Ratings & Reactions: Leeds v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/03/21 at 23:59

20 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Maybe so, but his forward passing I thought was wasteful. He played well but he was nowhere near MOTM with the way Mings played. 

Hes not there for his forward passing.  Hes there to make tackles and break up play which he did magnificently.

And that his passing was better than those around him leads me to think there is more to your opinion that what happened on the pitch.

Fact of the matter is, he had a fantastic game and did he job consistently better than nearly every other player.

I say nearly because there is a fair argument for Mings, who was also immense, and Targett who did the dirty really well tonight, something we have missed far years.

But to say hes not motm material because he didn't excel at something he isn't in the team to do is massively biased.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, flashingqwerty said:

Hes not there for his forward passing.  Hes there to make tackles and break up play which he did magnificently.

And that his passing was better than those around him leads me to think there is more to your opinion that what happened on the pitch.

Fact of the matter is, he had a fantastic game and did he job consistently better than nearly every other player.

I say nearly because there is a fair argument for Mings, who was also immense, and Targett who did the dirty really well tonight, something we have missed far years.

But to say hes not motm material because he didn't excel at something he isn't in the team to do is massively biased.

Exactly.

Why do people have to overcomplicate the role?

We don't need a playmaker in that position.

26 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Martinez - never less than assured. Bit worrying he wasn't taking kicks in the second half and read given some painkillers though.

Elmo - solid. Not an easy night but did well.

Konsa - completely assured, never in trouble.

Mings - pro CB display, excellent.

Targett - he'd have been off on another night just through a series of niggly fouls. Nothing bad but a lot of little things that might have brought a card. But otherwise he worked hard and had his usual solid display this season.

Nakamba - great. He was the constant presence nipping about in front of the defence, getting a vital touch. Top man.

McGinn - the midfield dynamo we know and love. Fighting for everything, running for everything, making a key pass. Good stuff.

Ramsey - brought something different to our midfield. Worked hard and he's got an eye for a through ball. He's a player.

Traore - missing in the first half, better in the second but still not his best game. Couldn't seem to get into the game, nothing fell for him and he was left doing a lot of very little.

Watkins - work work work. Man doesn't stop working. He's going to fight for every ball and run every channel. We've what an assist! :ph34r:

AEG - first half he was on fire. Got the goal with a brilliant bit of movement and world class touch, and then had a shoot on sight policy that kept them on their toes. Quieter second half but still a key out for us with his Grealish style runs up the wing.

Sanson - not on long but a few more glimpses that he's a decent player. Good touch, good ability, has that tenacity to get stuck in. I'm looking forward to him getting into the side.

Trez - on for 10 minutes but managed to make guys presence felt with a couple of drives up the pitch where he somehow wasn't tackled as he bulldozed through 5 white shirts.

Really, really good performance. A really professional performance, the kind of game over the last decade we've not seen that often, where we've not needed to go backs to the wall last ditch hanging on stuff. It was one of those performances were we could still be playing tomorrow and they'd not have scored.

Great stuff. The midfield was right today and it made all the difference. Nakamba keeping it simple and solid in the mopping up role, McGinn doing the midfield dynamo thing and Ramsey running and with an eye for a pass.

Good post mate 

I do enjoy watching Targett being aggressive though. Wingers are not happy playing against Targett these days and that helps a great deal for our defence. 

Traore not too good today but that shithouse of a pitch didn't help his cause!

6 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Bizarre post and massively wide of the mark. Nakamba was excellent and I thought he was excellent in the game against Newcastle too. He should keep his place in the team for the Sheff Utd match no question. 

I’m merely stating that I cannot see how anyone can watch that match and think he was motm ahead of Targett, Konsa and especially Mings who was phenomenal. Nakamba played well, but his forward passing was wasteful at times (as was McGinns too). 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

Cracking result, only got to see the game in bits due to responsibilities (kids), but thought the midfield looked way more balanced.

Credit to Smith for switching it up, set the team up perfectly and managed the game really well. Organisation and hard work were there in abundance. It's always nice when your 'squad' players play well and contribute too, Nakamba is greatly improved on last season, El Ghazi looks much more dangerous on the left, Ramsey looks promising and Elmo showing his experience and let no one down.

Think we needed a bit of a back to basics performance, 13 clean sheets is it this season? Incredible progress from last year!

