Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Our signings are not enough to achieve Europe. Our central midfield is in desperate need of improvement and limits us to mid-table 

When Ashley Young and an oft injured Sanson are they options there with one injury.....yet the club are happy with this cannot see how people say the team is significantly better.

You can argue the attack is ok but even then Bailey has never played a full game and is untested, you can't call him an equivalent to Grealish. The only position we have strengthened is Striker assuming it's 1 of Watkins or Ings any game.

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

For God's sake, people, try to be a bit more optimistic and positive.

The owners bailed us out just a few short seasons ago when it looked like we were going under, and yet look at us now.

I am not expecting much from this season. Grealish going; disrupted pre season; injuries. But that's ok. The future is bright. The trajectory is upwards. Enjoy it.

I use my hard earned to go and watch my team win and be a success. I have alot of respect for our owners and the manager believe it or not. But if were not winning football games, I'm not happy, simples.

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

For me the Midfield is good, the defence is phenomenal,  so we are pretty much set for a push at 6th.

Get ready to be disappointed then.  We aren’t good enough for that.  Great to have that as an aim but unless miracles happen we aren’t strong enough for that.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

I use my hard earned to go and watch my team win and be a success. I have alot of respect for our owners and the manager believe it or not. But if were not winning football games, I'm not happy, simples.

I assume you're a ST holder. In all seriousness, when did you have it better? When did your hard earned get to watch this team win more games in the Premier league?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

We put in bids for Southamptons key player and one of Arsenals best young players. All the bids we put in were dismissed out of hand with both signing new 5 year deals.

There surely should be many many players on our radar or we will soon be going backwards  There is a whole world out there of football players . And we have invested heavily in player recruiting / scouting and the set up behind it. 

. Rob McKenzie i believe was brought in to unearth hidden gems in the foreign market.  Sarr was mentioned as potentially one of those players but then Spurs rolled in and bought him.

Unless i am mistaken there have been no more concrete links to these type of players.  Leicester have smashed it again in terms of bringing Soumare in for 17 mill which is a bargain price these days. But nothing from us . Not even a player with untapped potential that we can take a small risk on this summer with the Grealish cash . 

I just find it very wierd that we have this huge scouting department and it seems the only place where we have been scouting for players unknown to us normal fans is Sandwell ! 

For all my relaxed and positive attitude about the transfer window and our European aims, I do agree with this. I kind of feel that if all you need to succeed at recruitment at Aston Villa is buying high profile players from foreign/lower leagues we could all probably give it a bash. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

I assume you're a ST holder. In all seriousness, when did you have it better? When did your hard earned get to watch this team win more games in the Premier league?

First game wasn't great mate, an no I'm not a ST holder, but I go to nearly every home game I can.

Anyway lets see when all the players are back we can actually see where we are.

Our squad is stronger now than it was, if it wasn't for Grealish's injury we would have qualified for Europe last season or come very close to it, we've lost Grealish but his creativity and goals have been replaced with Buendia, Bailey and Ings.

I think people over exagerate how desperate we are for a new midfielder just out of the thrill of wanting a new signing, our midfield was perfectly fine last season, we had the seventh best defence in the league and only Man City kept more clean sheets, so our DMs can't have done that bad of a job, main problem was creativity whilst Grealish was out, but we've made signings in an attempt to fix that.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

100m spent chap, our aim is still Europe I would expect. it's just some want to cover Smith's arse.

You two just need your own thread, you could call it “perpetual misery” and spend day after endless day finding things to complain about. 😁

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

For me the Midfield is good, the defence is phenomenal,  so we are pretty much set for a push at 6th.

No upgrade of our keeper 

No upgrade of our starting back 4 ( with Terry now gone ) 

No upgrade to our starting central midfield with youngsters now being blooded in there 

Wings .. Grealish gone with Buendia and Bailey coming in 

Striker ..we now have Ings and Watkins which is great. 

I cannot see why that would result in going a further 5 places up the league to be fair but love your positivity 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Get ready to be disappointed then.  We aren’t good enough for that.  Great to have that as an aim but unless miracles happen we aren’t strong enough for that.

