Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So make West Ham stronger.  Great plan there mate!

Not so sure about that, Antonio is a real handful, quick, powerful, decent touch, hard worker, great in the air, solid finisher. Problem is he is injured half the time. Tammy would be guaranteed games because of Antonio's fitness issues, but Antonio is every bit as good as Tammy.

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

My point is, he wouldn’t want to come to villa. It’s pretty clear He wants guaranteed regular first team football. We can’t offer this. 

nice lad and a great stint with us, but the situation has changed. And my nostalgic memories can’t change it back. 

I don’t believe he can demand anything from any team in the PL, especially in the Top half and I don’t read him with that type of personality. He will have something to prove, if Chelsea move him on and the challenge of the best player plays will be enough incentive.

We also picked Arsenal’s pocket with Buendia, so won’t completely rule it out.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I don’t believe he can demand anything from any team in the PL, especially in the Top half and I don’t read him with that type of personality. He will have something to prove, if Chelsea move him on and the challenge of the best player plays will be enough incentive.

We also picked Arsenal’s pocket with Buendia, so won’t completely rule it out.

He may not be able to demand it from any top half club. but it wouldn’t mean he going to swap Chelsea’s bench for lower teams bench just like that. 

the boy is frustrated at Chelsea. he’s so out of favour he’s not even getting picked for England. 

pastures new beacons for him. And I don’t think it’s fighting for a spot.

West Ham, Palace, kaneless Spurs, or a Haarlandless Dortmund could be better options  for him to go for 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

He may not be able to demand it from any top half club. but it wouldn’t mean he going to swap Chelsea’s bench for lower teams bench just like that. 

the boy is frustrated at Chelsea he’s so out of favour he’s not even getting picked for England. 

pastures new beacons for him. And I don’t think it’s fighting for a spot.

West Ham, Palace, kaneless Spurs, or a Haarlandless Dortmund could be better options  for him to go for 

You may be right.

But ‘IF’ the club is interested, you can’t completely rule out the project, Jack, Buendia etc turning his head. He spent a season at the club, it’s like a second home.

21 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I've read your patronising messages I just don't agree with them.

Son and Kane, Rashford and Cavani, Salah and Jota, Richarlison and Calvert Lewin. I could go on, most teams have more than one striker, even if you try and rebrand them as wingers or wide forwards which I'm sure you will.

Saying Tammy would be leaving for first team football again is your opinion, I know you are determined to continue to present your thoughts as facts, but they aren't. Just as mine aren't.

Your words were world class striker. Rashford isn't one yet at least and he plays left wing. Jota isn't and is more of a winger. Son is more of a winger, but I'll got with that, DCL good striker (not world class), Richarlison is also more of a winger. certainly isn't world class. Certainly none of those top 6 teams have two world class centre forwards. For me the only truly world class STRIKER in the league is Kane. Son, Salah and Mane are also World class but they all play off the wing not down the middle. For me Kane is world class only because he is such a good finisher (left foot, right foot, head, inside the box, outside the box doesn't matter), however I wouldn't sign him over the likes of Mbappe, Ronaldo, or even Haaland.

Tammy isn't as good as any of the players you mentioned and Ollie is up there with DCL, Richarlison and Jota. 

Ollie for me is a centre forward, he is just so much better played through the middle as the furthest man forward. Tammy can only play through the centre as the furthest man forward, you can't get the best out of them if they're on the pitch at the same time. And neither man will hang around to be the others back up.

You can't just buy load of quality players without a clear and concise plan of how to use them and ensure they are happy and not a strain on the team spirit.

If Tammy is happy playing second fiddle, and costs under 25 million then cool get him in. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

Edited by Philosopher
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

Your words were world class striker. Rashford isn't one yet at least and he plays left wing. Jota isn't and is more of a winger. Son is more of a winger, but I'll got with that, DCL and Richarlison is also more of a winger. certainly aren't world class. Certainly none of those top 6 teams have two world class centre forwards. For me the only truly world class STRIKER in the league is Kane. Son, Salah and Mane are also World class but they all play off the wing not down the middle. For me Kane is world class only because he is such a good finisher (left foot, right foot, head, inside the box, outside the box doesn't matter), however I wouldn't sign him over the likes of Mbappe, Ronaldo, or even Haaland.

Tammy isn't as good any of the players you mentioned and Ollie is up there with DCL, Richarlison and Jota. 

Ollie for me is a centre forward, he is just so much better played through the middle as the furthest man forward. Tammy can only play through the centre as the furthest man forward, you can't get the best out of them if they're on the pitch at the same time. And neither man will hang around to be the others back up.

