Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

To be honest, I think Phillips is overrated. I'm not saying he's not a good player and he's very tenacious, but I think there are a decent amount of better defensive mids around.

He would have been a great signing when we were in for him, but now I'm not that fussed.

Edited by Mazrim
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

To be honest, I think Phillips is overrated. I'm not saying he's not a good player and he's very tenacious, but I think there are a decent amount of better defensive mids around.

I think Phillips has looked good this Euros, but I’d also say that Declan Rice is a vital part of that midfield pairing who seems to have gone under the radar, and he does a hell of a lot of good work. What Villa should be encouraged with is that Smith wanted Phillips 2yrs ago, so he knows and sees a good DCM. That we didn’t get him is a shame, but at least we know the manager sees a very good DCM, and so hopefully we get that sorted this summer.

10 hours ago, villaglint said:

See Maddison to Arsenal is trending. May well be BS but if there is something in it may provide some logic around our pursuit of Smith Rowe, will be a big big deal for Arsenal to do financially and will nudge ESR down the ranks. 

Time we stepped in and offered him the option of playing for a club that is on the up then (just because we can). :D

2 minutes ago, John said:

Time we stepped in and offered him the option of playing for a club that is on the up then (just because we can). :D

Let's just go for Maddison.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

He would have been a great signing when we were in for him, but now I'm not that fussed.

I disagree on the basis that if there are better DMCs around none of them play for us... 

9 minutes ago, John said:

That's what I was trying to suggest and he is Jack's mate. 

Know a few Leicester fans and they say he goes missing in a lot of games. He’s great when he’s on his game but is anonymous when he isn’t. General consensus is that he thinks he’s better than he is. 

3 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Quite a lot of people think he's damaged good these days. Would you guys splash £60m+ on him? Not sure I would.

Damaged in what way? As long as he's not injured I would deffo pay that kind of money. I think he's top class. I'd personally have him in this England team too. He'd do amazing things playing with Jack too and they're good mates.

6 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Damaged in what way? As long as he's not injured I would deffo pay that kind of money. I think he's top class. I'd personally have him in this England team too. He'd do amazing things playing with Jack too and they're good mates.

It's a no from me. Was overrated but not anymore for reasons already stated

Edited by Kiwivillan

Just now, Mazrim said:

The implications were that he'd had a falling out with the Leicester management, which is why they'd be willing to let him go, and that he's not actually in the top tier of English talent like Grealish / Foden / Mount etc (hence not being able to make the England squad) but thinks he is and acts like a billy big bollocks. Which would be potentially disruptive to the squad cohesion we have here.

In terms of footballing ability, the charges against him were going missing in big games (as people above have said) and also not being particularly creative - good at scoring goals, but not creating that much himself.

Honestly I haven't followed him that closely recently so I don't know how accurate it is, but there were definitely quite a few Arsenal fans dead set against the idea of potentially selling ESR to make a big money move for Maddison. Interested to hear other people's opinions on the matter.

I would take Maddison in a heart beat, £60m to secure Jacks future here (by signing his best mate) and also getting a very very talented player with bags of PL experience at the right end of the table. Huge yes for me, not that there is a pigs chance it’ll happen. 

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

Quite a lot of people think he's damaged good these days. Would you guys splash £60m+ on him? Not sure I would.

Not a chance, no way.... Not ever.... Not worth the price he'd cost or the hassle he'd cause us...

10 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I would take Maddison in a heart beat, £60m to secure Jacks future here (by signing his best mate) and also getting a very very talented player with bags of PL experience at the right end of the table. Huge yes for me, not that there is a pigs chance it’ll happen. 

We signed his mate Barkley on loan last season 

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

The implications were that he'd had a falling out with the Leicester management, which is why they'd be willing to let him go, and that he's not actually in the top tier of English talent like Grealish / Foden / Mount etc (hence not being able to make the England squad) but thinks he is and acts like a billy big bollocks. Which would be potentially disruptive to the squad cohesion we have here.

In terms of footballing ability, the charges against him were going missing in big games (as people above have said) and also not being particularly creative - good at scoring goals, but not creating that much himself.

Honestly I haven't followed him that closely recently so I don't know how accurate it is, but there were definitely quite a few Arsenal fans dead set against the idea of potentially selling ESR to make a big money move for Maddison. Interested to hear other people's opinions on the matter.

If I had the choice of Mount or Maddison it would be Maddison in a heartbeat.

Frankly I'd be equally likely to want to sign Dele Alli, still has bags of untapped potential and would work well under a manager like Smith. 

I don't think we'll be able to draw either of them to Villa though even if they are risks 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Frankly I'd be equally likely to want to sign Dele Alli, still has bags of untapped potential and would work well under a manager like Smith. 

I don't think we'll be able to draw either of them to Villa though even if they are risks 

Massive attitude problem said by a couple of managers

So no thanks from me

2 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I certainly don't hate the idea of Alli. It is risky as it's big money and no guarantees he'll recover his form.

But if he could, well he was an elite CAM -  arguably on his way to world class. Seems a while ago now though.

And if he didn't find his form, Chukwumeka will be a superstar at the position soon anyway.

• Like 1