Didn't realise Wet Spams team was a whole lot better than what we have.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, macandally said:

You two just need your own thread, you could call it “perpetual misery” and spend day after endless day finding things to complain about. 😁

VT Emo vs Goth thread

Goth Kids GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Our squad is stronger now than it was, if it wasn't for Grealish's injury we would have qualified for Europe last season or come very close to it, we've lost Grealish but his creativity and goals have been replaced with Buendia, Bailey and Ings.

I think people over exagerate how desperate we are for a new midfielder just out of the thrill of wanting a new signing, our midfield was perfectly fine last season, we had the seventh best defence in the league and only Man City kept more clean sheets, so our DMs can't have done that bad of a job, main problem was creativity whilst Grealish was out, but we've made signings in an attempt to fix that.

I genuinely think you’re in for a shock this season. 

Admire the positivity though 👍

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

First game wasn't great mate, an no I'm not a ST holder, but I go to nearly every home game I can.

Anyway lets see when all the players are back we can actually see where we are.

No I agree. Watford was awful and Newcastle wasn't pretty. But still, surely its been better than it has been for a long time. 

It's a shame you couldn't go down much last year. If you go to most home games you deserved to get something back from all the bad times. 

Hopefully when we're at full strength you'll get to see some big wins this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I am. Absolutely. Happiest I've been supporting this club since MON left. 

Apart from those MON years, I can't remember a time I've been more excited about our future. A time I've liked so many of our players and manager. 

What's there to be unhappy about? You've seen life in the championship. What's so bad about average in the Premier league? 

I might get bored of it after a few years. But right now? Iove it. Absolutely love it.

With you on this one man. Happy to admit as well that I was more than sceptical of Smith when he was first given the job and felt way too much of the fanfare he was getting from the fans - ironically on VT as much as anywhere - was down to a combination of him being a fan himself and Brentford being what felt like one of our many bogey teams.

I'm delighted with how much he's proved me wrong. I wavered a bit in the survival season pre-lockdown but he turned things around then too and I feel like I know better than to get on his back now (no that I ever did mind). Seeing him get slated more last season than ever before was just bizarre to me given the circumstances.  This season, who knows, but he's more than earned my patience and I'm excited to see how it goes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

For me I’m not denying what you are saying, I think the issue for me is not taking this opportunity now to try to make the next step when we had the chance.

We’ve had it a couple of times in my time watching the Villa when we are just at that pivotal point and we don’t take it like when we were close to signing Juninho.  This may be a pivotal moment, it may not.  

Financial issues across clubs in Europe, money in our bank and some of competitors like Arsenal struggling.  

We could’ve almost cemented our credentials as a European placed team this season but we haven’t taken that opportunity.  

We have made some great signings but I’m assuming that most don’t think it’s enough for Europe.  

Everything is great, no doubt but it could’ve been so much better and it only needed a bit more.  

We can be happy with where we are but still know we missed out on an opportunity.

• Like 2

I didn't say I think we will do better, just that we have a better squad taking into account the new signings, new players from last season now having a years more experience, and youngsters emerging. You can never truely know how good or bad a transfer window is until the end of season, we've had many transfer 🪟s in the past where people have been excited and predicted big things but it hasn't quite worked out like that.

8 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

No upgrade of our keeper 

No upgrade of our starting back 4 ( with Terry now gone ) 

No upgrade to our starting central midfield with youngsters now being blooded in there 

Wings .. Grealish gone with Buendia and Bailey coming in 

Striker ..we now have Ings and Watkins which is great. 

I cannot see why that would result in going a further 5 places up the league to be fair but love your positivity 

I would expect that a lot of our recent signings will improve: Cash, Konsa, Luiz, Traore, Sanson and Nakamba. It is fairly normal for players to get better as they get a little older and more experienced

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Didn't realise Wet Spams team was a whole lot better than what we have.

But it is and proved it last season with 65 points haul.  Our squad is not a 65 point squad.  They are more balanced, stronger and more experienced.

• Like 1