Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

7 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Cover your ears, indignant screens of outrage incoming. 

😀 sorry to have quoted your original post Dave but it just feels that sometimes even our own are just trying to be negative and argumentative for no real reason.

I'm anti everything not Villa so it just grinds me sometimes that people  cant see where are and where we are going, no big deal.

Edited by Phil Silvers

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

I certainly don't hate the idea of Alli. It is risky as it's big money and no guarantees he'll recover his form.

But if he could, well he was an elite CAM -  arguably on his way to world class. Seems a while ago now though.

And if he didn't find his form, Chukwumeka will be a superstar at the position soon anyway.

It is risky and I don't think the higher ups deciding on transfers would green-light it but he has all the attributes to be a great player still. I think hypothetically it could be a great move. Mind you I said this for a couple transfer windows about Lingard and always got mocked and I doubt many people would turn their noses up if he'd come to us instead of Barkley now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

😀 sorry to have quoted your original post Dave but it just feels that sometimes even our own are just trying to be negative and argumentative for no real reason.

I'm anti everything not Villa so it just grinds me sometimes that people  ant see where are and where we are going, no big deal.

I’m pretty much the same and could get into an argument ten times a day on here if I didn’t manage to keep my mouth shut most of the time. 

I wasn’t suggesting any outrage coming from me Phil, far from it. Just that some of the sensitive souls don’t always like being called out. A wiser man than me once said, “Some people’s idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage.”

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m pretty much the same and could get into an argument ten times a day on here if I didn’t manage to keep my mouth shut most of the time. 

I wasn’t suggesting any outrage coming from me Phil, far from it. Just that some of the sensitive souls don’t always like being called out. A wiser man than me once said, “Some people’s idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage.”

Definitely knew exactly what you meant pal.

Wise words indeed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Question re: Alvarez. Some seem to have positioned him as a cheaper alternative to ESR, but from my (albeit limited) knowledge of him, he's mostly an AMR. 

How do people see us shaping up if we sign him instead of a true AMC?

Well I think we'd still be in for another attacker even if we did sign him but either him or Buendia on the left, Jack through the middle and the other on the right. Or Jack on the left and either Alvarez or Buendia through the centre the other on the right. 

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Definitely knew exactly what you meant pal.

Wise words indeed.

First opined by a portly gentleman who smoked cigars, drank prodigious amounts of Brandy and liked an afternoon nap. 

If we’re not going to see any new signings in the immediate next few hours, can we at least open the Rashica thread. It’s still over 5 hours until kickoff and I’m driving Mrs DaveAV1 mad. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I wasn’t specifically talking about Philips. I think he’s a good player but then and now unlikely to move anywhere unless the Leeds project comes of the rails. 

I don’t see us as at the top but I see us to have ambitions to get there and I don’t think NSWE are considering anything but fairly rapid progress. What I don’t like is people who are Villa fans belittling us with phrases like “a club like Villa” as though we have no right to be competing to sign players from almost any club unless they’re in the lower reaches of the PL or below. 

If you’re, “sick of people like me”,  who perhaps have seen the ambitions and ability of our new owners and dare to dream of a brighter future then grab your sick bag and buckle up for the ride.  Lots of things make me sick but optimistic Villa fans aren’t on of them. 

But the person you quoted was talking specifically about Phillips.

So when he said "Phillips probably made the right decision. Leeds are doing well and he's their Grealish, he's not going to give that up to move to a club like Villa" and you went wading into the conversation and implied he was a bad fan belittling the club, you actually agreed with what he's saying?

53 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

First opined by a portly gentleman who smoked cigars, drank prodigious amounts of Brandy and liked an afternoon nap. 

You forgot his penchant for a spot of racism and eugenics.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

But the person you quoted was talking specifically about Phillips.

So when he said "Phillips probably made the right decision. Leeds are doing well and he's their Grealish, he's not going to give that up to move to a club like Villa" and you went wading into the conversation and implied he was a bad fan belittling the club, you actually agreed with what he's saying?

Yeah I love  good wade in. You seem to be extraordinarily invested in what other people have said but thanks for your input. I’m delighted to now know what makes you sick. 

By the way, it isn’t always what is said but the way in which it comes across. Online conversations aren’t always the same as face to face, where intonation or a smile can completely change the tone of the verbal intercourse. 

I didn’t say he was a bad fan, I just questioned why our own fans can’t see the huge changes that have taken place over the last three years and how we are no longer the shambolic mess that we were prior to the arrival of NSWE. The tone to me seemed derogatory, perhaps it wasn’t. 

9 minutes ago, est1874 said:

You forgot his penchant for a spot of racism and eugenics.

You forgot the times he lived in but applied 2021 morals to your judgment regardless. I find it rather strange that you should mention eugenics, considering the views of the other side at the time. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

You forgot the times he lived in but applied 2021 morals to your judgment regardless. I find it rather strange that you should mention eugenics, considering the views of the other side at the time. 

You can excuse a great manner of evils by blaming them on the times that someone lived in. I don't believe anything excuses some of the things he said and subscribed to, but work away, stiff upper lip and all that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I certainly don't hate the idea of Alli. It is risky as it's big money and no guarantees he'll recover his form.

But if he could, well he was an elite CAM -  arguably on his way to world class. Seems a while ago now though.

And if he didn't find his form, Chukwumeka will be a superstar at the position soon anyway.

Well if he was on his way he'd be a superstar now. I personally think he always looked better as an attacking 8, than a proper 10. 

Apparently he doesn't train hard enough, so if true he will never achieve his full potential.

I never felt he'd be a top number 10. However I did feel he could become a top goal scoring box to box like Lampard. Dele Ali simply doesn't have the technique and touch to be a top number 10. 

I if doesn't matter if Dele Ali came to Villa and flopped, because we have Chukwuemeka, then why sign him in the first place?

Dele Ali is on over 100k per week, and would cost at least 40 million. Levy will wring out as much money as he can get.  

Not keen. If the deal was cheap and we got a hungry Dele Ali and played him as one of two 8's with Mcginn that would be quite tasty however.

50 minutes ago, est1874 said:

You can excuse a great manner of evils by blaming them on the times that someone lived in. I don't believe anything excuses some of the things he said and subscribed to, but work away, stiff upper lip and all that.

The alternative at the time wasn’t exactly desirable. I’m happy to concede his views would be thought of as somewhat old fashioned. But it’s easy to form opinions in hindsight. I don’t seek to excuse or condemn I just try to understand. 

I’ll borrow some other words from another wise man, which try to demonstrate the wisdom gained by the passing of time. 
“If a man thinks the same at 50 as he did at 30, he’s just wasted 20 years.”

21 hours ago, thabucks said:

We’ve not been linked to Baumgartner and just been reading his aim is to stay at hoffenheim. Was impressed by hinat the Euros. Another player I like the look of is Jesper Lindstrom from Brondby - 21 YO ACM with 11 goals and 11 assists last season for them. 

• Thanks 2