Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Arsenal

limpid

Match Polls  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/02/21 at 23:59

played okay, never really got going but that was enough to beat midtable Arsenal. Very well organised. Dean smith seems to be learning on the job, his two subs today in Trez and Ramsey killed the game and slowed it down! Well done.

Mings MOTM for me. Watkins a close 2nd. Shoutouts to Targett, Cash, Martinez, Konsa and Nakmaba, All Brilliant 

Grealish quiet by his standards, Needs a rest
Barkley needs to trackback more and be a team player. Stop sulking when he comes off. Watkins running past him to track back is really showed him up. 

Arsenal fans must be getting desperate if they think Konsa has done anything wrong there. He is clearly fouled by Saka.

If the Ref had got that wrong and sent Konsa off it would certainly have got overturned. If VAR looked at that why on earth

did they not tell the Ref to revoke the Yellow card?

7 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Arsenal fans must be getting desperate if they think Konsa has done anything wrong there. He is clearly fouled by Saka.

If the Ref had got that wrong and sent Konsa off it would certainly have got overturned. If VAR looked at that why on earth

did they not tell the Ref to revoke the Yellow card?

I don't think VAR can review yellows.

• Like 2

Good stuff today, Arsenal aren’t quite the team they used to be but they’re still decent and we controlled the game well and managed it well. 

I was quite critical of our game management against Southampton when protecting a 1-0 lead, we lost control of the game and were lucky to not concede in my opinion (not to play down some of the quality defending the players put in late in that game as well). This time around with Nakamba on the pitch shielding the defence, and making earlier proactive substitutions made a big difference...Trez for Traore early on, and withdrawing Barkley made us a lot more solid and it’s what I thought we should have done vs Southampton. Unsure if Smith reflected on it, looked at the data and knew he needed to adjust his approach or he just read this one differently, either way well done Deano.

Great response from the poor performance mid week as well, just what we needed.

Do we think Barkley was annoyed with his performance, simply wanted to keep playing or some other deeper issue? Strange to see him so irritated but he’s not been great recently. Thought Sanson might get a run today but Ramsey is proving himself to be a good option in his cameos. I don’t mind a new player being bedded in slowly, but he’s going to need a chance at some stage! 

Truly delighted to do the double on that lot today! I really feared we had a burn out issue and would struggle against their energy (Which we kind of did higher up the pitch as we did at Southampton and against West Ham) but the defence were superb throughout. I'm also so pleased for Martinez not having conceded a single goal against them in two games.

Issues:

We give the ball away an incredible number of times in the opposition half. Lost count of the times we lost it today.

The general pattern of play was..

Defend Brilliantly - Ball played forward - Ball given away within 3 touches (Usually 1 or two actually) - back to defending brilliantly - Repeat

We are getting crowded out by teams on the wings and just handing possession straight back 9 times out of 10. The odd occasion we don't we often create something but it happens a lot.

For me we need to find a way to hold onto the ball longer although we won so i'm not grumbling.

I see Arsenal are still a bunch of old moaners though whenever they lose 🤬. I saw nothing in those two incidents they are crying about at all. The Konsa one he grabs some shirt but releases it and Saka is still running but then actually fouls Konsa. The Martinez one is ridiculous as he clearly gets badly barged/fouled and grabs Lacazette's shirt purely to stop himself being knocked to the ground. The freeze frame just shows the shirt grab but not the main foul... Nonsense!

You know I have a feeling that Arsenal can be to Dean Smith what we were to Alex Ferguson and Scumchester United. Last season a few games after the arsenal defeat I distinctly remember Smith saying in an interview "that Arsenal defeat still rankles with me".

Fergie after we stopped them doing the first ever domestic treble really disliked Villa and always wanted to beat us no matter what. 

Hopefully he can get the same desire for revenge against the scummy mancs and finally end the hoodoo. 

9 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

MOTD even when showing the Konsa/Saka incident in super clear slow motion didn't even consider the possibility that it was a foul on Konsa. I just don't get it...

And they all (even Dion Dublin) intimated it should've been a penalty after the tussle between Martinez and Lacazette... Typical strikers! 

There was no way Konsa should've got a yellow, let alone a red. Saka ran across the legs of konsa and tripped himself up. 

Just watched MOTD... we were lucky, especially Emi, with what Ian Wright says was a blatant foul and I think he might be right and justifiably angry. What exactly are the rules on shirt pulling? I just tried to google it in about six different ways and there's nothing. 

Emi grabbed an Arsenal player's shirt and hauled him over, right in front of the goal, whoa. Personally I've never liked players grabbing and holding onto an opponent's shirt, it's football, not WWF wrestling! Hendrick got sent of for Newcastle today for it. Emi, you're a brilliant keeper (and thank you so much for that) but... please don't do that again! It could have cost us two points.

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

There was no way Konsa should've got a yellow, let alone a red. Saka ran across the legs of konsa and tripped himself up. 

Konsa must be sick of getting into trouble for people wellying his standing leg. Fernandes last season, now Saka.

If that had been Grealish in the Saka role, pundits would have been going nuts about him “initiating the contact”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's clear as day that Saka goes through Konsa and takes him out. It should have been our free kick. I saw it live. Didn't even need a replay. These useless pundits have had all day to watch it and still they can't see that Konsa was fouled.

8 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I love this. I hope they make it to Villa Park some day.

That Arsenal fan looks like a kid at a birthday party that nobody wants to play with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

You know I have a feeling that Arsenal can be to Dean Smith what we were to Alex Ferguson and Scumchester United. Last season a few games after the arsenal defeat I distinctly remember Smith saying in an interview "that Arsenal defeat still rankles with me".

Fergie after we stopped them doing the first ever domestic treble really disliked Villa and always wanted to beat us no matter what. 

Hopefully he can get the same desire for revenge against the scummy mancs and finally end the hoodoo. 

In all honesty I think Fergie post 1993 saw us as a minor irritant at best. 

He always spoke well of Villa because 1)- we were never seen as a threat, certainly for the last 10 years at Man U, and 2) he always won at Villa Park including FA Cup Semi Finals.

His order of preference in  dislikes was probably  Dalgish, Liverpool, Arsenal, any other team who might win the league, and the media.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

In all honesty I think Fergie post 1993 saw us as a minor irritant at best. 

He always spoke well of Villa because 1)- we were never seen as a threat, certainly for the last 10 years at Man U, and 2) he always won at Villa Park including FA Cup Semi Finals.

His order of preference in  dislikes was probably  Dalgish, Liverpool, Arsenal, any other team who might win the league, and the media.

Didn't he recommend Big Eck for the Villa job which he eventually took.?!?!? 😂

Â