Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Arsenal

limpid

Match Polls  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/02/21 at 23:59

Arsenal look like a deeply mid table team and I can't see Arteta lasting much longer than the season. They are actually regressing after removing Emery. Anyway its not my problem.

Solid win for Villa, very impressive to get back in the saddle after the mid week disappointment. A sign of a good team. Now have we have a week off to rest and prepare for the next game.

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. 

The whole stat around having the same points, with 17 games left, as we finished on last season - mind blowing!

I was nervous going into this one and feared defeat and even when we scored i thought “too early?”, but we showed how much we’ve grown as a team. It was even comfortable at times. Arsenal are a good team with so cracking individuals, but we nullified their threat time and again, even looking the more likely for the second goal. 

Back 5 were exceptional, plus unbelievable work rate from Ollie and John. Special mention to Bert for chasing the lose ball down for the goal, but hand to give Mings MOTM for his performance today - solid. 

So pleased we have a week between games. UTV

• Like 3

Thought the back four were immense today, Mings and Cash particularly so. Love the vocals from Mings and Emi too, keeping everyone focused.  Not our best performance but an improvement on mid-week and a great way to banish that defeat. Work rate was top notch . Thought Barkley did well at start of second half and was a threat going forward but did fade after that. Doesn't look fully fit to me.

• Like 1

Fantastic game which Arsenal were lucky not to lose by more.

Our defence was unbelievable, especially Mings; what a player he can be when he keeps it simple.

Watkins MOM. The guy is an absolute dynamo.

A brilliant defensive performance. I am normally a bundle of nerves during that type of game, but I felt really confident that we would not only not concede, but would score again.

I am unconvinced by Berkley. The worst player on our team today. 

• Like 1

Impressed by all of them putting a shift in. To be fair, I am glad that Arsenal also did an Arsenal at times by fannying about rather than running directly at us, like west ham did.

Think the ratings above speak volumes, 170ish votes for MOTM and only 4 of them are for a midfielder and none at all for Grealish. That's rare!

Think the midfield were largely anonymous today, defence superb and Watkins fantastic. Personally I give the MOTM to Cash as he nullified Arsenal's biggest threat.

Going to go against the tide with my feelings about the game but I can only say what I saw 

Martinez - 9. Absolutely brilliant with everything. Took fewer risks with distribution and didn't have a lot to do but stood up we'll go everything he did.

Cash - 9. I'm normally a bit worried about Cash because I think he's a bit suspect defensively sometimes and we conceded a lot from him getting beaten on that side. But today he was superb. They got nothing out of him but McGinn did help there a lot.

Konsa - 7. Good but a bit rash in places. A couple of poor decisions. I didn't think the free kick and yellow was more of a free to Konsa so I can't blame him for that. The challenge was the right thing to do anyway.

Mings - 10. Can't think of a single foot he put wrong. Immense.

Targett - 9. Sublime.

Marvelous - 8. Did exactly what he was put in there for which was to cut down on options to pass through us. Used perfectly by Dean.

McGinn - 7. Monster. Engine coming back. The power arse is revving up. Maybe deserved an 8 but I'd like to see the best passing and shooting he used to do.

Barkley - 8. I thought he was excellent until being rightly subbed off when he was starting to lose influence. Some really nice touches, linking up well but just a millisecond too slow in some decisions. Hopefully coming back into fitness and form.

Traore - 7. Very good. Becoming one of our most dangerous players. Glad he does things like tries the dink because it's the kind of thing we haven't had in a long time.

Watkins - 9. Incredible engine. The work rate is something else. Positioning and shooting are brilliant.

Grealish - 7. I'm probably scoring him lower because I know he can do so much more. He seemed a bit risk averse today and I felt he could have provided more. I'm spoilt now though.

Trezeguet - 6. Did what he was supposed to which was be a pain in The Arse. But nothing else.

Ramsey - 5. Thought apart from his single dragback I thought he was a bit poor and I'm still not seeing enough quality to make it at this level. He only ever gets cameos though.

The whole team - 6. I don't think we played that well. The defence was good but Arsenal won it back far too easily and we were too wasteful with decisions. We won because Arsenal were really bad. This probably should've been 5-0 but we let them off many times over. But it's brilliant we won.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

This is more than 3 points. 

It shows that midweek was a blip and its the first double over these ***** in 27 years.

Anyone know the last time we did a double to nil against them?

1922. I think.

Â