Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Or, and I think it's what the original poster is suggesting, we need a Neto or ASM type rather than a buendia. And I'd rather both of those to Buendia too.

I'd take Buendia over ASM, close call with Neto. 

2 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

If we signed any of Buendia, Neto or ASM, I’ll be delighted. 

My number one priority would be someone who can take charge and attack through the middle, particularly when Jack isn't there - I'd be looking at mentally strong players who can act quickly and decisively and have the technique to unlock defences with their passing rather than someone who runs with the ball primarily. Passing is always faster than dribbling and we've got players who can score goals - we need someone to play them in. 

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I think we need guile, creativity and technical ability moreso. I'd much rather have a Buendia than an Adama, for instance. 

Nah not for me. We need that as well ofc, but mostly to cover for Grealish. Luiz and Barkley got plenty of technical ability and creativity, but we are so easy to defend against cause our attacking play is so slow. There's no edge to out blade so to speak.

We always look so god damn pedastrian, cause our wingers jam up the middle of the park and there's no pace wide or up front. The difference between our senior side and our academy side last night for instance was night and day when it came at attacking at pace.

We could sign a proper good creative midfielder and we'd still struggle in attack, cause you need pace and directness to break through pressure lines. Possession football is pretty, but we need the effective punch along with it, and that's the one thing we don't have at all.

Getting pace and directness out wide would also balance our attacking play a lot more, cause right now every single team on earth knows all our attacking players prefer to cut inside. We need to mix it up. And by adding pace and directness we would also get more balls into the box, which Watkins need.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Nah not for me. We need that as well ofc, but mostly to cover for Grealish. Luiz and Barkley got plenty of technical ability and creativity, but we are so easy to defend against cause our attacking play is so slow. There's no edge to out blade so to speak.

We always look so god damn pedastrian, cause our wingers jam up the middle of the park and there's no pace wide or up front. The difference between our senior side and our academy side last night for instance was night and day when it came at attacking at pace.

We could sign a proper good creative midfielder and we'd still struggle in attack, cause you need pace and directness to break through pressure lines. Possession football is pretty, but we need the effective punch along with it, and that's the one thing we don't have at all.

For me, this is where the guile would come in and that's what I meant when I talked about a player who would make decisions and execute passes quickly to release the players we have - Watkins, Traore, Trez, AEG etc. could all run onto quick through-balls if we played them in, but we don't do that. For pace to work, you need to have space to run into and if we don't move quickly enough when we pass the ball about, we get left with wingers stuck in positions where they're doubled-up on - like we do now. If you have a CAM doing their job properly, even if they get into those situations, these players will offer an option to get out of that hole and have the sharpness of mind to turn it over quickly to somebody else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

I can’t see us affording him given he’s signed new contract and no one else for that matter , they hung on to Tarkowski because they priced him out of the market and rightfully so no team should be forced to sell if they don’t want to like us and Jack

are you saying teams like Burnley should not be grateful for selling players on the cheap to bigger clubs :P  Sky wont like that

• Haha 1

Dwight McNeill I like and mentioned him before, would be a great signing for us and he will undoubtedly improve.

However Burnley wanted £50 million for Tarkowski so it ain't happening.

I would like Abraham back and £40 million seems fair.

Watkins, Abraham, Wesley, Davis, Barry.

I'd still like to see Sarr here but not sure that's possible now. I think if we're looking for good quality at a good price we need to look to the French league again, teams like Lille with Bamba and Ikone would be great options but whether they'd trade the chance of Prem football and £££ instead of Champions League football I'm not sure. 

Guedes has got to leave Valencia at some point too surely?

Edited by skarroki
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Wouldn’t mind us spending £40m - £50m on Leon Bailey

I am not sure, he seems to have hit and miss seasons at Leverkusen, probably not worth the price for inconsistency

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I am not sure, he seems to have hit and miss seasons at Leverkusen, probably not worth the price for inconsistency

9 goals 9assist this season,  but yes he can be a bit of mercurial talent

10 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

9 goals 9assist this season,  but yes he can be a bit of mercurial talent

yeah his 1st season was incredible as well and think he was linked to United for about 60 million then went off the boil for couple of seasons. He was benched for a good while as well

• Like 1

I cannot see us going and getting Buendia, Cantwell, Sarr from clubs who are coming back up to the premier league and totally expect those players to remain where they are until they’re inevitably relegated next season. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Zatman said:

yeah his 1st season was incredible as well and think he was linked to United for about 60 million then went off the boil for couple of seasons. He was benched for a good while as well

He has that incredible jet heeled speed that we lack sometimes. IMO.

19 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Allan and Hames would've never considered Everton in a million years if Ancelotti wasn't there so it does help. In same way O'Neill probably was edge in getting likes of Petrov, Milner and Carew in first two years of his reign.

Wouldn't beat DS with that stick yet though as in this period it makes sense to concentrate more on up and coming players and working before with Konsa and Watkins helped us get them ahead of other clubs. The test will come though when we start trying to get in more established at top level names. Might not be this summer but have to think we'll start doing it in summer 2022 as we'll have been in prem by four seasons at that point so surely can start offering competitive wages by then which Purslow has said we continue to be restricted by.

I do think a few more South American players will consider us now looking at how well Martinez and Doug have done so they know they can come in and have that little community in the dressing room to help them settle in with Wes aswell so I'd look at the south Americans who are on fringes of some of the bigger teams as a few will be open to season long loan deals, Rodrygo at Real Madrid seems an obvious one there.

Bruno Guimaraes or Leandro Paredes maybe.