Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Because we are not capable of playing any other system or formation that doesn't involve just one single striker up front?????

The lack of faith in Deano is staggering

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I don’t agree with this….40m for a proven PL striker is market value plus he’s only 23.  Cheaper will either be from lower league or foreign league and a complete risk.  Smith has said he wants proven PL players, Tammy fits that for the right price.  I think he’s the right price, we know he fits this club and proven.

You don’t agree which is fine, I hope the rumour is true and Tammy comes back.

Tammy only makes sense right now though if he comes within budget with all our other top targets and even then though if Wes is considered fit enough, they won't pull the plug just yet and we probably let Chelsea sweat till January and reevaluate. 

But we need this sort of quality throughout the squad if we are serious about trying for top 4/6.

I still in the Tammy in camp.

• Like 1

Must be looking at Kalajdzic surely. Probably gettable for 20-25m and very good cameo v Italy just now.

Sort who'd probably be o.k with being back up and plan B option while he gets wage increase and then hopefully can grow into a starter for final few months of the season as likes of Konsa did this time last year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's why the west ham link is the most realistic 

He'd have a very good chance of being 1st choice and they have europe 

So make West Ham stronger.  Great plan there mate!

2 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Because in the past he hasn't had the players and quality to do so. Does any modern manager really only ever play one formation for an entire season?

At no point has Smith stated he won't play 442

Barely any team in PL plays 442 anymore. 442 doesn't work for the overloads Smith wants

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

You mean like he has done at Chelsea the past two seasons? He only played 90min approx 8 times in the PL last season, he would get more than that at Villa.

You can throw comments out to suit a narrative, but he would get more football at Villa than he did last season at Chelsea.

He wants more than we can guarantee him. This lad feels ready to be the first choice. We can’t simply offer this to him. unless Ollie falls off a cliff with his form. Which I don’t believe is going to happen 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

There’s nothing I’d like more than for us to sign ESR and see Grealish sign a new contract. A real f*** you to the big boys. Not only will you not take our players, we’ll prize your best assets from you because we’re f****** Aston Villa. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, nick76 said:

So make West Ham stronger.  Great plan there mate!

We aren't going to sign a £40m striker just so that West ham can't 

Like I said before for where we are right now and where he is right now I just don't think Tammy fits, money wise, role wise, it doesn't work for us 

I threw in Louie Barry too which I don't think anyone else has mentioned, we sign Tammy and wheres that leave him? Again doesn't work for us 

• Like 4

Can’t see or want a TA move to Villa, Ollie starts ahead everytime, my bet would be… Nuno joins spuds….kane leaves spuds…… nuno was heavily linked with TA when at the dingles until JT apparently talked him round …. TA joins spuds job done 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Barely any team in PL plays 442 anymore. 442 doesn't work for the overloads Smith wants

As I said already you don't need to play 442 to play two strikers.

I rate Tammy highly he was superb for us, he knows the club and the players and would fit in easily and hit the ground running. But again a striker is probably bottom of the list of players we need although I am worried a season with Wes and Davies as the only back ups would be high risk.

Anyway it's the Daily Mirror generating some click bait, I don't think we are actually looking at Tammy. I think we have other priorities.

Just now, CarryOnVilla said:

He wants more than we can guarantee him. This lad feels ready to be the first choice. We can’t simply offer this to him. unless falls off a cliff with his form. Which I don’t believe is going to happen 

The problem is both you and I don’t know that for certain.

Personally do I think he suits Villa, No, not now, that ship has passed. But there’s no guarantees Watkins will take a step forward in his second season in the PL also. Watkins is far from the finished article, he needs competition to push him and we need a player on the bench who can change things up front when Watkins isn’t getting the goals. If we are serious about the Top 6 then it is needed.

At the same point Smith got the best out of Abraham and maybe he stills sees the potential is there, so I won’t write the scenario off completely.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

We aren't going to sign a £40m striker just so that West ham can't

Yeah I know but I think (you don’t) that we need him as much as West Ham and us having him also has the benefit of denying them having him.  A double benefit, main benefit that we need him.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Like I said before for where we are right now and where he is right now I just don't think Tammy fits, money wise, role wise, it doesn't work for us 

I completely disagree with this

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I threw in Louie Barry too which I don't think anyone else has mentioned, we sign Tammy and wheres that leave him? Again doesn't work for us 

For me, at best Barry gets some sub appearances next season but I think he should go out on loan for a season to get that experience.  I think it helps young players and get used to the rigours of the adult professional game every week because it’s a step up and he’ll get regular games.  He’ll be brilliant and then ready for us.  Getting a few minutes here and there at Villa first team is good but not as good a regular Championship football.

