Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

The second point is temporary. 

Overall, I believe we have a stronger squad than last year. You may not agree. 

I think overall probably yes but not by much. 

Up front and out wide we are, but Grealish is out and that is a huge hole. You could say Bailey, Buendia, Ings in, Grealish, Barkley out. But Trez will also miss most of next season. 

CM there is no difference to last season, not sure why we haven't signed anyone here.  

Defence is probably marginally stronger than last season, Tuanzebe is an upgrade on Engels and Young on Taylor, Guilbert going out on loan (if true) makes no sense though.

We're weaker in the GK department with Steer our no2, last season we had Heaton who is a much better no2. 

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But it is and proved it last season with 65 points haul.  Our squad is not a 65 point squad.  They are more balanced, stronger and more experienced.

Hammers were close to relegation the previous season. I suspect they were punching above their weight a little last season and may not be as impressive this season

• Like 2

Overall I’m at a 6/10 for the window but the main reason for that is we lost our best player. Every signing is a risk we know Jack was good for us but we don’t know yet how well Emi, Bailey and Ings will work out for us. If they work out well then yes you could argue we are less reliant on one player and therefore stronger overall. But nobody has any idea on that point yet. 

It’s disappointing we haven’t used the big money to push on but I guess they were mindful of wasting it and willing to wait for the right players. Hopefully it all works out and the new players settle in well as part of a longer term plan. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Okonokos said:

To the people who are absolutely desperate for us to sign another midfielder, what happens if when Sanson gets his chance he turns out to be amazing? What if Luiz realises his potential this season? What if McGinn has the season of his life? What if Ramsey and Chuk become unstoppable? Etc.

What if a new signing looks good on paper but actually fails to settle?

Do we really need one as bad as people are making out?

I'd like one but I don't think it's a necessity.

If we wanna kick on, we need one!

7 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

To the people who are absolutely desperate for us to sign another midfielder, what happens if when Sanson gets his chance he turns out to be amazing? What if Luiz realises his potential this season? What if McGinn has the season of his life? What if Ramsey and Chuk become unstoppable? Etc.

Hell of a lot of what if’s there.

Edited by jim
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

There's always a worry of history repeating itself but these guys aren't Lerner. They're not trust fund babies. 

Football is about enjoyment, as a fan I haven't had many periods where I've truly been excited about the club so when they come around grasp it, don't focus on what might happen because of a past experience. 

I want us to progress as well and I think our owners are clued up enough to know its going to take time. Look at the investments we've made in the academy. We're building something here. And cementing ourselves in midtable this year, whilst not as glamorous as Europe, wouldn't be a bad thing for the club. 

We've not managed to do it for a long time.

Another midtable finish wouldn't be a bad thing this season but there has to be a plan.

We can't sit in midtable for the next few years without progressing otherwise our best players will leave for European football and we'll be back to square one. 

It's certainly potentially an exciting time for the club but there have been many false dawns for the club over the decades. I don't want this to be another one.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

What if is the key part of this imaginary argument, and I don't think it's mad to be a little concerned about where we are right now. Sure, it may all turn our rosey, but there are a lot of what ifs right now. I have been so optimistic about Villa since Smith took over but this is the first time I've been a little unsure. I'm definitely not feeling it. 

Edited by Rolta

4 minutes ago, jim said:

Hell of a lot of what if’s there.

Precisely my point. All I've read in this thread for the last few weeks is what if's and hypothetical scenarios.

The very nature of transfers mean they are unpredictable. We may sign a world beater and he may not even get into the team.

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

Very low fee imo, would have liked him here but we don’t need him now I don’t think

Don't worry...  Within the hour, someone will moan about how we should have bought him instead of Ings for that price.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

The one thing that all of us can probably agree on is that standing still is actually regressing in the premier league

. Every season since coming to the premier we have bought a new , better striker. 

Every season since we came up we have bought a better defender .

Every season we have bought a better winger than what we had ( bar Jack ) 

but with midfield We got Conor 4.5  seasons ago McGinn 3 seasons ago and Nakamba / Luiz 2 seasons ago with Sanson this past January.. And we have brought through Ramsey and now this season Chukwuemeka.

£45 million total outlay .the numbers do not lie 

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

Don't worry...  Within the hour, someone will moan about how we should have bought him instead of Ings for that price.

I'm getting the Partridge shrug ready for when he inevitably scores on his debut.

• Haha 1