Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

It depends what we mean by exciting. If we are looking at what it was like when we signed the player then Wes, Doug, Buendia, Bailey, Ings, Ollie, Mings, Martinez were all exciting transfers. If we look at how the player has worked out the Konsa is surely an exciting signing

Apologies I was excited by Martinez, saw a lot of him during the first lockdown and thought he looked a great keeper, on the others hindsight is a wonderful thing. Sensible signings absolutely, exciting,  not really imo.

11 minutes ago, macandally said:

So because we haven’t bought anyone for two weeks after a £95m splurge means the owners are selling up?

Really?  Talk about paranoia🤯

It's just a theory. Randy was all in until man city came in and blew his chance of the champions League out the water. After that moment he was looking to sell up. The owners may have come in with the intention of getting champions league, but have no realised there is no parity in this league. It's fundamentally loaded to keep 6 or so teams on top and F everyone else.

But just because you don't like the potential theory doesn't mean it isn't worth considering. I think basically there is no money to spend as we are complying to FFP. The Grealish money has helped fill the gap of the £200m spent over the past few years.

Gk: Martinez, Steer*

Full backs: Targett, Cash, Young*

CB's: Mings, Konsa, Hause, Axel

CM: Luiz, Nakamba, Sanson, McGinn, JJ, Chuk*

Wingers: Buendia, Bailey, Traore, El Ghazi, JPB, A.Ramsey

ST: Watkins, Ings

*GK would be fine but for the amount of games Emi may potentially miss. Steer is decent but totally untested at this level.

*Full backs are ok, but an injury to cash or targett and can we really rely on Young for a huge amount of games? I don't know but feel its a mistake to let Fred go on loan.

*Cb's are fine.

*Cm is extremely light. Ignoring the argument of whether we play with a dcm or 3 box to box, we currently have 3 top 12 cm's. Ramsey isnt a million miles away but lacks experience at this level. Chik is a huge prospect but only 17. Marv not good enough. Out of the 3 top 12 cm's, one is unknown and injury prone. The other two struggle for consistency. Haven't included buendia as he is a winger and that is 100% his best position.

*I think we are really good here IF we keep them fit. Even with buendia potentially missing through isolating, Traore is a player that I think will be even better this year.

*ST is our strongest position. 

Overall we've bought some top players but i will be really disapointed if another mid doesnt come in tomorrow, which i dont expect it to.

3 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

The owners may have come in with the intention of getting champions league, but have no realised there is no parity in this league

Do you honestly believe the owners were not aware of what it would take to get to he Champions League and that they made a mistake. Edens experience alone would give them a huge indication of what is required to be successful with a sports club.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

It's just a theory. Randy was all in until man city came in and blew his chance of the champions League out the water. After that moment he was looking to sell up. The owners may have come in with the intention of getting champions league, but have no realised there is no parity in this league. It's fundamentally loaded to keep 6 or so teams on top and F everyone else.

But just because you don't like the potential theory doesn't mean it isn't worth considering. I think basically there is no money to spend as we are complying to FFP. The Grealish money has helped fill the gap of the £200m spent over the past few years.

It’s definitely a possibility but given that they’re very experienced businessmen, I would have thought they’d realised most of this before they went all in on us. 

For me personally, whilst I’d love European football, the urgency for it to occur asap has reduced since selling JG. I’m quite happy to give it a couple of extra seasons and just enjoy the ride. 

That said, although we’ll finish mid table, the FA Cup is ours this season. 

1 minute ago, pintpotvilla said:

A certain Brazilian International may come into contention there

That's what I mean though. We have a misfiring Luiz and we never know what McGinn we are going to get on the day, otherwise we are counting on Nakamba, Chuka or Ramsey to fire us to the dizzy heights of 10th.

No doubt we have players with some Skills, but we are still a bit of a pussy squad without a big midfielder. Missing piece for me.

6 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Can attract better players from outside the UK.

If the PL isn’t a greater pull than playing in the back arse of nowhere on a Thursday nights, then we might be in for years of disappointing transfer windows.

58 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Then Smith and Purslow need to stop bigging it up. 

Match of the day after the Newcastle game. Lineker asks Smith what the aim is and he said improvement on last season. He's said that multiple times. Mings came out and said something similar recently as well

They really aren't. People are making a big deal out of it, because it justifies their moans. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Can attract better players from outside the UK.

Also we'll have a better chance of keeping our better players like Martinez, Konsa, Mings and Watkins for example.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Match of the day after the Newcastle game. Lineker asks Smith what the aim is and he said improvement on last season. He's said that multiple times. Mings came out and said something similar recently as well

They really aren't. People are making a big deal out of it, because it justifies their moans. 

Well said Spot on