Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think we can take from that a new central midfielder of some kind is not on the radar at all.

I would take anything you read with a pinch of salt, anything can and will likely happen. We need 2 forwards (because we cant rely on Davis, Trez and Wes) and Watkins needs support, a permanent replacement for Ross Barkley and to be honest until the last few games, we were crying out for a big central midfielder that breaks up play and carries the ball. Plus another keeper, back up CB, back up LB and RB if Freddie is to be sold. Thats sounds busier than Dean is letting on.

2 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

I just really really don’t understand. On one hand you say Davis and Wes have potential but won’t get enough game time so we should loan them out and on the other you say we should bring in a solid backup striker who also isn’t going to get game time to return to form?

What is the plan here? Why can’t Wes and Davis be back up? How are they worse than a cheap back up from a lower league or abroad?

Both of them are young and have potential; but they need consistent game time to progress.

Davis needs a season long run to find the back of the net.

Wesley needs a season long run to get his form back and regain his match sharpness.

The players that would make the biggest difference to our first XI would be another winger/AM and DM who is better defensively than Luiz.

I'd be happy to see Doug as a squad option next year, but Nakamba isn't good enough on the ball to be first choice.

Not sure it'll happen but Luiz hasn't impressed me this year. In Luiz, McGinn and Sanson we have a lot of 'square peg' DMs - we need a round one to go alongside John as it's a key position - or we play McGinn at 10 and with a proper DM alongside Doug/Sanson.

Other than that it's just squad options really - at LB certainly, maybe striker, and maybe RB/CB/GK depending what happens to Guilbert/Engels/Heaton. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I think that striker is the hardest of our positioms to fill. It is very easy to say buy Tammy and put Ollie either left or right but thats not how Deano wants to play Ollie. And he has earned the right to be the first striker on the team sheet. Which makes Tammy a non starter. 

So you have to then look at a player who can play right amd left and then play up front if Ollie cannot play.

Ollie is so naturally fit. No hamstrings or calf pulls. No knee injuries . And it seems he has been like that for the last 5 years. He is a 40 game a season 90 mins per game player. So any top player we identify needs to be persuaded to join despite the possibility of not getting many minutes

As i said Its a hard job this summer in this position and Lange is going to have to earn his money for sure

Why couldn't Ollie play in a 10 role?  After all he's almost closer to that than a traditional number 9 already.  He can still do all the running and chasing that he does now but he'd have a mate alongside him to do some of the work and / or be in the box / alongside Ollie when he gets the ball.  Tammy, Ollie and Jack with an upgrade on Traore (with Traore coming on to do cameos) would be tearing teams to pieces.  They'd do more defensively as well so we'd not be inviting more pressure on to our CMs.  Also with Tammy playing as a more traditional 9 - Ollie and Jack would pretty much have a licence to roam / switch as they pleased.  Would be an absolute nightmare for opposition defenders to figure out who to follow.  Gives us options too to switch between a 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, etc during games as well depending on how Plan A is working.  I think that would really suit Ollie arriving late and finding space to tuck away a few headers from crosses whilst the opposition CDs are focussing on Tammy.

17 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Great let's go planning entirely around the fact watkins might might get injured instead of actually strengthening key areas of need. 2 of our 3 centre backs are very injury prone. (not including engels he's gone). We have 3 fit wingers and one of them we probably want to play CAM. Our defensive midfield is incredibly weak with McGinn and Luiz. Sanson may help by being an upgrade on mcginn but I would like to see an improvement in that area.

Instead we are talking about signing a ST as backup to watkins when we already have wesley (although probably not 100%) and traore who can play there. Bring in another winger who can play upfront and the job is done. Don't spunk a large portion of our budget on one backup. 

You do realise that no-one is saying that these things are mutually exclusive.  If we have £120-£150m to spend this summer (which seems to be likely) before player sales then spending £30-40m on a striker doesn't stop us buying a very good CDM, CM and winger as well.  I'd far rather sign a striker who can play wide than a winger who might be able to play up front.  We need someone who can compete physically with centre halves and most wingers can't.

1 hour ago, Condimentalist said:

The players that would make the biggest difference to our first XI would be another winger/AM and DM who is better defensively than Luiz.

I'd be happy to see Doug as a squad option next year, but Nakamba isn't good enough on the ball to be first choice.

