Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

heavily linked to arsenal

and he's said that he wants to be a 10, £21m and decent wages, i think he's a better signing than taking a gamble on someone like almada but at the same time think he'll see us beneath him

would be great if arsenal got big eyes and thought draxler was the better option, he's got typical arsenal fraud written all over him

Well, we'll see this summer as he will definately be off.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

There's absolutely no chance we're turning around and start buying 30 year old strikers for huge amounts of money.

With Watkins doing so well, I imagine the only striker we will buy will be someone who is also comfortable with playing out wide.

I would be surprised if we brought someone who was 28 nevermind 30

12 hours ago, paul514 said:

Mikel Oyarzabal is the dream signing we could afford to buy, I'd make a bid just to see if he refuses to move.

I'm starting to come to the view that I know we have to buy a LB,CB and DCM but I would sack off buying anyone else after them with our budget assuming its 120m which is half way between what we spent last season and this season, and throw it all on a wide player of extreme quality.
We have a bunch of players who can play ACM (Sanson, McGinn, Ramsey, Traore) so I can deal with that and I can deal with giving Wes a real chance to see if he can be a good player for us upfront.

LB is back up, so should be 10m'ish??

Not sure we need a CB if we have Revan available (getting rave reviews, albeit at a low level, but also looked good v Liverpool) as we have a strong and robust starting pair - not really missed a game from injury if memory serves me correctly - and Hause is a good third choice as he proved when he came in.  Equally, if we bought in, say, Koopmeiners as our DCM he could play CB in a worst case scenario with Luiz covering at DCM in that scenario.  Also, we don't have the extra games of a European run.

DCM, ACM and RW would be the priority for me for first team upgrades. 

I would also like a young ACM/winger for cover/bench/rotation - Olise would be perfect and, if the rumours are true, has a very good buy-out price.   

Lastly, a second/third choice striker would also be good but last on my list.

I think all of these could be acquired for your amount when netting off the fees for exiting players (Hourihane, Nakamba, Engels, El Ghazi).

I'd also like to see Ramsey and KD get out on loan to a top championship side and play 30+ games next season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villaglint said:

In terms of the summer project there are two asks. Improving the first team and then improving the squad. 

In order to improve the first team there are three players who I'd have my eyes on replacing. 

- Traore - He's got the ability no doubt and it'll be interesting to see how he develops in his second full season. My gut tells me he'll never be consistent enough and will be a mercurial squad player. 

- Barkley (the no.10 slot) - Nothing needs to be said. It hasn't worked out. It's a crucial position and we can do much much better here. 

- One of McGinn or Luiz (not sure which) they both seem capable of being brilliant for about a 1/3 of a season and terrible for the rest. McGinn is strong, great athlete but as much as it pains me to say it because I love the man there are A LOT of games now where I question whether his technique is good enough for a top half PL team. Luiz has got the technique but when he's off form doesnt have the bite you need for that role. His confidence seems to go easily too then starts getting really sloppy with his passing. 

In terms of improving the squad we need another striker in case Watkins gets injured, another winger probably too, LB and probably just chuck a couple of keepers in there too because you never know. 

Assuming 4-2-3-1 it is McGinn that gets replaced at DCM, no question about it.

With Sanson, McGinn, Ramsey and Traore who can play at 10 we can afford not to sign a 10 and go for higher quality in the other positions.

26 minutes ago, Awol said:

I think you’re right on the age issue but some really high scoring forwards do it from the left or right of a front three. For example Tammy central with Watkins on the left could easily work, imo. 

Love Dave’s Dembele shout too, although with Messi moving on this summer he might finally get a chance.

But, given how much financial trouble the Spanish ESL reprobates are in, I reckon some top, top foreign players will be on the move this summer and the PL will be a favoured destination. Citeh, Chelsea etc can only fit so many of them into squads already heaving with talent. 

No, no, no. Why the hell would anyone want to remove Ollie Watkins from the CF position and shunt him out left, and replace him with a player of lesser ability at CF? Utterly ridiculous. There has been talk of Liverpool looking at Watkins to replace Firminho, that’s the level our current CF is at. We keep Watkins at CF and improve the supply line into him, and he goes to the next level of 20+ goals a season. We need a next level defensive midfielder, left sided forward......as 1st priority. We can then think about bringing Grealish in at No.10. I’d say we’d be better served spending our summer budget (I’m assuming around (£120m) on 3 top notch players who go straight into 1st team, no question. I honestly think our back 4 are good enough to go next level, we just need to get in decent back up to replace the outgoing Taylor and Elmo, probably Engels also. Depending upon circumstance and the sums involved, I’d be prepared to mull over offers for JMcG if it meant giving us more ammunition to land one or two top targets. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, barry'sboots said:

LB is back up, so should be 10m'ish??