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

which undermines your argument as this isn't about Watkins it's about signing Abraham. If Dean genuinely wants Tammy then i would have 100% faith he would know how to utilise him without diminishing the role Watkins plays or his career with us.

I think most of the top 10 have more than one world class striker on the books and wouldn't sh*t the bed at the thought of signing one.

There isn't one team in the Premier league with more one world class striker. There is Kane at Spurs, past his best Cavani at Man U, Salah at Liverpool (I see Mane more as a winger), and that's it now Aguero has left citeh. 

Tammy certainly isn't world class. Just in case you haven't read my earlier posts I stated the Tammy would be leaving for first team football, not to play back up. He could do that on 80k per week at Chelsea. 

If you don't have a world class striker the aim has to be to find one if you want to be the best.

1 minute ago, QldVilla said:

The problem is both you and I don’t know that for certain.

Personally do I think he suits Villa, No, not now, that ship has passed. But there’s no guarantees Watkins will take a step forward in his second season in the PL also. Watkins is far from the finished article, he needs competition to push him and we need a player on the bench who can change things up front when Watkins isn’t getting the goals. If we are serious about the Top 6 then it is needed.

At the same point Smith got the best out of Abraham and maybe he stills sees the potential is there, so I won’t write the scenario off completely.

My point is, he wouldn’t want to come to villa. It’s pretty clear He wants guaranteed regular first team football. We can’t offer this. 

nice lad and a great stint with us, but the situation has changed. And my nostalgic memories can’t change it back. 

4 minutes ago, rayk said:

And you really think that’s a reason?

Well, kinda, yes. Football have moved on. Which is pretty evident by how many little teams play a 4-4-2 which essentially means giving up on players playing between the lines defensively and offensively. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

There isn't one team in the Premier league with more one world class striker. There is Kane at Spurs, past his best Cavani at Man U, Salah at Liverpool (I see Mane more as a winger), and that's it now Aguero has left citeh. 

Tammy certainly isn't world class. Just in case you haven't read my earlier posts I stated the Tammy would be leaving for first team football, not to play back up. He could do that on 80k per week at Chelsea. 

If you don't have a world class striker the aim has to be to find one if you want to be the best.

I've read your patronising messages I just don't agree with them.

Son and Kane, Rashford and Cavani, Salah and Jota, Richarlison and Calvert Lewin. I could go on, most teams have more than one striker, even if you try and rebrand them as wingers or wide forwards which I'm sure you will.

Saying Tammy would only be leaving for first team football again is your opinion, I know you are determined to continue to present your thoughts as facts, but they aren't. Just as mine aren't.

People saying what role Tammy would play and what tactics we would play if he came is also speculation unless any of us know what is going through Dean's mind and plans next season.

Edited by VillanousOne

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I know but I think (you don’t) that we need him as much as West Ham and us having him also has the benefit of denying them having him.  A double benefit, main benefit that we need him.

I completely disagree with this

For me, at best Barry gets some sub appearances next season but I think he should go out on loan for a season to get that experience.  I think it helps young players and get used to the rigours of the adult professional game every week because it’s a step up and he’ll get regular games.  He’ll be brilliant and then ready for us.  Getting a few minutes here and there at Villa first team is good but not as good a regular Championship football.

I get that you disagree but I'm not sure why other than that you really like Tammy and want us to sign him 

You can say if we're 6th or 8th we need a second striker like Tammy, I agree... But we're not 6th or 8th

If we play 4-5-1, which we have done pretty much exclusively under Smith then Tammy doesn't start for us vs Watford, Watkins does, why would Tammy join of that's the case? We can't offer him first choice 

We have a finite budget this summer of say £100-150m, look at our team and what it needs, £35m of it has already gone, if we now spend £40m on a second striker that eats in to our remaining budget, from which we need a LB, a CB and by the sounds of it a number 10 (furthering the idea that we will still play 4-5-1) buying Tammy restricts us elsewhere, we need a £40m midfielder more than we need a £40m striker

And I agree we can send Barry out on loan next season... Tammy will be a 4 or 5 year contract... Watkins is going nowhere, when Barry hits 21 he'll be 3rd choice? I don't see it personally, I think we will see him as more, he's the long term future and we'll go all in on him, buying Tammy puts that in the bin 

The move doesn't make sense 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2