Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Random question, but if Dean doesn’t want a true 6 or out and out DM… why did we sign Nakamba?

I've got a feeling he didn't really know much about him and he was just a random Suso supermarket sweep type purchase. We'd tried to sign Phillips earlier in the window and ended up with Luiz and Nakamba instead. I think it was just about getting numbers in at that point and it was left to Suso to sort. 

10 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

We have Mcginn, Luiz, Nakamba, Carney, Ramsey and Sanson and maybe even You g who we all should expect to play a part during the season. That's already enough CMs. 

Nakamba is shite.

Carney and Ramsey should be loaned out why don't we have another championship club blood our youngsters for a season or two that's what the top teams do.

Haven't seen enough of Sanson to make a judgement but he's not a CDM and McGinn and Luiz are not CDM's either and all too much alike.

We need proven quality in the CDM area to push on.

Its frustrating we always lack that final piece of the jigsaw and with these new owners and their "ambitions" i really thought we would seal the deal for once.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've got a feeling he didn't really know much about him and he was just a random Suso supermarket sweep type purchase. We'd tried to sign Phillips earlier in the window and ended up with Luiz and Nakamba instead. I think it was just about getting numbers in at that point and it was left to Suso to sort. 

Yeah I've got no doubt Nakamba was 4th/5th choice. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

If we tried to sign Philips that suggests that he would like a 6 or typical DM even more…

It does seem like Pitarch let Smith down with the general quality of signings…

but I do believe that we sign players “on committee” and that Dean has a big say or gives the final go ahead or not…

Lange has proved to be better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

On a random note, surprised Wet Spam didn't go all out for Lingard. He ain't getting a game now Ronaldo's signed, wants game too. Don't think he is for us though.

I think he's trying to run out his contract at United so he gets a proper one with whoever he signs with next season, and I say more power to him. He's 29, it'll probably be his last big contract + signing on fee. He's already shown he can keep fit and hit the ground running despite playing little to no football for a year.

I would have loved him here though. We'd be absolutely set for the next few years with Bailey/Buendia/AEG/Lingard/Traore/JPB/Ollie fighting it out for 2 or 3 spots behind the striker. We're still well stocked as it is mind.

11 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Why do we need to replace a player that wasn't here last year?

Because the reason why Conor wasn’t here last season was Ross Barkley. Now we don’t have Barkley either 

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Man City wanted Kane and won the League last year................................think about that for a second!

We’ve all thought way too much about Manchester City this summer 😂

At the start of the window I thought we needed a DMC and an AMC if Grealish stayed. I think this would have seen us really kick on and push for Europe. 

With Grealish gone, we then needed a AML, an AMC and a DMC at the very least really.

We’ve signed two attacking players who both prefer playing on the right and a striker. All good players, but not focused on the areas that needed strengthening IMO.

Will be a disappointing season. Not expecting much at all but consolidation isn’t the end of the world I suppose. I just bought into this idea of pushing for Europe especially knowing what I know off the pitch at the club. There is no chance of that now. I actually think we’re more likely to finish closer to a relegation  spot than a European spot.

5 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Nakamba is shite.

Carney and Ramsey should be loaned out and have another championship club blood our youngsters that's what the top teams do.

We need proven quality in the CDM area to push on.

Its frustrating we always lack that final piece of the jigsaw and with these new owners and their "ambitions" i really thought we would seal the deal for once.

Marvelous thanks you for your kind words and reminds you that he had 2 brilliant performances in the last 2 games of last season!!

Liverpool tend to keep their top youngsters and quite a few of them played quite a lot last year and they didn't do too bad did they?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KH** said:

Because the reason why Conor wasn’t here last season was Ross Barkley. Now we don’t have Barkley either 

No, but we do have Sanson, The Ramseys and Chukwuemeka who are all better options. 

37 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I’m not so fussed about having an off season this one. We got a crop of youngsters getting game time and transfers wise, we’re in a financial plus. 
the signings that’s we have got all looked good, so far.

It’s a shame we’ve had this awful start with preseason prep, injuries, covid and the international isolations. It’s hard to  really feel upbeat about our chances. Yet, it’s just a hurdle to the plan, just a delay.

European football isn’t expected by me this season.  But with the youngsters coming through and the books looking more balanced. We setting up a nice launch pad for a sustainable go at getting in to Europe next season or the one after.

The time frame may not be matching up with what is stated by Smith or the Club, but Villa is still on the right path.. it’s a process not a race 

Do you not think a poorer performance this season will hamper our ability to attract the quality of player needed for a european push?

4 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Pretty poor from villa, the board can forget Europe this season. Closest we will get is playing Southampton or Norwich.... 

• Thanks 2

Let's just say Guilbert ends up leaving too and there's no more incomings, leaves us with:

Martinez, Steer

Cash, Mings, Konsa, Tuanzebe, Hause, Targett, Young

Luiz, Nakamba, McGinn, Sanson, Ramsey, Chuk

Bailey, Buendia, Traore, El Ghazi, JPB (Trez injured)

Watkins, Ings, Davis

That is quite light for me I have to say and doesn't leave much wriggle room at all when you factor in injuries, internationals (AFCON included) etc, it's a few players short of the 25 you're permitted to name in a squad and that's not even factoring in that the young lads don't count towards the quota. All going well with injuries and covid I think the strongest 11 you could put out and the bench makes for extremely encouraging reading, but as we've seen already this season it doesn't always work out that way and I'd feel a lot more comfortable had we another keeper and midfielder in. Just seems strange we'd let Hourihane/Wes/Guilbert go for this reason alone.

Edited by Indigo
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Fair enough. I’d argue that he has absolutely no chance of doing that unless we’ve been relegated (possibly twice).

What a ridiculous post!! If the guy thinks Barry is that good well that's great isn't it. The lad looks good beyond his years. My best mate worked for his Dad so he also knows

a lot about him. By the way my mates Dad was manager when we won the European cup so there is plenty of knowledge there.

• Thanks 1