Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Cool. Except we were talking about two years ago, when we were newly promoted and favourites to go straight back down and there was very little evidence of any of the above.

Also, if Kalvin Phillips could magically see into the future he'd probably point out Leeds finished above us this season, so I don't know why you're getting arsey with posters suggesting that their equivalent of Grealish might not jump at the chance to leave and come here.

I'm just getting a bit sick of people like you jumping on anyone that suggests were are not yet a top tier club. Hopefully we will be soon, but it's not heretical to acknowledge we can't yet offer CL football, Barcelona / Real Madrid pedigree or Man City wages. 

I wasn’t specifically talking about Philips. I think he’s a good player but then and now unlikely to move anywhere unless the Leeds project comes off the rails. 

I don’t see us as at the top but I see us to have ambitions to get there and I don’t think NSWE are considering anything but fairly rapid progress. What I don’t like is people who are Villa fans belittling us with phrases like “a club like Villa” as though we have no right to be competing to sign players from almost any club unless they’re in the lower reaches of the PL or below. 

If you’re, “sick of people like me”,  who perhaps have seen the ambitions and ability of our new owners and dare to dream of a brighter future then grab your sick bag and buckle up for the ride.  Lots of things make me sick but optimistic Villa fans aren’t one of them. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 4

Maddison, Dele Alli, Rowe-Smith, I don't mind which as long as the club are happy with them. All excellent young English attacking midfielders who can create and score. I'd like to think the team spirit and positivity at the club would negate any apparent attitude problems, but that is for the club to decide. If any of those come and mesh well with our current crop of players....omg!

Someone mentioned earlier that one criticism of Maddison was he tended to score goals rather than create them. With Grealish and Buendia alongside him I think that's exactly what we need. Someone to finish off chances for us apart from Watkins.

Alvarez sounds promising too but I'm not sure if he came whether or not he'd be competing for the same position as those mentioned above.

Question re: Alvarez. Some seem to have positioned him as a cheaper alternative to ESR, but from my (albeit limited) knowledge of him, he's mostly an AMR. 

How do people see us shaping up if we sign him instead of a true AMC?

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

Question re: Alvarez. Some seem to have positioned him as a cheaper alternative to ESR, but from my (albeit limited) knowledge of him, he's mostly an AMR. 

How do people see us shaping up if we sign him instead of a true AMC?

Our 3 behind Watkins switching positions all game. It's the modern way 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Maddison, Dele Alli, Rowe-Smith, I don't mind which as long as the club are happy with them. All excellent young English attacking midfielders who can create and score. I'd like to think the team spirit and positivity at the club would negate any apparent attitude problems, but that is for the club to decide. If any of those come and mesh well with our current crop of players....omg!

Someone mentioned earlier that one criticism of Maddison was he tended to score goals rather than create them. With Grealish and Buendia alongside him I think that's exactly what we need. Someone to finish off chances for us apart from Watkins.

Alvarez sounds promising too but I'm not sure if he came whether or not he'd be competing for the same position as those mentioned above.

Who said that again? The guy had 5 assists as opposed to 8 goals last season. This isn't an El Ghazi case where him shooting on sight gets him 10 goals but 0 assists

Edited by Laughable Chimp

2 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

The implications were that he'd had a falling out with the Leicester management, which is why they'd be willing to let him go, and that he's not actually in the top tier of English talent like Grealish / Foden / Mount etc (hence not being able to make the England squad) but thinks he is and acts like a billy big bollocks. Which would be potentially disruptive to the squad cohesion we have here.

In terms of footballing ability, the charges against him were going missing in big games (as people above have said) and also not being particularly creative - good at scoring goals, but not creating that much himself.

Honestly I haven't followed him that closely recently so I don't know how accurate it is, but there were definitely quite a few Arsenal fans dead set against the idea of potentially selling ESR to make a big money move for Maddison. Interested to hear other people's opinions on the matter.

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Who said that again? The guy had 5 assists as opposed to 8 goals last season. This isn't an El Ghazi case where him shooting on sight gets him 10 goals but 0 assists

This is where it came from.

Personally i think we have had very little success with signing players from the old top 4.

I think generally someone gets used to sitting on the bench and picking up a big salary.

Fair enough if it’s a young non-established player.

Plenty of examples Given, Ireland, Lescott, Richardson, Richards, cleverly.

None of them pulled up any trees.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Leicester making good signings every season, just off top 4 last 2. If they looking to let Maddison go for inflated price that should ring all the alarm bells necessary

Maybe. Leicester make mistakes too. We have to trust our own people though. Sometimes it just time for a player to move on.

Just now, Mazrim said:

Maybe. Leicester make mistakes too. We have to trust our own people though. Sometimes it just time for a player to move on.

Well we haven't even been linked with Maddison 

40 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I wasn’t specifically talking about Philips. I think he’s a good player but then and now unlikely to move anywhere unless the Leeds project comes of the rails. 

I don’t see us as at the top but I see us to have ambitions to get there and I don’t think NSWE are considering anything but fairly rapid progress. What I don’t like is people who are Villa fans belittling us with phrases like “a club like Villa” as though we have no right to be competing to sign players from almost any club unless they’re in the lower reaches of the PL or below. 

If you’re, “sick of people like me”,  who perhaps have seen the ambitions and ability of our new owners and dare to dream of a brighter future then grab your sick bag and buckle up for the ride.  Lots of things make me sick but optimistic Villa fans aren’t on of them. 

Makes you think how many of these, almost anti Villa, chirpers on hear are actual Villa fans.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Makes you think how many of these, almost anti Villa, chirpers on hear are actual Villa fans.

We're all Villa fans (with the odd exception like Rino8). Don't think we need to turn it into a dick measuring contest.

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Cover your ears, indignant screams of outrage incoming. 

Edited by DaveAV1

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

How long left to run on Shay Given’s contract? 

He was Given a 15 year contract. 

Expires in 2027. 

Good value as he's unbelieveable craic in the dressing room. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

He was Given a 15 year contract. 

Expires in 2027. 

Good value as he's unbelieveable craic in the dressing room. 

Only 6 years left, we need to tie him down. Either that or see if we can resign Micah Richards.