Not sure we need a CB if we have Revan available (getting rave reviews, albeit at a low level, but also looked good v Liverpool) as we have a strong and robust starting pair - not really missed a game from injury if memory serves me correctly - and Hause is a good third choice as he proved when he came in.  Equally, if we bought in, say, Koopmeiners as our DCM he could play CB in a worst case scenario with Luiz covering at DCM in that scenario.  Also, we don't have the extra games of a European run.

DCM, ACM and RW would be the priority for me for first team upgrades. 

I would also like a young ACM/winger for cover/bench/rotation - Olise would be perfect and, if the rumours are true, has a very good buy-out price.   

Lastly, a second/third choice striker would also be good but last on my list.

I think all of these could be acquired for your amount when netting off the fees for exiting players (Hourihane, Nakamba, Engels, El Ghazi).

I'd also like to see Ramsey and KD get out on loan to a top championship side and play 30+ games next season.

You have very similar views to myself even on who the replacements should be.

I wouldn't buy a back up left back I would buy a genuine challenger Wijndal (AZ) or Sosa (Stuttgart) they are more like 15-20m

I wouldn't let any youth player learn their trade unless they are ridiculously talented, of which we only have a few I am led to believe. If Revan can do it in League Two (I think that is where he went?) then he needs to do it in the Championship.

ACM as I posted just now isn't a priority for me due to the number of good players we have who can play there already, I wouldn't want to dilute the budget.

I'm interested in a second choice striker only who could take the starting role if Wes is never going to make it back, which it looks like he will.

Olise would only be if the release clause is true.

Agree on Conor and Engels but not on Nakamba. El Ghazi's situation is complicated now Trez has that bad injury as we can't sell him and it depends if we manage to bring in two players who can play wide forward such as Olise, if we don't he has to stay.

I would also like to see JR and KD on loan if they aren't going to get a good amount of time in the team, the former might.

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

No, no, no. Why the hell would anyone want to remove Ollie Watkins from the CF position and shunt him out left, and replace him with a player of lesser ability at CF? Utterly ridiculous. There has been talk of Liverpool looking at Watkins to replace Firminho, that’s the level our current CF is at. We keep Watkins at CF and improve the supply line into him, and he goes to the next level of 20+ goals a season. We need a next level defensive midfielder, left sided forward......as 1st priority. We can then think about bringing Grealish in at No.10. I’d say we’d be better served spending our summer budget (I’m assuming around (£120m) on 3 top notch players who go straight into 1st team, no question. I honestly think our back 4 are good enough to go next level, we just need to get in decent back up to replace the outgoing Taylor and Elmo, probably Engels also. Depending upon circumstance and the sums involved, I’d be prepared to mull over offers for JMcG if it meant giving us more ammunition to land one or two top targets. 

Liverpool is a good example of what I’m saying. Mane & Salah both score more than Firmino from the LF/RF positions and he brings great football intelligence and some goals to the middle of the park. A front three of say Watkins, Tammy and Buendia (just for example) would be lethal, it doesn’t mean fewer goals contributions from Watkins imo, who often drifts out to the left anyway. 

I’d prefer to see Jack as a 10 too where he can’t be double marked so easily, but if we do that it’s either two new top-class wingers or a winger and a striker. If rumours are true that Tammy would come back to us then I think he could play with Watkins, instead of one of them being on the bench. 

Nicolas Tagliafico Being linked with a €15mill move to Leeds - the bielsa effect ... That’s the difference a a manger can make. Rather we went down the young with potential route but wouldn’t pass up the chance of signing Tagliafico given a chance. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Nicolas Tagliafico Being linked with a €15mill move to Leeds - the bielsa effect ... That’s the difference a a manger can make. Rather we went down the young with potential route but wouldn’t pass up the chance of signing Tagliafico given a chance. 

I don't think he'd get in the team if we signed him :flag:

16 minutes ago, supermon said:

Apparently we are monitoring matheus pereira, that is Brum mail though. Wouldn't mind a midfield of Grealish Pereira and add in someone like Buendia and then we have a decent attacking threat.

He's obviously a decent player, I don't think he is what we need though.

14 minutes ago, thabucks said:

The Ajax fullback? Is your point that you need a different manager to sign international players at Ajax?

Or foreign names?

Or a CL player?

Or that we don't spend €15 million?

I'm confused.

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

The Ajax fullback? Is your point that you need a different manager to sign international players at Ajax?

Or foreign names?

Or a CL player?

I'm confused.

Is he any good? Has anyone ever seen him play? Is he suited to the premier league at all?

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

He's obviously a decent player, I don't think he is what we need though.

8 goals and 5 assists for a relegation team is pretty decent, he's only going to get better. He is WBA's talisman, could do with another at our club to help Grealish out

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Or foreign names?

Or a CL player?

I'm confused.

Thought it was pretty clear, he feels Bielsa is able to attract a higher calibre player than our current manager.