Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

16 minutes ago, Jbvilla909 said:

Were the JWP and ESR bids just for bants ? Or do we have targets in mind that aren't available this summer ? 

Once you get to be a midtable team then it's hard to find players that are going to take you to the next level. No point buying someone for 30m that isnt better than what we already have. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

We just missed out on Danny Drinkwater. Gone to Reading on loan. 

Farewell, sweet prince. 

He could have been the DM of our dreams. 

• Haha 2

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

But we've also lost our best player and got about 8 first team players out 😡

The second point is temporary. 

Overall, I believe we have a stronger squad than last year. You may not agree. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not quite sure why we’ve chosen not to go for Europe this season. I guess the Grealish move has spooked the owners. 

100m spent chap, our aim is still Europe I would expect. it's just some want to cover Smith's arse.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

It is an exciting time I agree, these owners have transformed us in a short space of time, no denying that.

But you mentioned MON and I also have nightmares of Lerner where everything was rosy for a time and then suddenly went to sh** because we didn't progress like he wanted to and then we spent years being cannon fodder. 

I think that's why some of us fans want us to keep progressing rather than standing still which given how our window has gone seems unlikely we will make sufficient progress to truly challenge the European spots.

There's always a worry of history repeating itself but these guys aren't Lerner. They're not trust fund babies. 

Football is about enjoyment, as a fan I haven't had many periods where I've truly been excited about the club so when they come around grasp it, don't focus on what might happen because of a past experience. 

I want us to progress as well and I think our owners are clued up enough to know its going to take time. Look at the investments we've made in the academy. We're building something here. And cementing ourselves in midtable this year, whilst not as glamorous as Europe, wouldn't be a bad thing for the club. 

We've not managed to do it for a long time.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think ESR was a desperate grealish replacement. 

Not sure about JWP. I can only assume we want a midfield player but aren't going to bring in 2nd/3rd choices. 

TBH it's the right thing. Look at the players we signed under Suso, a lot of them are not good enough and need to be replaced. 

There's no need to panic and bring someone in for the sake of it, who we then need to replace in 12 months time. 

We put in bids for Southamptons key player and one of Arsenals best young players. All the bids we put in were dismissed out of hand with both signing new 5 year deals.

There surely should be many many players on our radar or we will soon be going backwards  There is a whole world out there of football players . And we have invested heavily in player recruiting / scouting and the set up behind it. 

. Rob McKenzie i believe was brought in to unearth hidden gems in the foreign market.  Sarr was mentioned as potentially one of those players but then Spurs rolled in and bought him.

Unless i am mistaken there have been no more concrete links to these type of players.  Leicester have smashed it again in terms of bringing Soumare in for 17 mill which is a bargain price these days. But nothing from us . Not even a player with untapped potential that we can take a small risk on this summer with the Grealish cash . 

I just find it very wierd that we have this huge scouting department and it seems the only place where we have been scouting for players unknown to us normal fans is Sandwell ! 

• Haha 1

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

For God's sake, people, try to be a bit more optimistic and positive.

The owners bailed us out just a few short seasons ago when it looked like we were going under, and yet look at us now.

I am not expecting much from this season. Grealish going; disrupted pre season; injuries. But that's ok. The future is bright. The trajectory is upwards. Enjoy it.

I SHALL NOT!

😉

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

100m spent chap, our aim is still Europe I would expect. it's just some want to cover Smith's arse.

You should listen to the manager and the captain. They've both said improvement from last season is progress. 

I'm sure Europe is the aim but no one needs to cover for Smith, its pretty obvious.

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Two right sided forwards and an attacker? 

Slow clap. 

Balance is too off for a push into Europe. Maybe next year.

One of the most exciting players from the Bundesliga and a striker some pundits were saying spurs and City should sign. 

You haven't seen our strongest team yet. No one has. 

• Like 2