Ratings & Reactions: Leeds v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/03/21 at 23:59

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

Martinez - never less than assured. Bit worrying he wasn't taking kicks in the second half and read given some painkillers though.

Elmo - solid. Not an easy night but did well.

Konsa - completely assured, never in trouble.

Mings - pro CB display, excellent.

Targett - he'd have been off on another night just through a series of niggly fouls. Nothing bad but a lot of little things that might have brought a card. But otherwise he worked hard and had his usual solid display this season.

Nakamba - great. He was the constant presence nipping about in front of the defence, getting a vital touch. Top man.

McGinn - the midfield dynamo we know and love. Fighting for everything, running for everything, making a key pass. Good stuff.

Ramsey - brought something different to our midfield. Worked hard and he's got an eye for a through ball. He's a player.

Traore - missing in the first half, better in the second but still not his best game. Couldn't seem to get into the game, nothing fell for him and he was left doing a lot of very little.

Watkins - work work work. Man doesn't stop working. He's going to fight for every ball and run every channel. We've what an assist! :ph34r:

AEG - first half he was on fire. Got the goal with a brilliant bit of movement and world class touch, and then had a shoot on sight policy that kept them on their toes. Quieter second half but still a key out for us with his Grealish style runs up the wing.

Sanson - not on long but a few more glimpses that he's a decent player. Good touch, good ability, has that tenacity to get stuck in. I'm looking forward to him getting into the side.

Trez - on for 10 minutes but managed to make guys presence felt with a couple of drives up the pitch where he somehow wasn't tackled as he bulldozed through 5 white shirts.

Really, really good performance. A really professional performance, the kind of game over the last decade we've not seen that often, where we've not needed to go backs to the wall last ditch hanging on stuff. It was one of those performances were we could still be playing tomorrow and they'd not have scored.

Great stuff. The midfield was right today and it made all the difference. Nakamba keeping it simple and solid in the mopping up role, McGinn doing the midfield dynamo thing and Ramsey running and with an eye for a pass.

not sure how you can say traore improved in the 2nd half he was a liability and dreadful especially in the 2nd half he gave the ball away every single time he was involved.  All I could think as mitigation is that he struggled on the poor pitch more than anyone else.  how smith didn't bring him off after 60 mins I have no idea.  I'll put it down to bad pitch and bad day at the office but if he plays anywhere near that poorly again I'd drop him and I thought trez showed in his cameo 5 minutes 10 times the commitment and skill.  The rest I pretty much agree with although I thought Targett was excellent.  close to the line but dominating and a threat bringing it out of defence.

So guys I was actually having a read through Twitter and I think we should start laying off the Leeds fans for their Llorente rolling around on the ground like he was being shot by tiny invisible pellets from close range. The consensus from the Leeds fans is that 'They're better than that'. I think 70% of the replies to one tweet said it, so it must be true. So let's give them the benefit of the doubt. Leeds historically have been a very well to-do team and club, producing such heroic figures as Lee Bowyer and I don't know, other Representatives for Wellingborough. Jonathan Woodgate seems like a bit of a tit. But yeah what I'm saying is Leeds are better than that apparently, and shouldn't have sunk to our level.

Sorry Leeds. We thought you weren't better than that

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Paul33 said:

Yes ..... has looked jaded for a few games now. Ollie Watkins minus a yard of pace is simply a lightweight, ineffective frontman. He struggled to stay with the pace tonight and I think Smith should have subbed him after 60 mins because everything was bouncing off him when we desperately needed to keep hold of it.

No. 

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That was Llorente wasn’t it?

Listening to Bamford speak after games. I actually like the guy

Yeah me too. And Kalvin Phillips (who I am aware wasn’t playing today) yet I am still insanely pleased we won. Not sure what it is that makes me hate them so much but it has started to have a derby feel about the fixture.

10 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Final birthday present, 3 points at dirty Leeds.

Good performance, putting grealish in my fantasy team worked a treat.

Dirty whinging leeds

im not sure why its your final birthday  - have faith man, fight that bloody cancer.  get well   

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, YLN said:

I think we should start laying off the Leeds fans for their Llorente rolling around on the ground like he was being shot by tiny invisible pellets from close range.

I've seen another clip of it. Really baddog rolls GIF

Good hardworking, disciplined performance from the team. El-Ghazi may be starting to prove me wrong (I hope so), was a solid performance all round, capped with a goal.  Nakamba was excellent MOTM, lead the press, never gave them a moments peace, won a place for the next match. Traore did a fine job defensively, never seen him work as hard or try as hard to get challenges in. Young Ramsey looks very reliable. Could become our Nicky Butt! If Jack is fit for the next match who do you drop? It will have to be one of El-Ghazi, Traore or Ramsey!?!?

Bamford is one of those people that I really don't like. He acts like such a nice well mannered boy in interviews, but on the pitch he plays like a dirty scheming diver, waiving fake cards every five minutes, trying to get players sent off. We gave him the rough stuff yesterday and he hated it. That said he and Raphinha were the only two Leeds players that were a threat.

This proved what I thought before the match, this Villa squad has a lot of hard workers which means you always have a chance. That is what the foundation of this team has to be. Jack then adds the sparkle! To make us dangerous to any to any team.

Extra shout out to Traore and El-Ghazi, it was their excellent defensive work tucking into a midfield 5 when without the ball in our half that made it so hard for Leeds to break us down.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

not sure how you can say traore improved in the 2nd half he was a liability and dreadful especially in the 2nd half he gave the ball away every single time he was involved.  All I could think as mitigation is that he struggled on the poor pitch more than anyone else.  how smith didn't bring him off after 60 mins I have no idea.  I'll put it down to bad pitch and bad day at the office but if he plays anywhere near that poorly again I'd drop him and I thought trez showed in his cameo 5 minutes 10 times the commitment and skill.  The rest I pretty much agree with although I thought Targett was excellent.  close to the line but dominating and a threat bringing it out of defence.

Very good point about struggling on that pitch more so than other players. 

• Like 1

Â