Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Isn't that one of the reasons why we are being linked to wingers, so we will have adequate back-up for Grealish. 

Plus the debate whether we need another LB or CB so we have good cover for Cash & Mings.

No we are talking about wingers to replace Traore primarily with a high quality player rather than just a good player which Traore is.

we have to buy a left back as we only have one.

When people talk about a new centre back it is usually half a dozen positions down the priority list and it is to replace Engels the right footed centre back

4 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Nobody is saying we should buy a striker and only a striker. Obviously we need other areas addressing (see my post on a previous page).

We can't become predictable. If we only have Watkins as an out and out striker, teams will know what they're coming up against when they play us. We need another option to provide a plan B. Why not play 2 up front one game?

Watkins isn't our only out and out striker though we have wesley. But if that's not enough we can play traore upfront with him or someone else we sign.

Spending money on a striker when we have far more pressing depth concerns is ridiculous without even talking about upgrading the first 11.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Ollie will play regardless of form. As his defensive work justifies it. And he is the least likely player to get injured in the team. So I'd rather invest in backups for other areas of the team and strengthen the first 11.

A striker is not a priority, if there is a good one available for a robbery then we will do it but most likely we will just sign another winger who can play upfront if needed.

It is ridiculous to say that we should be investing much if any money into a backup striker when we have players who can play there. But have no one who can cover in other key areas of the pitch. 

We’ll have to agree to disagree then

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Watkins isn't our only out and out striker though we have wesley. But if that's not enough we can play traore upfront with him or someone else we sign.

Spending money on a striker when we have far more pressing depth concerns is ridiculous without even talking about upgrading the first 11.

Wesley is going to struggle to play at this level again, trust me. Davis will leave on loan or permanently. Traore is not a striker in any way, shape or form.

We need another option.

1 x LB

1 x DCM

2 x wide players

1 x striker.

That's not that hard to imagine happening really. Not sure why you're so against trying to get another striker in.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Indigo said:

Is it? I've seen people say that our back up strikers aren't of the required standard to push Watkins/be a useful option were he to be out for a team that has ambitions of kicking on further in the league and Traore is being presented as a solution to that in response.

I don't necessarily want us to sign a striker, certainly not more than I do a midfielder, winger etc, but I understand the logic in signing one and it tallies up with what Smith has said, the likes have Percy have reported and so forth.

No Traore will not be our ST unless all of the others have significant issues. Most on here are just saying that we don’t require one because we still have Traore as a 4th-5th option.

I am happy to be proven wrong but I haven’t seen anything from Smith that would suggest a new ST. We do know though he’s against stockpiling players and arguably the ST position is our most stockpiled IMO

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Wesley is going to struggle to play at this level again, trust me. Davis will leave on loan or permanently. Traore is not a striker in any way, shape or form.

We need another option.

1 x LB

1 x DCM

2 x wide players

1 x striker.

That's not that hard to imagine happening really. Not sure why you're so against trying to get another striker in.

So in short you want a bunch of 20 million pound players.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wilko154 said:

On the striker subject, I think it's clear to see that we need to sort out the backup striker role over the Summer.

Keinan Davis has the potential to be a very good striker, unfortunately he just hasn't had the game time to prove it despite some goods cameos this season. Next season he needs a loan to a Championship or PL side; currently there's little value in him and so a loan would both increase his value and allow him to prove himself in front of goal for a shot at first team football at Villa.

Wesley I think also needs a move. Unfortunately he's not going to get the game time at Villa that will allow himself to build himself up to full fitness and regain his form. A loan move would be good for him this summer; however if he doesn't perform we lose a lot of value on him. If a team comes in with a bid, it may be in our interest to sell him and cover our losses.

Louie Barry just isn't ready for PL football yet. There's been a lot of talk that he can be our backup striker next season, but he's not physically ready for that yet. However I think he will slowly be introduced to the first team squad by the end of next season in the same way Chukwuemeka has this season.

The need for a new £30-40 million striker just isn't there unless Smith has visions of playing two up front. If we can pick up a solid backup striker for low value; a calculated risk from the lower leagues or abroad then I think it would be the best way to go. This is what Lange has been brought in for and it could well be his most important job for next season where we don't look to go out and splash the cash on a well known player.

I just really really don’t understand. On one hand you say Davis and Wes have potential but won’t get enough game time so we should loan them out and on the other you say we should bring in a solid backup striker who also isn’t going to get game time to return to form?

What is the plan here? Why can’t Wes and Davis be back up? How are they worse than a cheap back up from a lower league or abroad?

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

What budget you you expect 

No idea but it will be quite high, I'd imagine. We've had the luxury of knowing we'd be a PL team next season since before Christmas this year. The recruitment team will have known the budget since then so I'd guess deals have already been lined up.

Just now, Okonokos said:

No idea but it will be quite high, I'd imagine. We've had the luxury of knowing we'd be a PL team next season since before Christmas this year. The recruitment team will have known the budget since then so I'd guess deals have already been lined up.

Well you want 5 players we spent 100 this season that’s 20 million each.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Well you want 5 players we spent 100 this season that’s 20 million each.

Not if one was on loan, two cost 10m each and the other two cost 40m each. Who knows what deals we have lined up? Who knows how much we have to spend? Could be more like £150m.

1 minute ago, Okonokos said:

Not if one was on loan, two cost 10m each and the other two cost 40m each. Who knows what deals we have lined up? Who knows how much we have to spend? Could be more like £150m.

Could be but if we are to have conjecture here then we only have NSWE’s history to go on and logic.

6 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we bring in an American. They are starting to get some good youth through, so fits in the model of the club but will also help build a bigger support over there.

It would be nothing like the impact of signing an Asian player. Christian Pulisic could walk around any downtown American city and nobody would recognize him. And that's our marquee player. The commercial benefit of signing an up and coming American player is negligible, IMO.

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we bring in an American. They are starting to get some good youth through, so fits in the model of the club but will also help build a bigger support over there.

World Cup 2026 too

Going to be a lot of marketing opportunities coming up