Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

17 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Literally name any team with 2 Strikers on par with Watkins in the prem this Season. Only team I can think of is Leicester. 

You are going to argue a number of them because of position or stats that I can name so I’ll just start with one pair

Kane and Son

Edited by nick76

It’s not that Smith can’t or never would use a 2 up front system, it’s more that he has never done so in what must be 100 games as Villa manager, except in a “break glass in case of emergency” situation, nor so far as I know did he in god knows how many games at Brentford.

The idea that he would rip up the system which has bought him and us this far to incorporate Tammy Abraham is utterly fanciful. And anyone arguing for it knows it. If it happened, I’d wonder what the hell he’s playing at tbh. 

That doesn’t mean we don’t need another forward, but I’d happily bet quite a bit of money on us starting the season with some variation of 3 forwards, with Watkins through the middle.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You are going to argue a number of them because of position that I can name so I’ll just start with one pair

Kane and Son

Saying Son is a striker is like saying Grealish is a striker. Their heat maps last season are near identical majority left but Grealish far more touches left final third. 

Spurs mostly lined up 4231 with Son ALM in the 3.

Just because he played striker in the 3-2 win against us because Kane was injured makes Son no more a striker than El Ghazi is because he played a few games when Wesley got injured

EDIT: Further investigation shows Son played in a front 2 last season in 4 games(x3 Kane x1 Vinicius) for 1 goal 0 assists. They lost 2 drew 2.

Son played 28 games in Grealish position on left in 4231 for 15 goals 10 assists

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

At present if we are lucky with injuries we can afford to have a relatively light squad. If in the future we qualify for Europe you would need more players. Essentially buying Tammy this season may be a year too early unless we can have long runs in both cups.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You are going to argue a number of them because of position or stats that I can name so I’ll just start with one pair

Kane and Son

Son is a winger. So doesn't work. That's like saying Grealish and Watkins. Not the argument you want. Because what you are saying with son is a winger who can also play upfront rather than a 40 mil backup who one isn't as good as Watkins and 2 will play like 700 minutes a season.

Edit: Also have you noticed how me, you and @Kiwivillanseem to be constantly in debates with each of us switching sides. So this time Kiwivillan is on my side. In regards to Jack at CAM vs LW he's on your side. Seems to happen a lot with any non cut and dry decision. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 1

The top teams do have more than one top quality forward, it's just that they often play as wide forwards, Salah, Mane, Jota, Rashford, Martial, Werner, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Son, Werner all those are what you'd call wide forwards, we don't really have an equivalent type of player in our team, our 'wingers' like Grealish, Buendia and Traore are more No.10 types, you wouldn't play any of them upfront on their own for example,  and El Ghazi is more a traditional winger...

If we do sign another striker it's probably something we should look at, that is a striker that is going to be as equally comfortable playing as a wide forward or through the middle.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

The idea of a strike partnership is so outdated I can't believe we're discussing it. You need dynamic players in a front three. Tammy is not that guy. Watkins can drift right but can't play on the right anywhere near as effectively.

Firmino, Salah, Mane (Origi doesn't get a look in). Kane, Son, Bale. Jesus, Sterling, Mahrez. 

Chelsea probably have the best set of competing strikers and are looking to sell theirs. Leicester have waited 4 years for Iheanacho to come good. United maybe have the best competition up front but even their backups all play either left or righteither side of Cavani.

Tammy and Watkins could not play together. Tammy won't sit on Chelseas bench he certainly won't sit on ours.

Uhh...  Inter just won Serie A with a 2 man strike partnership of Lukaku & Martinez.  Conte plays a 3-5-2.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rayk said:

Nick76, genuinely no issue at all, I completely agree with you about Tammy. You’ll have seen that from my posts.

How would you play both Tammy and Ollie.

LOL!  When I asked this at this time last year I was accused of lacking ambition!  

5 hours ago, useless said:

The top teams do have more than one top quality forward, it's just that they often play as wide forwards, Salah, Mane, Jota, Rashford, Martial, Werner, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Son, Werner all those are what you'd call wide forwards, we don't really have an equivalent type of player in our team, our 'wingers' like Grealish, Buendia and Traore are more No.10 types, you wouldn't play any of them upfront on their own for example,  and El Ghazi is more a traditional winger...

If we do sign another striker it's probably something we should look at, that is a striker that is going to be as equally comfortable playing as a wide forward or through the middle.

This.

Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Cavani

Abraham, Werner, Giroud, Odoi

I cba looking through the rest of the teams, but I'm pretty confident they have options as forwards. We don't. 

Sell Wesley and buy a wide forward.

So for all our fancy recruiting, data analysis and scouting appointments, our signings have so far been a championship player of the year and an ex player (happy with both by the way) and our links have been to a couple of other prem teams stars and an ex loan player. 

My money is on our next major signing being a complete surprise and not someone who has played for us before in any capacity.

33 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

I love what Tammy did for us in the championship but I would be really underwhelmed if he came back, we have more pressing issues with the squad

We do, but I don't really care what order we sign them in.

I'd argue we need a DM, CAM, Striker and CB.

Whether we sign a striker before the others is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

44 minutes ago, TheFirstMan said:

he's an attacker - play him anywhere across the front and he delivers

Not really. Majority of his goals/assists are from Grealish position on the left in 4231

Edited by Kiwivillan

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This.

Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Cavani

Abraham, Werner, Giroud, Odoi

I cba looking through the rest of the teams, but I'm pretty confident they have options as forwards. We don't. 

Sell Wesley and buy a wide forward.

You can't include some of those Manure players and Odoi and not include Traore and AEG for us. It's disingenuous especially as they had combined 27 goal involvements last season

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

You can't include some of those Manure players and Odoi and not include Traore and AEG for us. It's disingenuous especially as they had combined 27 goal involvements last season

You can, because to me they are more forwards than AEG and Traore are.

You don't give out positions based on goal involvements stats. Otherwise Hourihane would be one and also a few goalkeepers.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara