Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

6 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Looks like it varies on a few different sites I looked at, but around £500m net spend over five years. 

So if you consider their revenue is around 500m a year and apparently wage to earnings ratio is around 70-80%. They are probably even more compliment than we are. 

They were able to spend like crazy when allowed to do so and now they are just a massive club so can continue to spend. 

I suppose the question is how is their revenue so high?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So if you consider their revenue is around 500m a year and apparently wage to earnings ratio is around 70-80%. They are probably even more compliment than we are. 

They were able to spend like crazy when allowed to do so and now they are just a massive club so can continue to spend. 

That’s the million dollar question…

Think transfer wise we are done but I would love some absolutely world class surprise marquee signing no one ever expected us to pull off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Does VillaTalk support FFP or not?

I thought we were generally against it as it’s a way for the bigger clubs to stop new money clubs breaking the hegemony?

In that regard aren’t we supportive of another new money club like Man City bypassing these restrictions and showing our owners what is possible?

Very against FFP in its current form. Very happy for Man City to take it down. They can already spend basically unlimited money. 

1 minute ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Very against FFP in its current form. Very happy for Man City to take it down. They can already spend basically unlimited money. 

I disagree mate, i actually think if their was no FFP they would spend even more. You would see Messi there too, 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Absolutely **** not 

And yes I am, I hope city get taken to court, win and the whole corrupt thing comes crashing down 

I don't want villa to need an official pillow partner in the name of competing, if your owners aren't as rich as someone else's or don't want to pump as much money in as someone else's that is what it is but maybe one day that will change, the value of man utds shirt deal being more than Aston Villas will not change 

Its a man utd wet dream 

Its my biggest disappointment with Lerner, he should have gone on the warpath over this but his media silence thing bit him on the ass big time 

We were a toy for Lerner. A rich kid who wanted us to do well but he wasn’t sufficiently interested to put in the hard work.

NSWE are the opposite in that respect. Yes they have more money than Lerner but the big thing is their ambition is to make us a great club and they are doing the necessary work to do that. They aren’t just randomly throwing money about. They’re interested in being sufficiently involved to put the people and organisation in place to make us an exceptional football club on and off the pitch. Of course they are interested in football and now thankfully specifically in us, but while they will enjoy any big success on the pitch they will probably enjoy the business side just as much. Fortunately for us they were in the right place at the right time to be chosen by Aston Villa. So like us all, they are truly blessed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

Any news on signing Barkley on a permanent after last year's loan spell ?

I posted in the Ross Barkley thread in Other Football, I saw him at Costa Coffee takeout last week. He was in his car with his girlfriend or wife, so I didn’t think it was a good idea to approach him. On that basis, I wouldn’t rule out signing, just remember the start of last season, he was brilliant 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I posted in the Ross Barkley thread in Other Football, I saw him at Costa Coffee takeout last week. He was in his car with his girlfriend or wife, so I didn’t think it was a good idea to approach him. On that basis, I wouldn’t rule out signing, just remember the start of last season, he was brilliant 

I think the OP was taking the piss mate. Not a chance in hell we’re signing Barkley.  Even if he is hanging around Costa Coffee’s in Birmingham.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I disagree mate, i actually think if their was no FFP they would spend even more. You would see Messi there too, 

I'm happy for there to be some sort of FFP system but it's ridiculous that our owners have to massage the finances, like buying the ground from the club, to be able to invest their own money. 

55 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

it's not. that's why they are being investigated. they have lied about how much sponsorship is coming in when its actually in fact the owners that are chucking money in.

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

We were a toy for Lerner. A rich kid who wanted us to do well but he wasn’t sufficiently interested to put in the hard work.

Completely disagree

Lerner saw this bullshit coming from a mile off so walked away, there's 2 problems with that

He walked away rather than fighting, he should have been a very vocal opponent to FFP pulling people away from being duped in to believing that it was bad for Man City and good for everyone else, he should have screamed from the rooftops about what these rules actually mean

Secondly he owned us for about another 4 years after he walked away... 

You'd do well to convince me that it wasn't FFP that killed lerners ownership of us, you can also argue that since FFP we are the club that has had the biggest fall as a result of it, we were 6th in the league, had a charity on our shirt and I think we were either one or one of two clubs that were listed as debt free in the deloitte report that preceded FFP

Lerner is apparently a man who knew nothing about football - he knew enough about it to know what FFP was when too many other clubs owners and fans didn't 

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

NSWE are the opposite in that respect. Yes they have more money than Lerner but the big thing is their ambition is to make us a great club and they are doing the necessary work to do that. They aren’t just randomly throwing money about. They’re interested in being sufficiently involved to put the people and organisation in place to make us an exceptional football club on and off the pitch. Of course they are interested in football and now thankfully specifically in us, but while they will enjoy any big success on the pitch they will probably enjoy the business side just as much. Fortunately for us they were in the right place at the right time to be chosen by Aston Villa. So like us all, they are truly blessed. 

Love the romance of this line but it should really read that they were fortunate to be chosen to pay our substantial overdue debt to HMRC and keep us in existence…..

• Like 1

FFP is a good idea in theory, but as we can see, in practice it’s a nightmare. 

It’s kept the big clubs big and the smaller club small. 

With big teams winning, they attract bigger sponsorships and bigger revenue. From a FFP standpoint, this gives them far much more head room to spend and get the best players. However, smaller clubs can’t win like the big clubs, they don’t get anything near the same sponsorship or revenue. So, they can’t spend big and get the best players, so they can’t win anything to attract bigger sponsorships. 

to make things worse, some of the big clubs clearly cook the books to by pass FFP. And yet worse again, they use money to get away with it, if any legal action happens. 

however, it’s not impossible for small clubs to break through. But only on hard work and merit, and some luck. Leicester, Atalanta, Sassuolo, Lillie, to name a few. That hard work takes time, and the big clubs are hovering ready to pick off the those clubs best players. which they always do.

Football is a food chain and FFP maintains it as a status quo. 

the only thing that has gave this status quo a wobble is Covid.. but that’s just a wobble. 

The solutions are to either scrap it, introduce transfer/salary caps, limit European teams from domestic cups or let them F-off to create a “Super League” which they all have their problems 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1