You can't just buy load of quality players without a clear and concise plan of how to use them and ensure they are happy and not a strain on the team spirit.

If Tammy is happy playing second fiddle, and costs under 25 million then cool get him in. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

The poster has a very different definition of world class obviously.

By definition you couldn't be world class if there was 50 of you in that bracket in one position.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

You can say if we're 6th or 8th we need a second striker like Tammy, I agree... But we're not 6th or 8th

So we have to wait until we are 6th or 8th to act like it? Isn’t it better and easier to act 6th or 8th to achieve it.  That’s what our owners will be doing.  You should always aim for higher so if you slightly fall short it’s still an achievement.  If you have a squad that about 10th in the league, odds are you are going to end up 10th at the end of the season.

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If we play 4-5-1, which we have done pretty much exclusively under Smith then Tammy doesn't start for us vs Watford, Watkins does, why would Tammy join of that's the case? We can't offer him first choice 

Yeah but he’s only ever had one fit top striker at any point in his tenure at Villa.  Last close season we were close to signing Ollie and Wilson, not one or the other…but both.  

Also if we want 6th place we need to be adaptable if it’s not working tactically.

We can offer first choice in that he fights with Ollie for first choice of the shirt if we only play one upfront.  This will benefit both players.  Plus form, tactics, and injuries mean both will get games.  We have to stop thinking just about 11 players we need a squad

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We have a finite budget this summer of say £100-150m, look at our team and what it needs, £35m of it has already gone, if we now spend £40m on a second striker that eats in to our remaining budget, from which we need a LB, a CB and by the sounds of it a number 10 (furthering the idea that we will still play 4-5-1) buying Tammy restricts us elsewhere, we need a £40m midfielder more than we need a £40m striker

How do you know our budget? I tend to agree though value wise.  35m for Buendia, 40m Tammy…that still leaves 35-85m…

Young is our equivalent of LB cover.  

CB? I know we need one but it seems you are willing to spend a lot on a back up CB when we have Mings and Konsa starters and already Hause back up but you won’t spend on a striker? Strange

So our other big purchases are a CAM and a DCM with the money above, which we have money for.

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And I agree we can send Barry out on loan next season... Tammy will be a 4 or 5 year contract... Watkins is going nowhere, when Barry hits 21 he'll be 3rd choice? I don't see it personally, I think we will see him as more, he's the long term future and we'll go all in on him, buying Tammy puts that in the bin 

You can’t bank on Barry being a success in two years time.  He goes out on loan and if he comes back a superstar then you deal with that then.  Tammys 23 so has plenty of value in a couple of years time and Ollies on 25 so same for him.

We’ve had many kids down the years that have looked great but then aren’t able to step up to a top six level.  I think Barry will but you don’t put all your eggs into a basket unknown and potential two/three years away.  Buying young Watkins as we did and Tammy at 23 keeps their value.  We make that decision in a couple of years time and we’ll be very lucky to have very saleable assets.  You never know we may be a top four team then and that might mean we need a better striker.  Who knows what the world be in a couple of years time.  We have to get there first and thus deal with what we have today and not what we could have tomorrow.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Becoming truer than ever!!

https://content.invisioncic.com/Mvillatalk/monthly_2021_06/image.png.8594e77c21faffc7f2ecf91467912701.png

Flatten the curve.

Please maintain social media distancing.

14 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I swear that transfer has lasted longer than my questionable guilt tug last night over Hancock and his busy hands video 

No such thing as a guilt tug, its just an honest tug. You tug away Pissflaps, no shame 'n' all. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

The fact Watkins got so few injuries and suspensions last season is a fluke that might not be repeated. Much as I hope Wes will be able to deputise if needed, I think he may need a loan to get his match sharpness back... depending on how the preseason goes. Davies needs a loan or a move away.

The thing that impressed me most about Tammy is even when we were playing poorly he could conjure a goal out of almost nothing.

Watkins has missed zero time through injury in his career. So evidently not a fluke. 

3 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

which undermines your argument as this isn't about Watkins it's about signing Abraham. If Dean genuinely wants Tammy then i would have 100% faith he would know how to utilise him without diminishing the role Watkins plays or his career with us.

I think most of the top 10 have more than one world class striker on the books and wouldn't sh*t the bed at the thought of signing one.

Literally name any team with 2 Strikers on par with Watkins in the prem this Season. Only team I can think of is Leicester.