Not sure it'll happen but Luiz hasn't impressed me this year. In Luiz, McGinn and Sanson we have a lot of 'square peg' DMs - we need a round one to go alongside John as it's a key position - or we play McGinn at 10 and with a proper DM alongside Doug/Sanson.

Other than that it's just squad options really - at LB certainly, maybe striker, and maybe RB/CB/GK depending what happens to Guilbert/Engels/Heaton. 

Personally I think Luiz playing alongside a quality midfielder will improve a lot more than McGinn playing alongside a quality midfielder.  I think Luiz's ceiling is a lot higher than McGinn's.  McGinn is a great option to bring on for the last 20-30 minutes and more than capable of filling in during suspensions, injuries, loss of form.  But if we are serious about improving on this season then he can't be starting 30+ games a season.

1 minute ago, allani said:

Personally I think Luiz playing alongside a quality midfielder will improve a lot more than McGinn playing alongside a quality midfielder.  I think Luiz's ceiling is a lot higher than McGinn's.  McGinn is a great option to bring on for the last 20-30 minutes and more than capable of filling in during suspensions, injuries, loss of form.  But if we are serious about improving on this season then he can't be starting 30+ games a season.

McGinn is currently a much more effective player than Doug IMO. If he can improve and replace him great but that's a challenge not the starting point. 

Just now, Condimentalist said:

McGinn is currently a much more effective player than Doug IMO. If he can improve and replace him great but that's a challenge not the starting point. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one I am afraid. 🙂

4 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

I guess we will all just have to compromise and sign Daichi Kamada from Frankfurt.

Plays CAM and comes in off the left. Also plays ST and is has a similar height/work ethic to Ollie, although kinda plays more like Jack.

Enjoy:

Holy Crap This guys stats are insane this season
image.png.5bfcde614e74c9f3371b735b60cfcc81.png

• Like 2

If we have a transfer window as good as last summer I'll be ecstatic.

Probably our best window that I can remember in terms of quality and quantity (more chance of a miss).

Martinez was a 10/10 signing.

Watkins 9/10 just because of the higher fee but we couldn't replace him now 

Cash and Traore are probably 8s and both are probably worth way more than we paid, especially Cash.

Barkley was a bit of a miss but we are clear of him now hopefully and he was worth the risk.

I'm really excited and fully trust the powers in charge to do a brilliant job again.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

If we have a transfer window as good as last summer I'll be ecstatic.

Probably our best window that I can remember in terms of quality and quantity (more chance of a miss).

Martinez was a 10/10 signing.

Watkins 9/10 just because of the higher fee but we couldn't replace him now 

Cash and Traore are probably 8s and both are probably worth way more than we paid, especially Cash.

Barkley was a bit of a miss but we are clear of him now hopefully and he was worth the risk.

I'm really excited and fully trust the powers in charge to do a brilliant job again.

9/10 window last season

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I keep thinking that Daryl Dike would be one of our targets if we are after a striker (backup). 

I'd love Dike, but I can't see him going cheap. According to reports (and put as much faith in those as you like), Orlando has already turned down £10+ million offers for him from "Top 6 clubs", I think was how the article framed it, and his buyout for Barnsley was reportedly in the £20 million range.

Josh Sargent or Matthew Hoppe, on the other hand, I can see being great pickups from Werder Bremen and Schalke, respectively, as they're both among the most saleable players on relegated teams in dire financial straits. Both are young, promising, and learning the game and would have both the time and opportunity to grow into a role under Ollie. They'd also give us some tactical flexibility as they both play well with a strike partner.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

I'd love Dike, but I can't see him going cheap. According to reports (and put as much faith in those as you like), Orlando has already turned down £10+ million offers for him from "Top 6 clubs", I think was how the article framed it, and his buyout for Barnsley was reportedly in the £20 million range.

Josh Sargent or Matthew Hoppe, on the other hand, I can see being great pickups from Werder Bremen and Schalke, respectively, as they're both among the most saleable players on relegated teams in dire financial straits. Both are young, promising, and learning the game and would have both the time and opportunity to grow into a role under Ollie. They'd also give us some tactical flexibility as they both play well with a strike partner.

Dike was really poor in the playoffs. Just a big battering ram of a player it looked like to me. 

5 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

Yep 100%. I kept on mentioning Dike because I completely forgot both Bremen & Schalke went down and wasn’t focused on Germany. They would all be pretty good buys I think  and WP’s shouldn’t be a problem 

• Like 1