Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

There is one thing that is confusing me about this window and the Grealish sale - if we don’t sign anyone else then our plan for if Grealish was sold (both DS and CP were adamant that there were two transfer plans) was to just buy Ings, as this is the only transfer that happened after it was obvious that JG was leaving, which doesn’t make any sense as we needed a striker anyway.

Either that or

a) our plan for if JG was sold hasn’t been able to be implemented due to price/availability of targets etc 

b) it was known at the end of last season that JG was offski…

Edited by alex7783

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

To be fair, how many teams improve their league position every single season? 

It's a process, we've jumped massively in the last few years. I think it will stutter more now as we try to chase down the big boys.

I agree, but even if we finish in the same place as last season I feel that we will be further behind challenging for a place in Europe than this season. Solely based on the business that Spurs, Leicester and West Ham have done. Then you’ve got the usual Top 4 so it’s just going to be even more difficult to challenge.

Why are people panicking about McKennie joining Burnley when he hasn't even joined yet? Like my missus moaning at me to get ready on time to leave the house at 11am to go shopping when it's only 7am in the morning!

1 minute ago, alex7783 said:

There is one thing that is confusing me about this window and the Grealish sale - if we don’t sign anyone else then our plan for if Grealish was sold (both DS and CP were adamant that there were two transfer plans) was to just buy Ings, as this is the only transfer that happened after it was obvious that JG was leaving, which doesn’t make any sense as we needed a striker anyway.

Either that or

a) our plan for if JG was sold hasn’t been able to be implemented due to price/availability of targets etc 

or c) we couldn't sign JWP / ESR and there are no other options at the level we want (ie signing to be the best CM at club)

Just now, alex7783 said:

There is one thing that is confusing me about this window and the Grealish sale - if we don’t sign anyone else then our plan for if Grealish was sold (both DS and CP were adamant that there were two transfer plans) was to just buy Ings, as this is the only transfer that happened after it was obvious that JG was leaving, which doesn’t make any sense as we needed a striker anyway and 

Either that or

Or the plan is use the money from the Grealish sale to fund this window’s transfers and balance the books… rather than having another 100m net loss for the third year running  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I agree, but even if we finish in the same place as last season I feel that we will be further behind challenging for a place in Europe than this season. Solely based on the business that Spurs, Leicester and West Ham have done. Then you’ve got the usual Top 4 so it’s just going to be even more difficult to challenge.

Yep. These teams are starting in a much stronger position than ourselves. We were a Championship team not long back. We're playing catch up and these teams keep strengthening as we do. 

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We peaked too early...

Look, I wanted a DM etc as well.

However, it's nowhere near as gloomy as some are making out, once our key men are fit.

I'm disappointed in our window.  I wanted some of the Jack money redeployed into a "6", an "8" and a back up left winger.  I would have also sent JPB and JJ out to the championship for a season.

But I'm not thinking it's gloomy.  I am just thinking it's not as bright as I'd hoped it would be.  Certain people in the management of the club have talked about aspiring to compete for the European spots in the short term and I think the squad that we have at the minute is probably some way off that.  I feel that it is an opportunity missed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

or c) we couldn't sign JWP / ESR and there are no other options at the level we want (ie signing to be the best CM at club)

To be pedantic that is kind of a) 😉

But yes that is likely the case and therefore suggests we are going into the season with a gap in the squad that we were hoping to fill

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Or the plan is use the money from the Grealish sale to fund this window’s transfers and balance the books… rather than having another 100m net loss for the third year running  

Maybe - but that means we implemented the ‘JG leaving’ plan from the off, so must have known he was leaving much earlier than we have been told…

1 minute ago, alex7783 said:

Maybe - but that means we implemented the ‘JG leaving’ plan from the off, so must have known he was leaving much earlier than we have been told…

Tbf, it was on the cards for years. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s been offers for the last 5 seasons 

2 hours ago, Cizzler said:

This is the first window since NSWE came in that we've not improved. I honestly think our first XI is worse than the start of last season.

We've improved our squad depth at ST, CB and LB,  replaced Barkley with Buendia (who naturally plays wide right) and taken a massive step-down at LW.

We've not spent a penny. Dean Smith can talk up the youngsters in our squad as much as he wants, but they are miles off being good enough to challenge the top 7.

I can't see anything but a mid-table finish for this team. Which is a shame, as it looked a real chance to kick on. 

We had a transfer window of Pepe Reina, Samatta, Borja Baston and bloody Danny Drinkwater 

• Like 1

Personally i'm fine with no more incomings. We know the issues we had in Season one after promotion due to having too many new faces so for me 5 is ample to break in for the season. We also have Sanson back fit which effectively makes 6 and if you add in Carney & Bidace too that's actually 8. Fortunately 3 of those 8 already having been at the club for a while should at least be through the "settling" process which wil help.

Despite having fitness issues to Targett & Cash which largely cost us the Watford game albeit with a couple of fortuitous goals for them. Then missing Grealish, Bailey, Mings, McGinn, Traore, Watkins & Sanson, all big or potentially big players here, we have been picking up points (ok against the lesser lights).

I am excited to see what level we can reach when all fit & ready.

23 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I feel like we ran into this transfer window so strong and have let it slip. We haven’t improved enough to improve on 11th IMO. Our midfield is just so problematic. I’m not sure any of them are good enough for us to progress.  

I agree, with the talent that’s clearly available and the investment those around us  I think we have actually slipped back.

Ings is quality but not sure how it works WITH Watkins et al. Wait and see….

But there is money for an upgrade on the LHS and midfield but it’s not taken. We went for ESR and JWP so the recognition that it was a weakness and intent to remedy was there. 

Lack of a quality progressive DM has has hampered our progress and will continue to do so. 

With evidence so far Wolves, Everton and Brighton will be forces to be reckoned with and will improve. 13th and Smith down the road at seasons end? 

Edited by thunderball