also add The Wall, I genuinely like that album, feel it's a good companion to Animals. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Would agree on that but I would also add The Wall

It's definitely where the wheels fall off the Floyd bus for me. Never liked it and it was the reason I instantly decided I didn't like Pink Floyd for many years. I think it was the comparisons between The Orb and Pink Floyd than made me actually try to listen to PF with an open mind

• Like 2

Â