Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Arsenal

limpid

Match Polls  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/02/21 at 23:59

30 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Kind of weird how we've just plucked this recent good record against Arsenal out of nowhere. Prior to the win against them at the end of last season they'd regularly beat us comfortably, often with us barely putting up a fight.

2015/16 - lost 4-0 away, 2-0 at home

2014/15 - lost 5-0 away, 3-0 at home, plus that shameful 4-0 defeat in the FA Cup final

2013/14 - won 3-1 away, lost 2-1 at home

2012/13 - lost 2-1 away, 0-0 at home

2011/12 - lost 3-0 away, lost 2-1 at home

The Cup Final was an utter embarrassment and started the final descent to the relegation the following year.  Awful.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

That was a pretty boring game of football on the whole .

Arsenal had more of the ball but their keeper had to work harder than ours did

another quiet one for Jack , Barkley looking like he doesn’t belong in the Prem yet again , Trarore still not able to decide if he’s a quality footballer or a giraffe on roller-skates .

back line stood up to the job well and we owe them for the 3 pts 

I would call it 2 teams not giving much quarter....it was a hard fought game, they can't all be push overs.

They was desperate for a win on the back of a defeat....it was hard and we showed the qualities, to get the valuable win.....they have a talented squad...much respect.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I see Arsenal getting slagged by their fans,

I actually thought they played well.

But we defended WELLER.

Plus finally taking our early chance clinically when we got it.

so did the JAM

Superb result. Makes the lack of effort blip in midweek harder to understand, but we can't expect them to be perfect all the time, they're not robots.

Watkins proving the few doubters thoroughly wrong again. On course for 18 goals this season, and that would be 20 if VAR wasn't sh!t.

I wouldn't have started Barkley,  and given his performance i fail to see how it could have made us any worse, but we won and the ability to bring Ramsey on to freshen things up was a nice trade off. Ross really needs to up his levels, we can't keep carrying these wonder kids that are yet to deliver on their potential.

• Thanks 1

There is something irritatingly pleasing about a 1-0 win.

Its like the team that loses, always thinks they had a chance and the one that wins thinks thats all they had to do......The reality is, it was hard fought.

11 clean sheets......wow.....just simply wow.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Arsenal fans seem to be very convinced Konsa should have a red and Lacazette should have had a pen after his clash with Emi.

In the words of Bootsie, in Bootsie & Snudge ( going back a bit)  "ne'er, ne'er mind hey."

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Indigo said:

Can tell Smith & co. decided to go back to basics a little bit after how easily we've been played through in the last couple of games and it paid off. Bit fortunate with the goal but the persistence of Traore and Ollie made it happen and to be honest we had the more clear cut chances overall.

Mings was absolutely brilliant today. All of Emi, McGinn, Watkins, Cash, Targett were worthy of MOTM on a normal day but that's up there with the best I've ever seen Mings play, the guy was dominant.

Thats what happens when we concentrate and watch the play, top marks for Bertie's interception, it was a top class, execution too.

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

This is more than 3 points. 

It shows that midweek was a blip and its the first double over these ***** in 27 years.

Anyone know the last time we did a double to nil against them?

I don't think it was a blip...more a tactical miscalculation...today was called rectification.

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Massive milestone today. As well as doing the double against the “mighty” Arsenal, we have equalled last season’s points tally after only 21 games. Who knows how far we can go this season?

Given that most wins in the premier league this season have come away from home, I guess the best way to approach a home game is to play as if you are away, and that is what we did. Nicked an early goal and concentrated on defending it. 

We did that very well, although Arsenal are quite poor in front of goal, always wanting to take a second or third touch.

Hard to pick out a MOTM from the defence - Cash, Targett and Mings all did really well but in the end I gave it to Cash who patrolled the right side very effectively.

Well done on an excellent win.

I would suspect having a Oliver Giroud may have helped them......crikey, they have made some rickets in the transfer market, over the years.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Arsenal fans seem to be very convinced Konsa should have a red and Lacazette should have had a pen after his clash with Emi.

Looking at Arsenal forums, they are blaming Arteta and their slow attacking play more than any bad decisions.

BT and Arteta generating controversy where there isn't.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think it was a blip...more a tactical miscalculation...today was called rectification.

I don't think so either.

Arsenal are more like us. Good on the eye. Smaller technical players. We can go toe to toe against those teams.

I just don't think West Ham and their physicality suit us. Bullied us.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't think so either.

Arsenal are more like us. Good on the eye. Smaller technical players. We can go toe to toe against those teams.

I just don't think West Ham and their physicality suit us. Bullied us.

correct.

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think that’s it and West Ham are actually a very good side this year (as much as it pains be to say it) but they work hard, work for each other and everyone knows their role. They’re not great to watch but they seem to be tough to beat which is why they’re up in 5/6th or whatever they are.

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think that’s it and West Ham are actually a very good side this year (as much as it pains be to say it) but they work hard, work for each other and everyone knows their role. They’re not great to watch but they seem to be tough to beat which is why they’re up in 5/6th or whatever they are.

West Ham struggle against teams who sit deep and won't afford them any space. Very much like Leeds.

Played straight into their hands whilst at the same time they exploited our weaknesses..

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Kind of weird how we've just plucked this recent good record against Arsenal out of nowhere. Prior to the win against them at the end of last season they'd regularly beat us comfortably, often with us barely putting up a fight.

2015/16 - lost 4-0 away, 2-0 at home

2014/15 - lost 5-0 away, 3-0 at home, plus that shameful 4-0 defeat in the FA Cup final

2013/14 - won 3-1 away, lost 2-1 at home

2012/13 - lost 2-1 away, 0-0 at home

2011/12 - lost 3-0 away, lost 2-1 at home

May say as much about them as us!😀

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

West Ham struggle against teams who sit deep and won't afford them any space. Very much like Leeds.

Played straight into their hands whilst at the same time they exploited our weaknesses..

Yeah it was a real shame that it went that way. 

I wonder where they will finish? I can’t see them staying up there but they are half decent this year. Even Gollum seems like a new manager after years of being a joke.

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Yeah it was a real shame that it went that way. 

I wonder where they will finish? I can’t see them staying up there but they are half decent this year. Even Gollum seems like a new manager after years of being a joke.

Chelsea will get back to top 4 under Tuchel. I've got no doubts about that. Their squad is unreal.

I still think City, Liverpool, United and Chelsea will be the top 4.

5th and 6th is up for grabs. Everton, Leicester, West Ham and us are all very much in it. Spurs and Arsenal both look done and dusted

Edited by villalad21

Â