Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

33 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I’d take Abraham’s record over Ings as a 23 yr old.

Don't get people jerking off over Abraham ..... has consistently failed to prove himself at the top level. We need and deserve better !

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

You are forgetting we sold Samatta for about 7.5m too. So net spend is about -12.5m. That still doesn't change the fact we spent about 95m on players

Yes we have at least reinvested pretty much all the money, but essentially in terms of spending we’ve stood still unlike teams around us.

Also that £95m was spent on three players who play in the attacking third. We’ve completely neglected the rest of the team including CM where we really an improvement on who we currently have.

7 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

You only looked at the additions to the squad. A big part of why we progressed last season was multiple players improving from the season before. Targett, Konsa, McGinn all improved from their initial PL season. If we get improvements from another 3, let's say Ramsey, Cash, and Traore then between that and the new additions we should see a measurable level of improvement in the squad. 

Good point . I was just trying to find a way to assess it if i am honest for the squad to see where we are. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Danishlad said:

The defending against toon wasn't good as you might think. Massive free run on goal from Wilson who missed. And the offside penalty incident was poor defending too

After 2 blatant trips on our players in the preceding phases of play, then a push in the chest of Mings by Wilson.

6 hours ago, est1874 said:

This obviously does not tell the full story.

You can't really quantify all of the ground Gresford used to cover for us and reduce it to one quantitative position on the pitch.

You've noted we're worse off at LW without him, but we are dramatically worse off all across the middle and frontline without him. He gained ground, made space for teammates in other positions, and caused havoc inside the box.

Agreed. He was a 1 man wrecking machine at times . Seeing Bidace playing that pass for the 6th goal on Tuesday though so slowly reminded me of Mike Lubb . Made me feel a bit better about our future as the only other villa player i saw do that in recent memory was .u know who

18 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Don't get people jerking off over Abraham ..... has consistently failed to prove himself at the top level. We need and deserve better !

That’s rubbish, his goal per minute in the last two years in the PL is up there.  Just because Tuchel didn’t fancy him when he came in doesn’t discount that. Tuchel wants the best in the world like Lukaku, but only a handful of players are that level. Tammy has proved he can play at this level.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That’s rubbish, his goal per minute in the last two years in the PL is up there.  Just because Tuchel didn’t fancy him when he came in doesn’t discount that. Tuchel wants the best in the world like Lukaku, but only a handful of players are that level. Tammy has proved he can play at this level.

He was Chelsea’s joint top scorer last season. If we bought Tammy people would have been over the moon, he has all the right attributes technically, physically and mentally. I’m actually glad for him that he has got to link up with Jose again and I’d be happy if we were in a position to be linked to him again in the future. 

• Like 1

Just now, lexicon said:

If we ever were interested in Hughes, the latest flurry of transfer activity has cleared the way for him. 

I would hope we'd be aiming a little higher than Hughes now but who really knows. 

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's as realistic as people thinking Jack Grealish is better than 3 top players combined. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

I'm pretty sure stats wise, Buendia, Bailey, and Ings are in the upper echelons , in Europe, in their respective positions.

Old truth is that the one that gets the best player wins the trade. We have undoubtably a more balanced squad, which is valuable. Do we have a decisive edge, like we did with Jack, will be the key question that I don't know the answer to, yet. Ings is my best bet to be that difference maker.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Anybody trying to convince me, that Jack Grealish, ONE player, is better than the total of Danny Ings, Leon Bailey, EMI Buendia, a more seasoned Traore and Ollie Watkins is having a laugh.

He is good, but he isn't Ronaldinho or Prime Messi/Ronaldo and Brazilian Ronaldo ffs.

If he covers more ground and creates more havoc than three of the best forward players In Europe combined, we've been shafted, need to ask for refunds on them all.

We've played 2 games in the league since his departure, absolutely ZERO at full strength and some dramatic statements are being made.

The squad is undoubtedly stronger

The main weakness, as it was WITH him in the team, is the middle of the park..

I agree with that but there is also the potential that Dean may be a more effective manager with Jack gone. At a real basic level, the the Aston Villa plan A tactic was 'Get the ball to Jack'. When Jack was injured we didn't have an alternative and there was nobody. to take on the creative leader role. That plan A is now gone and we need to do something different. This lifts the shackles off Dean and also opens it up for other members of the team to shine. Selling Jack may turn out to be the best thing that happened us

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

I’d take Abraham’s record over Ings as a 23 yr old.

But Ings was bought to deliver goals in the next 2 to 3 seasons, he is not one for the future and is not a player to develop over time. So the comparison should be a 29 year old Ings versus a 23 year old Tammy. 

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree with that but there is also the potential that Dean may be a more effective manager with Jack gone. At a real basic level, the the Aston Villa plan A tactic was 'Get the ball to Jack'. When Jack was injured we didn't have an alternative and there was nobody. to take on the creative leader role. That plan A is now gone and we need to do something different. This lifts the shackles off Dean and also opens it up for other members of the team to shine. Selling Jack may turn out to be the best thing that happened us

Not to mention for every bit of brilliance the times he had easy pass option and was greedy but we let it go for the good stuff. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul33 said:

Don't get people jerking off over Abraham

I agree but I do understand some sentimentality towards Tammy after scoring lots of goals for us in the Championship without which we would not have been promoted. Also, he comes across as a nice guys too and appeared to like his time at Villa. Also, he had the chance to leave us in the Jan window and cancel his loan and got to Wolves and he rejected this. He is in credit with fans at Villa Park. But, from a footballing perspective we should be looking for better than Tammy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1