VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

As much as I love them, I don't think Radiohead can be said to be on an unbroken run of great albums. Hail to the Thief is messy, and King of Limbs is as well - neither are great IMO. Though obviously both then got followed by incredibly good albums. In Rainbows is basically perfect.

26 minutes ago, Chindie said:

As much as I love them, I don't think Radiohead can be said to be on an unbroken run of great albums. Hail to the Thief is messy, and King of Limbs is as well - neither are great IMO. Though obviously both then got followed by incredibly good albums. In Rainbows is basically perfect.

In my book Radiohead have only released one semi-shit album, Pablo Honey, 2 songs and a load of filler. It took me quite some time to get into the change from OKC to KIDA but once I did, I've really liked everything

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

It's definitely where the wheels fall off the Floyd bus for me. Never liked it and it was the reason I instantly decided I didn't like Pink Floyd for many years. I think it was the comparisons between The Orb and Pink Floyd than made me actually try to listen to PF with an open mind

It was The Wall that finished the Floyd for me. 

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder where I’d rank The Wall if it was a single album, there’s stuff on there that I always skip. 

However it’s probably fair to say some of the themes and narrative would be lost if it was edited.

As for jumping off points with them, I can find things to like with stuff after The Wall, the post Roger stuff (admittedly I never bothered with “The Endless River”).

I used to work with a bloke who was adamant “The Final Cut” was their best album. Takes all sorts.

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds might just have managed a run between 1984 and 2008

Why did you stop at Dig Lazarus Dig?  PTSA would deffo be in my list, and Skeleton Tree and Ghosteen are arguably in there too.  Basically they’ve never made a duff album, ever. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Why did you stop at Dig Lazarus Dig?  PTSA would deffo be in my list, and Skeleton Tree and Ghosteen are arguably in there too.  Basically they’ve never made a duff album, ever. 

If I'm reading Bicks correctly, he's saying DLD was below par. I agree with him tbh, some good tracks but it's not their best by a mile.

PTSA and Skeleton Tree are both superb.

Edited by Designer1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Hail to the Thief is messy

Loads of people say that, but it’s close to the top of my favourite Radiohead albums, although I guess that’s maybe a bit because Amnesiac just before it only had about 4 tracks on it I really liked, and was probably my least favourite since Pablo Honey, so it felt like a really strong return

17 minutes ago, blandy said:

PTSA is one of the few I don't own, so I've not listened to it much

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

PTSA is one of the few I don't own, so I've not listened to it much

Ah right, I read you wrong then.

As Pete says PTSA is a belter. I think Jubilee Street is one of the best songs they've recorded.

• Like 2

Bringing the thread down a notch or two no doubt, but as pop songs go, Beat It, by Michael Jackson is near perfect. Especially when the guitar solo kicks in. 

Having a look at upcoming bands at a local place, everything is around a tenner. Some are £7, Lovely Eggs are definitely top end of the band at £13

Cockney Rejects, way out on a limb at £22

Cockney Rejects? £22?

53 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Having a look at upcoming bands at a local place, everything is around a tenner. Some are £7, Lovely Eggs are definitely top end of the band at £13

Cockney Rejects, way out on a limb at £22

Cockney Rejects? £22?

They were third division punk when there were only two divisions

they’ve never been worth £2 let alone £22

Â