Edited by Teale's 'tache
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Maybe so, but his forward passing I thought was wasteful. He played well but he was nowhere near MOTM with the way Mings played. 

Also, Mings pass completion tonight was 67%, so you probably thought his forward passing was top notch 🤣

Seriously though, Luiz is the only villa player this season with a better passing rate than Nakamba, which IS shocking.

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF

Very pleased with that. Credit to Smith for setting the team up to make life hard for Bielsa’s bun boys. Marvelous was excellent and provided the defensive bite we’ve missed in his position recently. Ramsey did well, in what was a tough game for him to start. Right up on the list of things you love to see is Matt Targett, fresh out of his Superted pyjamas, bullying Leeds players - I love the battling side of his game that’s come on this season. Mings and Konsa were imperious, Martinez cold as ice and never really troubled. 

We struggled to keep the ball at times but always posed a threat on the counter. El Ghazi’s finish deserves praise, I thought he’d fall over... Trezeguet would have broken his own leg in the same position. 

Anyway, a 1-0 win away from home is satisfying. The fact that Leeds fans will be crying tonight is even sweeter. Soak it up tonight, Villa fans, soak it up. 

UTV!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Very good performance. We dominated the game and most of it was off the ball. They were limp in attack against us except for maybe 10 minutes where they got in between the lines. 

Tactical masterclass by deano. 

Yeah but Bielsa sits on a bucket and squats all game though. He's clearly the better manager.

• Haha 1

"Aston Villa rode all of their insurmountable luck tonight by barely scraping 3 points at the greatest stadium in our universe. The real headline though, was another masterclass from our lord and saviour King Marcelo Bielsa, who once more created a tactical masterpiece on the freshly carpeted pitch, all whilst squatting to take a Guinness world record 58 dumps in 90 minutes. One of those rancid little turds that he produced, is actually Leeds' number 9. Man of the match went to the world class 93 year old, Pablo Hernandez, who is 10 times the player of Jack Girlish"

• Haha 2

Just now, flashingqwerty said:

Also, Mings pass completion tonight was 67%, so you probably thought his forward passing was top notch 🤣

Seriously though, Luiz is the only villa player this season with a better passing rate than Nakamba, which IS shocking.

Remember, Mings isn’t in the team for his forward passing, right...?

That stat is so misleading as well. Mings has to clear the ball so often, which includes covering the fullbacks for balls over the top and clearing down the line.

Nakambas successful passing, I’d argue, were the short, sharp passes in the middle between him and the centre half’s/full backs. 

Anyway, I genuinely don’t care what the stats say, I thought Nakamba played very well, I just thought Mings was an absolute rock and my MOTM. Happy for you to use the stats against me though. 

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF

Very pleased with that. Credit to Smith for setting the team up to make life hard for Bielsa’s bun boys. Marvelous was excellent and provided the defensive bite we’ve missed in his position recently. Ramsey did well, in what was a tough game for him to start. Right up on the list of things you love to see is Matt Targett, fresh out of his Superted pyjamas, bullying Leeds players - I love the battling side of his game that’s come on this season. Mings and Konsa were imperious, Martinez cold as ice and never really troubled. 

We struggled to keep the ball at times but always posed a threat on the counter. El Ghazi’s finish deserves praise, I thought he’d fall over... Trezeguet would have broken his own leg in the same position. 

Anyway, a 1-0 win away from home is satisfying. The fact that Leeds fans will be crying tonight is even sweeter. Soak it up tonight, Villa fans, soak it up. 

UTV!

I thought Nakamba was probably MOTM but I voted for Targett because he clearly got under their skin and I found it hilarious. He's a star.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Bizarre post and massively wide of the mark. Nakamba was excellent and I thought he was excellent in the game against Newcastle too. He should keep his place in the team for the Sheff Utd match no question. 

I’m merely stating that I cannot see how anyone can watch that match and think he was motm ahead of Targett, Konsa and especially Mings who was phenomenal. Nakamba played well, but his forward passing was wasteful at times (as was McGinns too). 

Sorry Delph but all Nakambas stats are better than the players you mention.  Better tackling success, more individual duels won, better passing success, more turnovers, more interceptions.

His role is to defend, and he was the best at that tonight, and 45% of fans agree he was motm, more than double any other player.

Â