The Race for Europe 20/21

GingerCollins29

11 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I can't believe we're 27 games into this season. It feels more like we've played about 15! Flying by.

Can't believe we're 27 games in and we've still to play Spurs and Everton! Has the Everton home game even been rescheduled yet? Bit bizarre if we play them twice in May, doubt that's ever happening before playing a team for first time in the season in May!

Yeah the 4 games v those two will pretty much decide if we finish top 8 or lower.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, useless said:

We can still finish top six, we've got Wesley, Grealish and Cash to come back, we've mostly got difficult fixtures left to play - the exact kind of fixtures that we do well in, and we've been out of form - meaning we're due to come back into form. Would say we could still finish top five but I'm still expecting Liverpool to improve at some point and go on a run of form.

Even if we just match our earlier season results against the teams we've already played earlier in the season that would give us an extra thirteen points, taking us to fifty-four points in total, and that doesn't even take into consideration that we've still also got Tottenham and Everton to play twice.

Oh I hope Liverpool do not, I’d love for them to finish below us and Arsenal, 10th or lower. 

12 hours ago, lexicon said:

It (a European places finish) is a nice thought but ultimately a bit too soon for us, I feel. We're doing well and I think with another summer we'll definitely be in contention next year.  

I agree with this. I’d rather we continue to build a squad that can cope with 38 leagues games before we think about at least another 10 games on Thursday nights. 

We are not ready for Europe just as we weren’t ready for promotion and as in that promotion season a decent spell belies the real standing of the squad. We don’t have the quality or quantity, nor consistency, and I worry our league performance would suffer under the strain - we can’t compete in domestic cups now where the opposition field their reserves.

If we have a solid summer transfer window adding 2-3 very good players and maybe a marquee player or two, and keep Jack; kick on next season with improved performances, AND have another similar Summer transfer window in 2022, I reckon we could take on Europe without compromise. Anything before is folly and possibly detrimental to the long game ambitions. If NSWE deliver that then we have owners that are as serious as any in football, any thing could happen.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

On 15/03/2021 at 02:39, Tom13 said:

I can't believe we're 27 games into this season. It feels more like we've played about 15! Flying by.

I dunno. To me it feels like we've played 65. **** covid bollocks. The last year has felt like a decade. 

Think all our losses this season has come with me watching. Might as well just toss my TV and we'll win the league.

• Like 1

We have a better chance of winning the Europa league than of winning the premier league, we probably have a better chance of winning the Europa league than we do of finishing top four. So I don't think we'd have anything to lose by competing in the fifty year old tournament, only way it would really harm us is if competing in it would put us in jeopardy of relegation, but if we were to spend wisely on the squad it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

We have a better chance of winning the Europa league than of winning the premier league, we probably have a better chance of winning the Europa league than we do of finishing top four. So I don't think we'd have anything to lose by competing in the fifty year old tournament, only way it would really harm us is if competing in it would put us in jeopardy of relegation, but if we were to spend wisely on the squad it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Not even sure we would enter the Europa League I think 7th gets you into the European Spangles Super Shield or something from next year.  Have no idea on the format.  Think 5th and 6th get Europa.

Winning the EFL cup to qualify for the Europa Conference League, winning that to qualify for the Europa League, and winning that to qualify for the Champions League, then winning that to qualify for the Club World Cup and finally winning that is the real 5 year masterplan for greatness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 14/03/2021 at 21:22, GingerCollins29 said:

Arsenal fans and arteta believing they can qualify for europe. We're above them with a game in hand, with two of our best players about to return to the team. We (incl me at times) can be so pessimistic. Amazing what a win can do to lift everyone

Perhaps we should be optimistic that we are still picking up points even though we have been off form for months. Last season we didn't win for about 10 games.

With Grealish back and if some of our key players find form again we could be right back in it.

Do you want to bet against us? 40 years on.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 14/03/2021 at 20:28, AVTuco said:

I'm thinking 13th is where we end up.

I said 12th at the season start, so we are still ahead of my expectations.