Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

22 minutes ago, useless said:

"We wanted a British feel about us but that’s not to say we will turn our noses up at good deals abroad, argued Smith. We expect player recruitment to be harder because of Brexit, so young, British talent is what we’re looking for. I believe that can improve us and we believe we can improve those players as well.We can improve them, their value. The fact that they can see a clear pathway for them now with England will help too.”

Birmingham Mail

Why are you bringing up an article/interview from March when what we are referring to is today’s Talksport show when none of what you & others are emphasising was discussed there???

The question and reaction wasn’t to do with whether or not we will be signing or focussing on or solely targeting British or British based players.

It was all to do with what was said in that Talksport show and nothing of the sort was mentioned. No mention of our future activity on there.

The first paragraph could be bolded instead/too… what’s the relevance?

We will look to be completing the right deals for us, home and abroad. Not exclusively in one area.

Even that’s an assumption. Again, only those in the club know what the real strategy is and who the targets are.

23 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

But it seems Purslow, Wes and Nassef have their heads screwed on which is what matters.  **** what everyone else thinks.  That said I'm sure Dean himself would be the first to admit if he gets backed in the summer and doesn't get the results they want, he will probably be out of a job.  It's the nature of the job, he doesn't seem the type of guy who tries to make excuses and whinge, throwing everyone under the bus etc.  I see no reason to doubt he will get the right players in to improve us from what I've seen so far so I'm positive about next season, before even thinking about the youth players we might be adding to the squad.

Agree with all that 👍

I made no reference to talksport, I don't listen to talksport, I only made reference to the fact that Dean Smith has said in his own words that we're going to be looking at young English talent because brexit will maker player recruitment harder.

1 minute ago, useless said:

I made no reference to talksport, I don't listen to talksport, I only made reference to the fact that Dean Smith has said in his own words that we're going to be looking at young English talent because brexit will maker player recruitment harder.

Neither do I.

My response was focussed on the uploaded show/clip and the reactions to and assumptions made from it, it wasn’t brought up or mentioned there.

I wrote: 'When Smith says we're going to be targetting mainly UK based players it's not some sort of conspiracy, he's got no reason to say it if it wasn't true.'

You replied: 'He didn’t say we’re going to be targeting them. He said we did, last summer.'

To which I quite reasonably pointed out that Smith has previously said this: '"We wanted a British feel about us but that’s not to say we will turn our noses up at good deals abroad, argued Smith. We expect player recruitment to be harder because of Brexit, so young, British talent is what we’re looking for.'

So yes Smith has said we're going to be targetting young English players.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I wrote: 'When Smith says we're going to be targetting mainly UK based players it's not some sort of conspiracy, he's got no reason to say it if it wasn't true.'

You replied: 'He didn’t say we’re going to be targeting them. He said we did, last summer.'

To which I quite reasonably pointed out that Smith has previously said this: '"We wanted a British feel about us but that’s not to say we will turn our noses up at good deals abroad, argued Smith. We expect player recruitment to be harder because of Brexit, so young, British talent is what we’re looking for.'

So yes Smith has said we're going to be targetting young English players.

Yes, and I was referring to the Talksport interview, nothing else.

Fine, leave it there, crossed wires and what not.

Certainly not worth arguing over.

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Hang on, where the hell did Dean say we’re only looking at British or Prem based players in there? They were referring to the summer window and our activity back then (Emi, Cash, Ollie, Traore).

They didn’t even discuss the forthcoming window.

What BS!

Yeah I didn't hear him discuss transfers either as was listening out for it.

What he did say was:

We won't settle for similar position next season and he dosen't want to downplay expectations, wants to finish reasonably well in top half. Looks like people on here happy with 11th again next season isn't a mindset shared by the club so that's encouraging.

Injuries disrupted us in second half of the season.

We struggled first 5-6 games after Grealish injury working out what to do, better in last 5-6. Defence remained consistant.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah I didn't hear him discuss transfers either as was listening out for it.

What he did say was:

We won't settle for similar position next season and he dosen't want to downplay expectations, wants to finish reasonably well in top half. Looks like people on here happy with 11th again next season isn't a mindset shared by the club so that's encouraging.

Injuries disrupted us in second half of the season.

We struggled first 5-6 games after Grealish injury working out what to do, better in last 5-6. Defence remained consistant.

Thank you

That's one thing about DS he never shys away from a challenge, tryies to get excuses in early, or play down expectations, last when we looked like we were relegated whilst most managers would be saying that they'd try their hardest whilst it's still mathematically possible, Smith was saying that he was confident that we'd stay up, and by the reasurring tone of his voice you could tell he wasn't just saying it either, but really believed it.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah, if we could finish 6th-8th next season that would be major progress, exceeding that would be massive. Considering how competitive and difficult the league is… there is quite a lot between the positions in that top half…

Yep I find it annoying people keep going on about the top 6 when there is one or two steps between here and there.

when you finish in those places you are one of the best 12 sides in the world ffs

6 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Yep I find it annoying people keep going on about the top 6 when there is one or two steps between here and there.

when you finish in those places you are one of the best 12 sides in the world ffs

Plus if anything finishing top 6 is easy, staying there is even tougher. No chance West Ham are near the top 6 next season without huge investment 

If Werder Bremen are relegated, it is likely they'll be selling their most desirable players to finance a 2. Bundesliga rebuild. Their finances were hit hard by the pandemic and word is they're willing to let Josh Sargent go in addition to Milot Rashica. It seems Sargent is most likely to go to another Bundesliga club like Eintracht Frankfurt, VfB Stuttgart, or Borussia Mönchengladbach, but we could do a lot worse than him as a striking option. He's gotten a lot of practice dropping deep and holding the ball up at Bremen, but he's also shown he can actually score given service.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paulie said:

Arrascaeta would be a phenomenal purchase.  You want to talk about bringing in another creative force to take the pressure off Jack... the guy is loved at Flamengo and is a magician.  Bicycle kicks, megs, incredible ball control, distribution, and finishing.

Can’t we get this guy in as the risky foreign league purchase, and Buendia as the English league proven safe signing for the right? Two South American wizards in for around £60m or less and our chance creation problem evaporates.

These two, Jack and Ollie as a front four with Traore and Wes in the mix (and AEG for those who think we should keep him) would be pretty potent.