Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

No one bidded apparently

I think some enquired but they were more looking at 20m deal and Norwich wanted 30m +.

Were rumours Arsenal were looking at him in January.

There is a limit, 40m + would likely be half of our summer budget unless we sell a few so have to take that into consideration as then we don't have enough to get other players in different areas or at least reasonable quality ones.

42 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think some enquired but they were more looking at 20m deal and Norwich wanted 30m +.

Were rumours Arsenal were looking at him in January.

There is a limit, 40m + would likely be half of our summer budget unless we sell a few so have to take that into consideration as then we don't have enough to get other players in different areas or at least reasonable quality ones.

My understanding is 'the bidding starts at 20m' was what their director said when they were relegated and no one bidded for him. Again my understanding was in January there was talk of Arsenal wanting him for 30m in the media.
I agree he will be a player valued at 40m plus now they have come up.
No idea on the budget first year was 150m second was 100m so who knows if it will continue to go down or if it is as high as the first year.

8 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Every good side has a ball winner and a defensive midfielder sitting in front of the back 4. Ndidi, Bissouma, Phillips, Rice etc.

Whatever your opinion on Luiz is as a player, he absolutely isn’t the commanding defensive midfielder we need in the side. 

I’m sure it will be a priority in the Summer.

I’m so confused by this rhetoric.

Kante and Fernandinho aren’t that big?

Also Phillips is only 3cm bigger than Dougy. 

What exactly are we looking for?

4 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

I’m so confused by this rhetoric.

Kante and Fernandinho aren’t that big?

Also Phillips is only 3cm bigger than Dougy. 

What exactly are we looking for?

Excellent players come in all sizes, having said that typically DCM’s aren’t small players like Kante.

It is further compounded for us by having a relatively short team, we could do with having someone 6 foot or above for corners and free kicks.

12 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Excellent players come in all sizes, having said that typically DCM’s aren’t small players like Kante.

It is further compounded for us by having a relatively short team, we could do with having someone 6 foot or above for corners and free kicks.

I get the theory, but:

168cm:

Kante

175cm:

Douglas Luiz

178cm:

Phillips and Fernandinho

181cm:

Nididi and Bissouma

Obviously there’s bigger DCMs around but those are some of the best in the league and they’re not actually that much taller than Luis.

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

We could just do with someone that can make something of free kicks and corners but can also play the game as well. We have been so much of a let down in those areas that we desperately need someone who can set up players from a free kick position, find players from corners. Then we need players who stop trying to score wonder goals like our players do by aiming for the insides of the bar and posts. I think we had multiple players do that against palace and sent it wide in the end rather than get the ball on target and make the keeper save the ball at least by putting there head or foot through the ball.

Sometimes I don't think were having issues getting to the ball in opposition box but rather than making something of it once they strike the ball. 

Edited by Dave-R

17 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

We could just do with someone that can make something of free kicks and corners but can also play the game as well. We have been so much of a let down in those areas that we desperately need someone who can set up players from a free kick position, find players from corners. Then we need players who stop trying to score wonder goals like our players do by aiming for the insides of the bar and posts. I think we had multiple players do that against palace and sent it wide in the end rather than get the ball on target and make the keeper save the ball at least by putting there head or foot through the ball.

Sometimes I don't think were having issues getting to the ball in opposition box but rather than making something of it once they strike the ball. 

You just described Koopmeiners, big lad takes set pieces and scores goals.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, paul514 said:

You just described Koopmeiners, big lad takes set pieces and scores goals.

What Teun Koopmeiners the Dutch football?

He's 23 isn't he?

This guy Paul, if so sure bring him in, he knows his defensive game.

31 appearances 15 goals and 5 assist from a central midfield, defensive midfield or CenterBack position how good is that?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/teun-koopmeiners/profil/spieler/360518

Edited by Dave-R

4 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

I get the theory, but:

168cm:

Kante

175cm:

Douglas Luiz

178cm:

Phillips and Fernandinho

181cm:

Nididi and Bissouma

Obviously there’s bigger DCMs around but those are some of the best in the league and they’re not actually that much taller than Luis.

The ball is not in the air as much as it used to be. Anticipation, awareness, pace and passing are way more important than height. Of course if they have height too, great.

• Like 2

Benteke's out of contract in the summer (clearly why he's started playing again) along with Andros Townsend. Those are the sort of signings we would once have been looking at, looking forward to us bringing in about three quality players to take this team up towards the next level. Hopefully we can make our moves before the Euros. No real links as yet though, are there? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

The ball is not in the air as much as it used to be. Anticipation, awareness, pace and passing are way more important than height. Of course if they have height too, great.

It's not, you're right but I always worry when the ball is swung into our box at a corner due to the lack of presence we have in there.

• Like 1

It’s a shame Silas Wamangituka is currently out till November with an ACL injury as he looks like exactly what we need for RW/WF... 

With the BS clickbait headlines this morning of war chests https://tbrfootball.com/aston-villa-reportedly-to-have-260m-transfer-budget-to-spend-on-new-signings/

Aston Villa will reportedly have as much as £260m to spend this summer as club owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens aim for the Midlands club to reach the next level of English football sooner rather than later. According to Birmingham Live, Dean Smith will have a hefty war chest to sign new players with this summer as the Villa manager is set for a third successive year of big spending in the transfer market, with the Villains already spending over £200m in their first two years back in the Premier League following their promotion from the Championship.

Bring on the wild speculation! 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

£260 million war chest? Can we technically spend that and stay in the rules?

Most likely not. It is the Brum Mail however so it could just be a case of finger in the air and come up with a number that will get clicks on their site. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Maybe if we sold a certain someone?

That would add up, for me. I thought we’d have circa £150m this summer, so add on a £100m Jack Grealish sale and you’re there. Nothing would surprise me in football.