Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Arsenal

limpid

Match Polls  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/02/21 at 23:59

Can tell Smith & co. decided to go back to basics a little bit after how easily we've been played through in the last couple of games and it paid off. Bit fortunate with the goal but the persistence of Traore and Ollie made it happen and to be honest we had the more clear cut chances overall.

Mings was absolutely brilliant today. All of Emi, McGinn, Watkins, Cash, Targett were worthy of MOTM on a normal day but that's up there with the best I've ever seen Mings play, the guy was dominant.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Great result but I didn’t love the performance, we had zero control.

Bizarrely though we created 3 or 4 really good opportunities to score a second goal.

Solid across the back but I’ve gone for Watkins for MotM, the guy is a machine.

Think it suits us more when we’re the underdog and can counter the way we like! 

• Like 1

Some interesting stats on Google's match report:

First league double over Arsenal since 92-93

First time we've won three in a row in the league against Arsenal without conceding since 1920-22

Best points haul after 21 games (35) since the 36 in the 09-10 season. And as we know, it's also the same total as all of last season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

absolutely buzzing. had a bad feeling about this one, would've taken a draw. so many brilliant performances. mings, targett, cash, mcginn back to his best too. brilliant lads!

barkley can do one...fully on board the 'drop ross' bandwagon now

I totally agree Barkley should be dropped but I still think there is more to come from him. I take his anger at coming off was directed at himself as he knows he can do better. 

Ramsey again looked assured in his place 

Hard fought win, you have to love it!

They had about 20 quality attackers on at the end and our defence was solid.  

Shout out to Watkins for some of his tracking back.

Thought Mings was awesome.

Scared to see what the criticism is now because Dean did subs early, did rotation and beat a really good in-form team at home.  Even took Barkley off.  Moto won’t be happy that Grealish wasn’t in the middle but I can’t think of anything else.  Will now start reading reactions.

• Like 2

This was a pretty in form Arsenal side as well (not counting the double red card result against Wolves where they actually played pretty well).

As expected they won the midfield but we also managed 8 shots on goal against their kinda flimsy defense. Nice to see Martinez back to his usual self as well.

Midfield can do much better when on form.

Watkins MOTM again for me. He’s the epitome of what Dean wants from this team. Never stops running and chases everything. Does anyone else notice how he wins absolutely everything in the air when its pumped long. 4 in his last 5, 10 now in the PL. Top top player I absolutely love him and knew this was what we were getting.

Mings’ best game this season, got the BT MOTM, excellent and didnt do what you thought @Robtaylor200you superstitious so and so! Matty Cash was top drawer today too.

McGinn much improved, Emi dependable as ever; getting over his howlers quickly. 11 clean sheets now.

Plenty of good efforts second half and defended well too. Marvelous came in and did his job. All round good day. Bouncebackability proved again UTV 😁💪

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

shoutout for SJM performance. he worked his bollocks off this game and did very well!

Loved his performance today, much improved. Favorite moment was when he took the ball away from an arse player and just thundered through a small ocean of arsenal players midfield before he was eventuelly manhandled into the ground.

• Like 3

Â